Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Laptop to TV
I know we have discussed this before, but I would like to get some better input with pictures and links.

I have a Laptop. I have an HD TV. I want to be able to hook the laptop up to the HD TV and watch the movies on my laptop on the TV.

1. My laptop does NOT have an HDMI port.

2. I am not sure if my TV had a port that accepts the VGI (?) (monitor cord).

3. I would like to hook the laptop into one of the 467 HDMI ports on my TV.

What do I need?

Pictures?

Links? monoprice only seems to have cords/adapters that will link an apple PC to the TV.

Do I need software?
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
check happanague, i would think your options would be a pc card with hdmi
[Image: cat.gif]
I'm a juggernaut of awesomeness
If you only have a vga output on your laptop, you'll need a converter because vga is analog and hdmi is digital

using this method, you won't need any software, just change the display setting in windows.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://sewelldirect.com/articles/vga-to-hdmi.aspx">http://sewelldirect.com/articles/vga-to-hdmi.aspx</a><!-- m -->

if your laptop has a dvi connection you'll just need a dvi-hdmi converter (these are easy to find)

I have never done any of these things, but i was thinking of doing the same thing, so I looked it up for both of us.
Does it have to be VGI to HDMI?

Can it be USB to HDMI?
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
Derick Wrote:check happanague, i would think your options would be a pc card with hdmi

can you put a new card into a laptop? I didn't know you could do that.
Pete Nice Wrote:Does it have to be VGI to HDMI?

Can it be USB to HDMI?
I've never heard of USB to HDMI.......usually its DVI to HDMI
Pete Nice Wrote:Does it have to be VGI to HDMI?

Can it be USB to HDMI?

If you want to use USB, you will need to buy some kind of external tv adapter that may or may not have HDMI. I wouldn't worry so much about using HDMI. Most of the external adapters will have component ports that will work just as good for what you are doing.

I don't know how well it will work, but this will add HDMI to your laptop. I'm sure there are a million similar products out there
http://www.cooldrives.com/usb-hdmi-adapter-dvi.html
michaelangelo Wrote:
Derick Wrote:check happanague, i would think your options would be a pc card with hdmi

can you put a new card into a laptop? I didn't know you could do that.
i thought they would make outputs for doing this since they specialize in tv stuff for computers
Don't even waste your time. Pick up a Western Digital WD TV box for under $100. Copy all of your movies on to a USB hard drive and then plug the drive into the WD box. WD TV has HDMI jacks on it.

I used to watch movies through my laptop until I got the WDTV box.

This is the live (networked) version.
http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Ne...B002KKFP9Y

Standard (One I use)
http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Me...b_title_ce
Another option, if you have a decent dvd player with a USB port, you can put the movies on a USB flash drive and watch them like that. I have a 16gb and it holds about 20 movies.
DaveP Wrote:Another option, if you have a decent dvd player with a USB port, you can put the movies on a USB flash drive and watch them like that. I have a 16gb and it holds about 20 movies.
I downloaded Avatar and that movie alone was 10GB in 1080.
Joe In PA Wrote:
DaveP Wrote:Another option, if you have a decent dvd player with a USB port, you can put the movies on a USB flash drive and watch them like that. I have a 16gb and it holds about 20 movies.
I downloaded Avatar and that movie alone was 10GB in 1080.

I think Avatar was 2.5gb for me. Most of the movies I download are 700-800gb, dvd rips, but not HD. They look good enough for me, and for free.
And by the way...

[Image: TheRipHDMI3.jpg]
Thats fantastic Joe.

When we moved in, I got some $20 HDMI cables, and hooked up my sat box and PS3. The image looks fantastic, even now. My friend moved in about a month before me and bought monster cables with his TV's. He was impressed with the image (which I don't think there is one), and he asked me what cables I'm using.....when I told him, I thought he was gonna shit himself :happy: :happy:
i have all monster cables, even for my car stereo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Laptop/Tablet Help NussieT 43 17,298 04-06-2012, 12:42 PM
Last Post: Hondo