Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 8
Does anyone else have Windows 8 yet?

I purchased a Dell from a deal I saw on Slickdeals, it came with Windows 8

At first I hated it, but after 2 weeks I really like the setup & I do not miss the start button.
Its fast but there are a few issues, which I will ask below.

When I first started the computer, I went though the usual setup. I signed in with my Microsoft account/Xbox Account & made the user as the administrator

Basic issues which may get fixed over time
- programs/hardware have not released updates for windows 8, only option is to use the software for Windows 7
- smaller issue- I copied some wallpaper from windows 7, when I use it on Windows for my desktop at 1080p. The pictures are very grainy & not crisp. Wallpaper that came with Windows 8 are very crisp. I have my monitor hooked up by HDMI.

Main issue
- with the administrator account- I am unable to connect to the Microsoft store & none of my metro apps work
I tried all the troubleshooters I found online, & none of them solve the issue
- I tried to create a separate user for the computer, & the metro apps work fine on the new user

I would hate to re-install windows, is this my only option?
aka ChrisinPCNY aka Chris3mes1
Xbox- D0NGINAT0R
I'm using Windows 8 at home and should be going to it at work in the near future.

I had problems with the store. I had to do a refresh of the system to get the store and some metro apps to work. It's in the repair section. If I had my laptop in front of me I'd be able to tell you exactly where it is. It was the same problem where it works for one user, but doesn't for another. The other option you have is to create another user, make it administrator and then blow away the profile for the 1st administrator. When you log back in as the administrator your store should work.
Joe Wrote:I'm using Windows 8 at home and should be going to it at work in the near future.

I had problems with the store. I had to do a refresh of the system to get the store and some metro apps to work. It's in the repair section. If I had my laptop in front of me I'd be able to tell you exactly where it is. It was the same problem where it works for one user, but doesn't for another. The other option you have is to create another user, make it administrator and then blow away the profile for the 1st administrator. When you log back in as the administrator your store should work.

Thanks Joe,
I did create a local account yesterday & made it administrator. Then the account that does not work, I switched it to a standard account & had the same issues. The new admin local account all the metro apps worked fine
- I also tried to make the account that does not work a local account & it did not work. I kept on getting error messages
- I also tried to refresh the system with the new administrator account & it said there is a problem & can't be done.

My issue is I already installed all my software on the account that does not work.
Here are the 3 options I have, which one would be better.
1. Try to refresh with my original account
2. Make new account, make it the administrator & re-install all the software & delete the original account
3. Re-install Windows- I had dell send me the operating disk
Xbox- D0NGINAT0R
Before you do anything make sure you have every single Windows Update installed for 8. I know one of the first times I installed it my Metro App problem went away after updates.

I would try to refresh with the original account first.

If all else fails do a re-install, but before you start customizing anything or installing apps makes sure you have ever update installed and that the Metro Apps work.

If I've had this problem twice and you are having it then it's got to be a really widespread problem and I'm sure someone will come up with a better fix. I'm rolling out 8 to my customers and if this winds up being a problem with them I'm going to have to stop rolling it out.
Joe Wrote:Before you do anything make sure you have every single Windows Update installed for 8. I know one of the first times I installed it my Metro App problem went away after updates.

If all else fails do a re-install, but before you start customizing anything or installing apps makes sure you have ever update installed and that the Metro Apps work.

If I've had this problem twice and you are having it then it's got to be a really widespread problem and I'm sure someone will come up with a better fix. I'm rolling out 8 to my customers and if this winds up being a problem with them I'm going to have to stop rolling it out.

I was wondering.. what kind of customers or companies are such early adopters of new operating systems? Pepsico is a pretty damn big company and we are still using XP, an 11-12 year old OS. Are we just really that behind? Wouldn't really surprise me, some of the other software we use on a regular basis dates back to the early 90's.
Joe Wrote:Before you do anything make sure you have every single Windows Update installed for 8. I know one of the first times I installed it my Metro App problem went away after updates.

Thanks!
Xbox- D0NGINAT0R
DaveP Wrote:I was wondering.. what kind of customers or companies are such early adopters of new operating systems? Pepsico is a pretty damn big company and we are still using XP, an 11-12 year old OS. Are we just really that behind? Wouldn't really surprise me, some of the other software we use on a regular basis dates back to the early 90's.

I'm a small to medium size business IT consultant so I only deal with customers that have 5 to 150 computers. These companies don't have standard build machines so there's no corporate image that can be deployed. We basically buy the machines from Dell add them to the domain and install needed software.

The large companies I worked for have always been years behind each operating system deployments.
Joe Wrote:
DaveP Wrote:I was wondering.. what kind of customers or companies are such early adopters of new operating systems? Pepsico is a pretty damn big company and we are still using XP, an 11-12 year old OS. Are we just really that behind? Wouldn't really surprise me, some of the other software we use on a regular basis dates back to the early 90's.

I'm a small to medium size business IT consultant so I only deal with customers that have 5 to 150 computers. These companies don't have standard build machines so there's no corporate image that can be deployed. We basically buy the machines from Dell add them to the domain and install needed software.

The large companies I worked for have always been years behind each operating system deployments.

That makes sense. Probably tens of thousands of computers on this network.
When they do upgrade.. I doubt it will be to the newest OS on the market. 3 years from now upgrade to Window 7. We just got Outlook 2010 about 6 months ago.
Jeo,

Thanks for the help, I ended up deleting all my partitions & re-installing windows 8, process was quick.

Installing all the programs I wrote down that were previously installed took 2-3 hours.

So far everything works!
Xbox- D0NGINAT0R

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Windows xp sp3 upgrade javsto 13 5,070 01-25-2012, 04:43 PM
Last Post: javsto
  windows Derick 4 2,146 04-07-2011, 03:50 PM
Last Post: Brampton
  Windows 7 DaveP 28 9,129 10-23-2009, 11:32 PM
Last Post: burnt_servo
  Windows Mobile Apps DaveP 1 1,304 08-11-2009, 09:20 AM