Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wireless interweb
DaveP Wrote:
LeNeve Wrote:
LeNeve Wrote:Stupid question:

I have cable internet? I hook the internet box to the cable jack. How do I make this wireless?
[Image: smc_smc8004cm.jpg]

Purchase a wireless router and hook it up to the cable modem.

Do you have to put something on the computer too?
LeNeve Wrote:
DaveP Wrote:
LeNeve Wrote:
LeNeve Wrote:Stupid question:

I have cable internet? I hook the internet box to the cable jack. How do I make this wireless?

Purchase a wireless router and hook it up to the cable modem.

Do you have to put something on the computer too?

If you have a laptop, it probably already has a wireless card built in to it. If you want wireless with a desktop, you will likely need to buy a USB wireless device

[Image: BELKIN%20usb%20wireless.jpg]
What's the range on these. I don't want people stealing my shit.
LeNeve Wrote:What's the range on these. I don't want people stealing my shit.
I can hop on the neighbors wireless across the road from me. Their house is probably about 100ft from mine if I had to guess.
[Image: Pieman-1.jpg?t=1284932424][Image: Yuingling-1.jpg?t=1277772886][Image: 0628101537a-1.jpg?t=1277772720]
Just follow the instructions.. it's very easy to secure your network, and a few different ways to do it.

On the wireless router, you can putt a password you need to connect to your wireless.
And the experience I had with a USB device wasn't all that good. Maybe it was a cheap device (I got it free from AT&T when I got U-Verse). But I'd suggest getting an internal PCI card.
Chip Wrote:

On the wireless router, you can putt a password you need to connect to your wireless.
And the experience I had with a USB device wasn't all that good. Maybe it was a cheap device (I got it free from AT&T when I got U-Verse). But I'd suggest getting an internal PCI card.

I didn't even want to suggest a PCI card.. if you buy a decent usb one, shouldn't have any problems. I have a linksys on my old shitty desktop, and it has always been good.
Took long enough but my parents FINALLY ditched their dialup and got a Verizon hot spot. They pay 45mo for 3gig of data with 2yr contract. This one is set up to wirelessly hook up five computers.They run theirs through the USB port because their laptop doesn't have a wireless card.
Between the land line and dialup, they payed over 50mo for 28k speed.
My take: It's a little sluggish for watching vids online (could be partly their laptop) but other than that, it's good for things like online shopping, facebook, and yes Dudebronation.
[Image: Pieman-1.jpg?t=1284932424][Image: Yuingling-1.jpg?t=1277772886][Image: 0628101537a-1.jpg?t=1277772720]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Verizon Wireless Samsung 4G MIFI mobile hotspot Pete Nice 12 4,871 06-17-2011, 08:51 AM
Last Post: Chip
  Is AT&T playing gatekeeper to the Wireless Web? Joe 1 1,515 06-20-2009, 10:35 AM
Last Post: Pete Nice