Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I have tried a new beer. MGD
LeNeve Wrote:Yes Pokes post away. I'll try them and give my report as an ameratuer.

OK. There are two beers that I would like for you to get and try. The cool thing about this step is that there are some great quality alternatives.

1. Hoegaarden (pronounced Hoe-garden) - This is a Belgiun Wit (pronounced VIT and means white). Very light, and smooth. Has a very complex final note where you can taste a little coriander as well as some other spices. The spice on this is very subtle and not the least bit overpowering. This is truly one of the greatest beers on the plant. The problem is that it is a bit more expensive than most of us can afford to regularly drink. But I promise you that as a first step to beer savvy, this may be your very favorite.

1 - Alternate - Mothership Wit from New Belgium brewery. Mothership is a great alternative to Hoegaarden however it simply doesn't have "it" at least in the same quantity. It is a fine beer in its own right and you will be able to get it much fresher since its brewed in Ft. Collins, CO. Mothership needs to be kept a couple degrees cooler to be as smooth as Hoegaarden. I don't promise that you'll enjoy MW as much because it simply isn't quite the quality of beer, however it is as close as an alternative as you can get. If you can't find either of these, you might be able to find Sam Adams White Ale which is really tasty too.

2 - I'm going to take a little chance on this one. Not knowing how much quality beer you have in your area, I'm going to try and get you into a quality wheat beer next. Franziskaner Hefe-Weissbier is my preference for you. It is the perfect balance of flavor (not needing fruit to bring it to life like Shock Top or Blue Moon) alcohol, and overall taste complexity. It is brewed to the German beer purity laws (oldest laws in the world) and has a great history. The alternative to this would be to find a German Hefeweizen. Try Tucher Helles Hefeweizen if you can find it.

From this point forward make it your mission to look up every beer you drink on the internet. Look at the history of the beer and the brewery. I swear it makes a difference in what you think about the beer.

All of these beers are very drinkable over and over. However if you want to get your drunk on. I would start with one of them while you have your taste buds and drink them then move to the mass produced crap. Also, these beers generally are better out of a glass than from the bottle. So if you can, pour them into a glass to get full enjoyment.
---------------------------------
Pokes28 -- AKA David in Missouri
LeNeve Wrote:
Joe In PA Wrote:Have you ever tried Guinness?

Nope.

I don't think he is anywhere near ready for Guinness.
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
Joe In PA Wrote:
LeNeve Wrote:

Nope.

I'd wait. That might be kind of a jump for you. It's certinaly an acquired taste. I actually thought it was terrible at first because I expected it to taste like Coors Light.

Maybe start out with some black and tans first.

Joe, you are going to fast, he is at least 6 months away from any kind of dark beer.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
Pokes28 Wrote:
LeNeve Wrote:Yes Pokes post away. I'll try them and give my report as an ameratuer.

OK. There are two beers that I would like for you to get and try. The cool thing about this step is that there are some great quality alternatives.

1. Hoegaarden (pronounced Hoe-garden) - This is a Belgiun Wit (pronounced VIT and means white). Very light, and smooth. Has a very complex final note where you can taste a little coriander as well as some other spices. The spice on this is very subtle and not the least bit overpowering. This is truly one of the greatest beers on the plant. The problem is that it is a bit more expensive than most of us can afford to regularly drink. But I promise you that as a first step to beer savvy, this may be your very favorite.

1 - Alternate - Mothership Wit from New Belgium brewery. Mothership is a great alternative to Hoegaarden however it simply doesn't have "it" at least in the same quantity. It is a fine beer in its own right and you will be able to get it much fresher since its brewed in Ft. Collins, CO. Mothership needs to be kept a couple degrees cooler to be as smooth as Hoegaarden. I don't promise that you'll enjoy MW as much because it simply isn't quite the quality of beer, however it is as close as an alternative as you can get. If you can't find either of these, you might be able to find Sam Adams White Ale which is really tasty too.

2 - I'm going to take a little chance on this one. Not knowing how much quality beer you have in your area, I'm going to try and get you into a quality wheat beer next. Franziskaner Hefe-Weissbier is my preference for you. It is the perfect balance of flavor (not needing fruit to bring it to life like Shock Top or Blue Moon) alcohol, and overall taste complexity. It is brewed to the German beer purity laws (oldest laws in the world) and has a great history. The alternative to this would be to find a German Hefeweizen. Try Tucher Helles Hefeweizen if you can find it.

From this point forward make it your mission to look up every beer you drink on the internet. Look at the history of the beer and the brewery. I swear it makes a difference in what you think about the beer.

All of these beers are very drinkable over and over. However if you want to get your drunk on. I would start with one of them while you have your taste buds and drink them then move to the mass produced crap. Also, these beers generally are better out of a glass than from the bottle. So if you can, pour them into a glass to get full enjoyment.

Good stuff Pokes.

LeNeve, don't be scared away by price on these. Do they sell six packs in Kansas? Get a 5 pack of any of these and then after drinking 3 of them, drink your MGD the rest of the night to get drunk. Pokes mentions this, but I want to reiterate it.

Thanks. As long as one of the 3 liqour stores has it, I should be sipping on one of these by 5:05 pm.
No one had any of those listed out of 3 good sized liquor stores, can you believe that, I can't. I had my wife go, I'll check for my self later.

Anyway, for some weird reason she got me Becks. Thoughts on that one anybody?
I'm not a fan of Becks. Not because it isn't good as much as because it is from a green bottle. I've posted before why to avoid green and clear bottles so I won't go through it again.

My recommendation. Get it really cold and use a glass. That may help you get through any skunking of the beer that has occurred.
---------------------------------
Pokes28 -- AKA David in Missouri
LeNeve, Pokes won't agree b/c it's a green bottle, but see if they have Moosehead, that might be a good one to go with for now.

I'm liking this becks actually. The very first flavor I detect is coffee bean maybe. I know it does not have coffee in it, but that is what the very first taste, every drink reminds me of. It is only for a second. Other than that I cannot pick out any other distinct flavors. It is dry, which I love, not sweet. I didn't realize how sweet Bud light was untill I tried these other beers. I hate sweet things for the most part.

This beer reminds me of little kings beer, that my Dad used to drink, and I would steal them from him in high school.
Back in high school I used to drink old english 40 ouncers alot for some reason.
LeNeve Wrote:No one had any of those listed out of 3 good sized liquor stores, can you believe that, I can't. I had my wife go, I'll check for my self later.

Anyway, for some weird reason she got me Becks. Thoughts on that one anybody?
That's one I've never tried yet.
Another one I'd like to try is Shocktop.
[Image: Pieman-1.jpg?t=1284932424][Image: Yuingling-1.jpg?t=1277772886][Image: 0628101537a-1.jpg?t=1277772720]
I have now finished the 6 pack of becks. It was great. Almost 9 dollars for a 6 pack though.

the MGD now tastes like carbonated water Confusedwoot:

I now have a big interest in trying more beers.

The blueberry , and chocolate flavored ones still have me confused. I would like an explanation for that.

Isn't a guy drinking flavored beers, as opposed to regular beer, the same as a girl drinking wine coolers, instead of a regular wine?
Pete Nice Wrote:
Joe In PA Wrote:
LeNeve Wrote:

Nope.

I'd wait. That might be kind of a jump for you. It's certinaly an acquired taste. I actually thought it was terrible at first because I expected it to taste like Coors Light.

Maybe start out with some black and tans first.

Joe, you are going to fast, he is at least 6 months away from any kind of dark beer.

I agree with you Pete. I may be an exception to that rule though. I lost the taste for beer for years and I rarely ever drank it. Once I got turned on to dark beers I found that they were what I really liked and I started drinking beer again.
LeNeve Wrote:I have now finished the 6 pack of becks. It was great. Almost 9 dollars for a 6 pack though.

The blueberry , and chocolate flavored ones still have me confused. I would like an explanation for that.

Isn't a guy drinking flavored beers, as opposed to regular beer, the same as a girl drinking wine coolers, instead of a regular wine?

I don't know any guy that would talk down on a flavored beer. I know every year when pumpkin beers come around a ton of people go crazy over that stuff. Around here we have a brewery called Troegs that does a Holiday beer called Mad Elf which has a cherryish taste and people will hunt that shit down.
Joe In PA Wrote:
LeNeve Wrote:I have now finished the 6 pack of becks. It was great. Almost 9 dollars for a 6 pack though.

I don't know any guy that would talk down on a flavored beer. I know every year when pumpkin beers come around a ton of people go crazy over that stuff. Around here we have a brewery called Troegs that does a Holiday beer called Mad Elf which has a cherryish taste and people will hunt that shit down.

I get it, but I don't though. A crown and coke isn't called whiskey, or a coke flavored whiskey right?

I'm an expert drinker, but an absolute dolt about what I am drinking. It just seems that in my life, a beer is a beer, scotch is scotch, bourbon is bourbon, etc..

Then you have the fancy looking stuff, with nice labels, and a taste that the whole family will enjoy.

When I was younger. None of us could stand the taste of alchohol, so we put fruits in the beer, cherry syrup in the whiskey, and stole as much peppermint, peach and cherry schnapps that we could find.

All this flavored beer seems to be the same. There might be a point when I get tired of the taste of beer and have to go the exotic route, but I don't see that happening with me.

To me flavored beer is the equivalent of taking a figure up the butt, because you are bored with regular sex.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beer. Chip 5 1,709 11-07-2019, 10:14 AM
Last Post: Chip
  Beer:30 Chip 2 1,785 09-24-2012, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Beckster
  Weddings tap craft beer craze Joe 4 2,504 08-16-2012, 03:41 PM
Last Post: Pete Nice
  Kirkland (Costco's Brand) Beer Mauro 12 4,713 01-13-2012, 09:11 AM
Last Post: Pokes28
  Craft Beer Party Joe 52 17,014 07-08-2011, 05:05 PM
Last Post: the keifer
  Brewers Introduce Beer Stimulus Plan Joe 0 1,775 02-17-2011, 09:56 PM
Last Post: Joe
  The United States of Good Beer. Chip 12 5,230 02-15-2011, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Pokes28
  Spring/Summer Beer LeNeve 28 9,246 02-10-2011, 01:12 PM
Last Post: Pete Nice
  Faro style beer Pokes28 1 1,809 02-09-2011, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Joe
  Diverse Beer Selection Served at President Obama's Super Bow Joe 22 6,855 02-08-2011, 04:21 PM
Last Post: the keifer