Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows Vista & SATA Disk Drive Glitch
My computer is running 64-Bit Vista and the DVD and Hard Drives are SATA. The problem just started recently, but the DVD drive will randomly disappear. It is not recognized by Windows (not listed in My Computer or Device Manager), however, BIOS still sees the drive. Rebooting or putting the computer to sleep and waking it up will make Windows see the drive again.....far from a fix.

Doing some searching, I have found that this is a widespread problem w/o a definite fix and it is not isolated to one type of DVD drive or motherboard. One possible fix involves editing the registry but that would require me to reinstall any software that uses my DVD drive (I don't have the disks).

Has anyone else experienced/fixed this problem (by anyone I mean Joe or Joshin)?
:fart:
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
Brian in NY Wrote:My computer is running 64-Bit Vista and the DVD and Hard Drives are SATA. The problem just started recently, but the DVD drive will randomly disappear. It is not recognized by Windows (not listed in My Computer or Device Manager), however, BIOS still sees the drive. Rebooting or putting the computer to sleep and waking it up will make Windows see the drive again.....far from a fix.

Doing some searching, I have found that this is a widespread problem w/o a definite fix and it is not isolated to one type of DVD drive or motherboard. One possible fix involves editing the registry but that would require me to reinstall any software that uses my DVD drive (I don't have the disks).

Has anyone else experienced/fixed this problem (by anyone I mean Joe or Joshin)?
I have not seen this problem. I also never ran Vista in a corporate environment so my experience with Vista is just on my personal machine.
Pete Nice Wrote::fart:

:thanks: I'll try that when I get home :poke:
vista sucks, cannot wait for snow leopard to come out
[Image: cat.gif]
I'm a juggernaut of awesomeness
Derick Wrote:vista sucks, cannot wait for snow leopard to come out
Snow Leopard? That just sounds gay.

Windows 7 kicks ass.
If you buy a new PC now, they will upgrade you to 7 for free when it comes out. At least at Best Buy they will.
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
I've only been using Vista for a few months and I'm tired of it. Not sure what to do with the desktop, OS wise. It's not even 6 months old. I've been experimenting with Linux on my laptop, but i want at least one system to be Windows based.
:whomo:
Brian in NY Wrote:I've only been using Vista for a few months and I'm tired of it. Not sure what to do with the desktop, OS wise. It's not even 6 months old. I've been experimenting with Linux on my laptop, but i want at least one system to be Windows based.
Might as well wait for Windows 7. It's pretty much Vista with less SUCK.

Which linux are you using?
I tried Ubuntu 9.04 but I was having video issues. Mint 7 worked without issues. Tried OpenSUSE but couldn't connect to the internet. I installed Ubuntu 8.04 last week and that's been running smoothly.
Brian in NY Wrote:I tried Ubuntu 9.04 but I was having video issues. Mint 7 worked without issues. Tried OpenSUSE but couldn't connect to the internet. I installed Ubuntu 8.04 last week and that's been running smoothly.
I've been messing with OpenSuse for a few years. It's great, but getting wireless to work is really really tough. I'm running it right now on my other laptop, but that machine is in a docking station and doesn't need wireless. If Mint worked what made you go to Ubuntu? I've heard good things abotu Mint, but have never tried it.
Mint and Ubuntu were identical except for the color. I was using Ubuntu 9.04 before I tried Mint, so after 8.04 worked I just decided to install that one. No real reason.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Windows 8 Donginator 9 3,849 02-11-2013, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Donginator
  Windows xp sp3 upgrade javsto 13 5,070 01-25-2012, 04:43 PM
Last Post: javsto
  windows Derick 4 2,146 04-07-2011, 03:50 PM
Last Post: Brampton
  Windows 7 DaveP 28 9,129 10-23-2009, 11:32 PM
Last Post: burnt_servo
  Windows Mobile Apps DaveP 1 1,304 08-11-2009, 09:20 AM
Last Post: Joe