Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows xp sp3 upgrade
Im using an old pc that I had in my closet for a few years since my laptop broke down awhile back. The desktop has xp service pack 3 on it and i want to upgrade to windows 7. is there an upgrade disk that i can use or which basic package of windows 7 do i need to get? Ive seen some nice prices for 7 starter to premium disks on ebay but ive been told that wont work for me. any help?

p.s. here is an F,M,K for your troubles

[Image: 374822_323130657709973_231873363502370_1...0545_n.jpg]
@ilikegirlsdaily
You have to wipe it and buy 7 (not upgrade)

FKM
Joe Wrote:You have to wipe it and buy 7 (not upgrade)

FKM
\
which version of 7?
@ilikegirlsdaily
If it's an older PC, 32-bit I guess.

M, K, F
Use a 32-bit version of W7. Full install required because you can't upgrade from XP....just Vista. Have a working computer handy to start googling the device drivers that you'll end up needing. You may have to jump through some hoops to get it done. 1GB RAM minimum.
F, M, K

Do not get Windows 7 Starter.
That's pretty much only for netbooks. And it limits the number of programs you can run at once, and it's like 3.
You can't change the background, it just sucks.
I don't think you need anything more then Home Premium.
The Media Center is pretty sweet.
There are copies of W7 ultimate out there for free if you know where to look. Find one and then Google "daz loader" ....you're set.
Hondo Wrote:There are copies of W7 ultimate out there for free if you know where to look. Find one and then Google "daz loader" ....you're set.

I have a copies of the 64 and 32 bit Ultimate that I got before W7 even came out, and all I have to do is block one update.
:happy:
Chip Wrote:
Hondo Wrote:There are copies of W7 ultimate out there for free if you know where to look. Find one and then Google "daz loader" ....you're set.

I have a copies of the 64 and 32 bit Ultimate that I got before W7 even came out, and all I have to do is block one update.
Would this work for a netbook. I have W7 starter on mine. It's pretty ghey.
Everything I say is not true and all things I claim to have done or do are just made up for argument sake!!
[Image: nph_loves_mondays.gif]
Absolutely. I put W7 32-bit ultimate on my 2009 model Gateway LT2005U netbook that originally came with XP. Not a bit of problem. If you're willing to track down some drivers and play around with it a bit I think you could just about put W7 on anything that has 1GB of RAM in it.
i bleed green Wrote:
Chip Wrote:

Would this work for a netbook. I have W7 starter on mine. It's pretty ghey.

I've put W7 Ultimate on a netbook, and it runs fine.
The real reason they stripped 7 down so much on netbooks is that the netbook makers wanted the cheapest version of windows possible, not because the netbooks couldn't run it.
Hondo Wrote:Use a 32-bit version of W7. Full install required because you can't upgrade from XP....just Vista. Have a working computer handy to start googling the device drivers that you'll end up needing. You may have to jump through some hoops to get it done. 1GB RAM minimum.

I just upgraded an old pc that I originally purchased in 2003. I upgraded the following : 1 gb sdram to Corsair XMS 8GB DDR3-1333 (PC3-10666), athon 2 processor to amd phenom x2 840 boxed processor 3.2gb, msi 880G-E45 Socket AM3 880G ATX AMD and 350 watt power suppy to 480 watt ps that came with this Logisys Exotic Ruby Red Front Panel Mini Tower ATX Computer Case. now I had won a bid on ebay for a windows 7 ultimate cd with cd key from some dude for $60 new but the dipshit doenst want to complete the sale since it didnt end up selling for what he wanted to get for it but forgot to place a reserve price on it. So Im still using xp pro sp3 until I get this resolved.
@ilikegirlsdaily

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Windows 8 Donginator 9 3,849 02-11-2013, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Donginator
  windows Derick 4 2,146 04-07-2011, 03:50 PM
Last Post: Brampton
  Windows 7 DaveP 28 9,129 10-23-2009, 11:32 PM
Last Post: burnt_servo
  Windows Mobile Apps DaveP 1 1,304 08-11-2009, 09:20 AM
Last Post: Joe
  Windows Vista & SATA Disk Drive Glitch Brian 18 6,131 07-15-2009, 04:21 PM