Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Laptop to TV
Pete Nice Wrote:I don't know how to look and see what my video card is. I got the laptop in 2007.
Doesn't matter. There's like a 99% chance you have an external monitor connector on your laptop. If you have that same connector on your tv it's simple. If thats not how you're connecting the TV then what are you using?
Joe In PA Wrote:
Pete Nice Wrote:I don't know how to look and see what my video card is. I got the laptop in 2007.
Doesn't matter. There's like a 99% chance you have an external monitor connector on your laptop. If you have that same connector on your tv it's simple. If thats not how you're connecting the TV then what are you using?

YEah, we have been through all that already. It's still not working.

VGA didn't work and neither did VGA converted to HDMI. I have invested about $60 to monoprice for cables and converters so far.

VGA to VGA seems to be the obvious plug and play choice, but when I do that I either get "no signal" or "invalid format"
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
Pete, have you tried the TVersity option instead of connecting directly?
---------------------------------
Pokes28 -- AKA David in Missouri
Pokes28 Wrote:Pete, have you tried the TVersity option instead of connecting directly?

I downloaded Tveristy, looks like a media sharing thing. But I am trying to hook up to the TV in my living room and there is no 360 or anything.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
Ok, for NVIDIA vs ATI, it shouldn't really matter.
I've just always used NVIDIA graphics and know them a little better.
But, if you right click on your desktop, where you would get the list of options with "arrange icons by", there should be NVIDIA control panel option, or ATI Catlyst control panel, or something like that.

And for the resolution, it'll be something close to ####x1080, I have a 720p tv and my computer resolution on it is 1366x768. Maybe 1680×1050.

VGA to HDMI won't work just because VGA is analog, HDMI is digital. It would have to go through a converter. VGA to VGA should work just fine.

Getting an "invalid format" means it's all hooked up right, there's just a setting off on the computer. Once you get there it should only come down to reslolution and the refresh rate. Try 1680×1050, and 60hz. I'm 99% sure you won't be able to go over 60hz.
Chip Wrote:Ok, for NVIDIA vs ATI, it shouldn't really matter.
I've just always used NVIDIA graphics and know them a little better.
But, if you right click on your desktop, where you would get the list of options with "arrange icons by", there should be NVIDIA control panel option, or ATI Catlyst control panel, or something like that.

And for the resolution, it'll be something close to ####x1080, I have a 720p tv and my computer resolution on it is 1366x768. Maybe 1680×1050.

VGA to HDMI won't work just because VGA is analog, HDMI is digital. It would have to go through a converter. VGA to VGA should work just fine.

Getting an "invalid format" means it's all hooked up right, there's just a setting off on the computer. Once you get there it should only come down to reslolution and the refresh rate. Try 1680×1050, and 60hz. I'm 99% sure you won't be able to go over 60hz.

All I got on that menu is graphics properties. Which opens Intel Graphics Media Accelerator for mobile.

Here is the info on it:

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Mobile Report

Report Date: 06/30/2010
Report Time[hr:mmConfuseds]: 10:14:23
Driver Version: 6.14.10.4446
Operating System: Windows XP* Professional, Service Pack 3 (5.1.2600)
Default Language: English
DirectX* Version: 9.0
Physical Memory: 2038 MB
Minimum Graphics Memory: 8 MB
Maximum Graphics Memory: 224 MB
Graphics Memory in Use: 27 MB
Processor: x86 family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6
Processor Speed: 1994 MHZ
Vendor ID: 8086
Device ID: 27A2
Device Revision: 03

It also says this:

On that screen shot, under supported modes, there is nothing that is x1080

Here are my options:

Or I could adjust here and use the screen resolution slider.

Pete Nice Wrote:Or I could adjust here and use the screen resolution slider.

Changing the resolution there should work. If the 1080 doesn't work, and gives you the "invalid format", try going down to the next resolution.

In this picture,
[Image: file.php?id=720]
Does it show the tv as a monitor anywhere? In the Display Devices tab maybe?
Nope just this:

Pete Nice Wrote:Nope just this:

Huh.
Well...
Maybe the driver needs to be updated?
I would think there should be the 2 "monitors" listed there.
You did the FN and F8 button to activate it right? Assuming you have a Dell laptop.
Joe In PA Wrote:You did the FN and F8 button to activate it right? Assuming you have a Dell laptop.

I do have a Dell.

How was I supposed to know this?

Pete Nice Wrote:
Joe In PA Wrote:You did the FN and F8 button to activate it right? Assuming you have a Dell laptop.

I do have a Dell.

How was I supposed to know this?

I don't have a dell.
My laptop is a Gateway.
And I had no clue about this either.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Laptop/Tablet Help NussieT 43 17,298 04-06-2012, 12:42 PM
Last Post: Hondo