Dudebro Nation

Full Version: Monday, January 23 2012 - Year of the Dragon
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Pete Nice Wrote:Why are tools so expensive? I understand you have to pay for the quality stuff, but it still seems like they are marked up at like 1000% profit to me. It can't take that much to make as the expense is to buy. To me it is kind of like the inflation on medical costs in the US, pure profit and marked up way more than it should be.
It's a conspiracy. Contractors are in with the tool companies. Inflated tool costs sway people not to DIY so they hire contractors instead.
Brian Wrote:
LeNeve Wrote:Furniture making takes way more patience than I have now. I made a pretty sweet gun cabinet out of oak in high school though. smooth as glass. Shop teacher made you sand that shit with paper bags.
I can handle regular home renovation stuff, but I can't do furniture either.
his last project was making round bowels from individual pieces of wood. I dont understand.

looked very similar to this

[Image: 3571wood_bowls.jpg]
LeNeve Wrote:
Pete Nice Wrote:Being an auto mechanic sounds like a fun job to me. I would do that if I knew how.

it's not to bad. the guys that hate it are the people that don't really know what they are doing.
or they are flat rate technicians who get jerked around by the management Confusedad:
Brian Wrote:
Pete Nice Wrote:Why are tools so expensive? I understand you have to pay for the quality stuff, but it still seems like they are marked up at like 1000% profit to me. It can't take that much to make as the expense is to buy. To me it is kind of like the inflation on medical costs in the US, pure profit and marked up way more than it should be.
It's a conspiracy. Contractors are in with the tool companies. Inflated tool costs sway people not to DIY so they hire contractors instead.

I feel that they know mechanics need to buy them, so they mark up the good shit and basically say "fuck you, you have to buy them anyway"
I'm sure the stuff you use for surveilence isn't cheap...right?

but because it is a limited market, the price will go up. Supply and demand.
I think the caller is screwing with them
Pete Nice Wrote:
Brian Wrote:

I feel that they know mechanics need to buy them, so they mark up the good shit and basically say "fuck you, you have to buy them anyway"
I was just kidding......I agree with you.
Pete Nice Wrote:
LeNeve Wrote:
Pete Nice Wrote:Being an auto mechanic sounds like a fun job to me. I would do that if I knew how.

it's not to bad. the guys that hate it are the people that don't really know what they are doing.

I think I would really like it, and when I do something, I always do it the best possible, so I would make sure I knew what I was doing.

I also think it is a job with HUGE potential to make side money doing shit at discounted prices for friends and family, yet still a good enough price to make really good side cash.

yeah, the side money is there. I get it all the time, don't even really solicitate either. I'd be a busy mofo , if I wanted too.
This caller's annoying.
LeNeve Wrote:
Derick Wrote:
beckster Wrote:You would think they would have it that way, but the microwave is wired through the bathroom and part of 2 of the bedrooms. The washing machine even shares with another socket in the kitchen. It's a strange configuration.
someone fucked your house up

pretty much just shot a wiring load on everything, then hooked it up where it landed.

Yup. I didn't build it, just moved into it.
We had to make bowls like that for our first shop project, It was gay.
if yoga is only for working their core.....then why did they invent yoga pants?
Derick Wrote:
Brian Wrote:
LeNeve Wrote:Furniture making takes way more patience than I have now. I made a pretty sweet gun cabinet out of oak in high school though. smooth as glass. Shop teacher made you sand that shit with paper bags.
I can handle regular home renovation stuff, but I can't do furniture either.
his last project was making round bowels from individual pieces of wood. I dont understand.

looked very similar to this

[Image: 3571wood_bowls.jpg]
I wouldn't know where to start....Google I guess.
Brian Wrote:
Derick Wrote:
beckster aka Tatertits Wrote:You would think they would have it that way, but the microwave is wired through the bathroom and part of 2 of the bedrooms. The washing machine even shares with another socket in the kitchen. It's a strange configuration.
someone fucked your house up
Sounds like it wasn't all built at the same time.
It's a tri-level. I think it was just a lazy electrician.
Brampton Wrote:
LeNeve Wrote:

or they are flat rate technicians who get jerked around by the management Confusedad:

Yeah, I would probably want top be like LeNeve, full time hourly with benefits.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17