Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I have tried a new beer. MGD
You might like some yeungling or killians irish red. Sam Adams boston lager and summer ale are pretty good too.

Know what beer i hate, Heineken. :barf:
negadave Wrote:You might like some yeungling or killians irish red. Sam Adams boston lager and summer ale are pretty good too.

Know what beer i hate, Heineken. :barf:

Killian's and Yuengling are great choices. Heineken sucks.
I'm drinking moosehead tonight. Not bad, but I liked the becks better. At the liqour store this evening I noticed that they have a row of 20 glass doors for the beer. 16 of those are dedicated to budweiser, coors, miller, michelob, etc...

The other 4 had the stuff you see on commercials, and in advertisements.

1 cooler had only Corona, and dos equis. I wanted to take a picture, but the clerk was freaking out because I was standing in front of those coolers, like I wanted to rob the place.

Some I remember, rolling rock, 3 different sam adams, blue moon, becks, dark becks, fosters, fat tire,and guinness. I almost bought the guinnes, but you guys said I might not like it, so I will wait.
LeNeve Wrote:I'm drinking moosehead tonight. Not bad, but I liked the becks better. At the liqour store this evening I noticed that they have a row of 20 glass doors for the beer. 16 of those are dedicated to budweiser, coors, miller, michelob, etc...

The other 4 had the stuff you see on commercials, and in advertisements.

1 cooler had only Corona, and dos equis. I wanted to take a picture, but the clerk was freaking out because I was standing in front of those coolers, like I wanted to rob the place.

Some I remember, rolling rock, 3 different sam adams, blue moon, becks, dark becks, fosters, fat tire,and guinness. I almost bought the guinnes, but you guys said I might not like it, so I will wait.
I used to drink Moosehead a lot until for some reason I got a headache each time I drank it. I liked it though.

Rolling Rock is ok, but nothing really memorable about it. I've tried a few different kinds of Sam Adams and I just haven't found the right one yet. Occassionally I'll grab a Blue Moon when I'm out, but I can only take like one of those a night. I didn't really mind Becks and Fosters although it never really made me want to go out and buy a case of it. I've heard Fat Tire is good, but I haven't ever tried it.

I traveled around the country a few years ago and a few of the people I traveled with were huge fans of Guinness. I tried it one night and then made fun of them for drinking something that tasted like tar to me. I was so used to drinking cheap light beers to get a buzz that I really didn't have the mindset to actually taste the beer and the different flavors they had. A year after that a friend of mine talked me into trying Guinness again. The key to it is not to pick up the glass and think you're going to taste Miller Lite.

I think I had like 5 of them that night. Bad decision cause that stuff is kinda heavy. It wasn't long before I was pounding Irish Car Bombs. I wanted to get it on tap at my house, but apparently you have to be a rocket scientist to to it right.

Oh by the way, when you do finally try Guinness you have to try it from a tap.
It's going to be impossible to find guiness on tap around here.

The moosehead has given me a headache too. Why is that?

I will probally not have moosehead again. It was good, not great, and the headache is going to make me stay away from it now. I might have gotten a headache from anything, but I'm going to associate it with the moosehead now.
Killian's is an excellent beer. Rolling Rock is eh. The only way I can drink it is ICE cold just about freezing otherwise it has a weird taste that I can't describe.
So many questions in this thread I hope I can answer all of them.

First, about why it is ok to drink various flavored beers. First, remember, these are still beers. This means that the flavors you taste are part of the brewing process. For example an Oktoberfest has all of these various flavors and aromas, but for the most part, they do not actually have things like pumpkin in them. Making small variations can and will produce things called esters that generate varying smells and tastes. So using certain yeasts pitches at certain temperatures (and maintained) will yield something that tastes like banana, pitch it a couple degrees cooler and it could takes like pumpkin. The chemistry of brewing is amazing really. So the long and the short of it is with the exception of Lambics, there really isn't any fruit and rarely any spices added to the brewing process. Add to it that they are in many cases a subtle flavor and not dominating and you still have beer. Just a different flavor.

Second: Leneve won't be able to get Yuengling in KS. It is only for sale in 17 states I think. Personally I like it on tap. Not so much from a bottle. I brought a case back with me from Alabama and drank much of it at the last OSU tailgate. It really doesn't have a ton of flavor.

Third: Why does some beer give headaches and others not? It is mostly allergies. Some people get bad headaches from Red Wines. This normally comes from an allergy to histamines. Histamines exist in beer also, the amount varies by beer. You could have a yeast allergy. Few brewers use the exact same yeasts. So you could have an allergy to that. You could have an allergy to sulfides (if that is the case, stay way away from green and clear bottles).

Fourth: $9 for a 6 of Becks? OMG that's robbery.

Fifth: I agree that the first time you try Guinness should be from a tap. It will be properly aerated, etc. We have a place here in Joplin that will give a proper pour and that helps a lot as well. A proper pour of Guinness takes about 5 minutes. They fill the glass about 2/3rds the way and then let it settle. They they finish filling it so that we get just the right amount of head. They even put the clover in the foam. A pint of heaven.

I'm sure i'm just rambling on. If you were closer to me, I'd give you a Fat Tire just to see what you think of it. My guess is that you aren't quite ready for it taste wise but I could be wrong. I'd hate to have you buy a 6 and not like it and then have a negative thought on it. Once you get to where you enjoy Fat Tire, you can really go anywhere. If it were available, I'd recommend you find Newcastle Brown Ale on tap (some chain restaurants have it on tap) and enjoy. I don't recommend it in the the bottle because it is a clear bottle and coming from North England, there is a large chance that it will be skunky and undrinkable.
---------------------------------
Pokes28 -- AKA David in Missouri
Thanks Pokes. That was the exact explanation I needed for the flavored beers. Makes alot more sense now.

The 6 pack of moosehead, and a 12 pack of MGD cost me 20 bucks.

They did have fat tire in the cooler, and another one called flat tire I think. There were two different ones with tire in the name.
Other than Guinness, my favorite is Newcastle. I highly recommend it.
A couple more things.

Heineken is OK from the tap, but it sucks from the bottle. It is really excellent in Europe where it is fresh.

Killians is ok. I wouldn't call it good or bad, just ok. When it first came out, it was much better than it is today. They've let their quality standards sink as they brewed more and more of it.
LeNeve,

If the liquor store can get Fat Tire, they can get Mothership Wit. They are from the same brewery so they have the same distribution. You just have to ask them to get you a couple 6 packs.
Pokes28 Wrote:LeNeve,

If the liquor store can get Fat Tire, they can get Mothership Wit. They are from the same brewery so they have the same distribution. You just have to ask them to get you a couple 6 packs.

yeah they said they will order stuff special. They didn't say if it would cost me more though.
It shouldn't cost you any more. It doesn't cost them any more. Anything from New Belgium Brewery other than the Lips of Faith beers should be the same cost as Fat Tire.
Either way you are so damn lucky that you can buy beer by the 6 pack. It's all case stores here. I can get 6 packs from some bars, but you only have like 6 different beers to choose from.
Joe Wrote:Other than Guinness, my favorite is Newcastle. I highly recommend it.

Guinness is real good. It's an aquired taste though, like coffie. At first it tastes like shit, but after awhile it grows on you.
I only like the ones in the black cans and bottles though. The "stout" tastes like crap to me.

I put newcastle right up there with heineken. :barf:
I tend to like alot of ale's. Pete's wicked ale is dope.
I get a stuffy nose for like 2 days from alot of dark beers too.

I still say, depends on what your looking for. If i wanna have 3 beers i'll get something dark. If i wanna pound beers, Bud light. MMMMMM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beer. Chip 5 1,709 11-07-2019, 10:14 AM
Last Post: Chip
  Beer:30 Chip 2 1,785 09-24-2012, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Beckster
  Weddings tap craft beer craze Joe 4 2,504 08-16-2012, 03:41 PM
Last Post: Pete Nice
  Kirkland (Costco's Brand) Beer Mauro 12 4,713 01-13-2012, 09:11 AM
Last Post: Pokes28
  Craft Beer Party Joe 52 17,014 07-08-2011, 05:05 PM
Last Post: the keifer
  Brewers Introduce Beer Stimulus Plan Joe 0 1,775 02-17-2011, 09:56 PM
Last Post: Joe
  The United States of Good Beer. Chip 12 5,230 02-15-2011, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Pokes28
  Spring/Summer Beer LeNeve 28 9,246 02-10-2011, 01:12 PM
Last Post: Pete Nice
  Faro style beer Pokes28 1 1,809 02-09-2011, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Joe
  Diverse Beer Selection Served at President Obama's Super Bow Joe 22 6,855 02-08-2011, 04:21 PM
Last Post: the keifer