Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wireless interweb
Alright, so here's the deal. My parents want to get away from their shitty dialup connection. They live in the middle of nowhere here. The thing that sucks is that there is no DSL FIOS or broadband available there and it might be 2yrs till Century Link brings DSL out there. A couple of their neighbors are using Directway satellite but they claim that it's expensive to not only get the service but to buy/lease the equipment. And the speeds aren't real fast for what they pay.

I'm thinkin the best way to go is the wireless USB modems. Virizon Sprint and AT&T are available here. Plans run around $60mo for 5gb with a 2yr contract. Any one here using this setup, and if so, what do you think? And would you recommend it?
[Image: Pieman-1.jpg?t=1284932424][Image: Yuingling-1.jpg?t=1277772886][Image: 0628101537a-1.jpg?t=1277772720]
I was in a spot like that. No cable or DSL ran by my old house at all. Satellite sucks for internet. It's slow as hell and friggin expensive.

I ended caving in to Jim's pleading and moving in with him, so i never bother to go with wireless modems. I have heard that they work great though. I know people who use them on their laptops.
Just because someone can call me Mom now doesn't mean I am gonna be Betty Freakin Cocker and bake any pies.
Beckster is the new Dexter
I HATE PIE!!
the keifer Wrote:Alright, so here's the deal. My parents want to get away from their shitty dialup connection. They live in the middle of nowhere here. The thing that sucks is that there is no DSL FIOS or broadband available there and it might be 2yrs till Century Link brings DSL out there. A couple of their neighbors are using Directway satellite but they claim that it's expensive to not only get the service but to buy/lease the equipment. And the speeds aren't real fast for what they pay.

I'm thinkin the best way to go is the wireless USB modems. Virizon Sprint and AT&T are available here. Plans run around $60mo for 5gb with a 2yr contract. Any one here using this setup, and if so, what do you think? And would you recommend it?

Yeah, I had a PC Card, but in April I switched to a mifi for when I am on the road for work. That is how I am on the PC and driving at the same time all the time, like right now. The MIFI is secure and you can hook up to 5 PC's to it wirelessly at once.

It used to be unlimited but they made it 5g now b/c people were downloading movies and music. DO NOT download movies and torrents with it, you WILL go over.

I love it though.
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
Oh, yeah, have them ask to take it home and test the connection to make sure it picks up a good signal in their house. Also, have them plug it into the wall at all times if they are not going to leave the house with it, the battery on the MIFI lasts about 6 hours.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
Pete Nice Wrote:Oh, yeah, have them ask to take it home and test the connection to make sure it picks up a good signal in their house. Also, have them plug it into the wall at all times if they are not going to leave the house with it, the battery on the MIFI lasts about 6 hours.
Who's your service provider, and what does it cost per mo?
[Image: Pieman-1.jpg?t=1284932424][Image: Yuingling-1.jpg?t=1277772886][Image: 0628101537a-1.jpg?t=1277772720]
the keifer Wrote:
Pete Nice Wrote:Oh, yeah, have them ask to take it home and test the connection to make sure it picks up a good signal in their house. Also, have them plug it into the wall at all times if they are not going to leave the house with it, the battery on the MIFI lasts about 6 hours.
Who's your service provider, and what does it cost per mo?

Verizon, 60 a month. I heard Sprint's coverage is not nearly as good.

Gotta say, I was never a Sprint fan.. but started to hear good things. I have had them for about 10 months now and the service is incredible, hell of a lot better than Verizon. And Verizon was good.
Main reason I switched was the 25% discount from work and their 69.99 everything data plan, way cheaper than verizon.
DaveP Wrote:Gotta say, I was never a Sprint fan.. but started to hear good things. I have had them for about 10 months now and the service is incredible, hell of a lot better than Verizon. And Verizon was good.
Main reason I switched was the 25% discount from work and their 69.99 everything data plan, way cheaper than verizon.

Sprint sucks around my area. Everyone I know with it all bitch because they constantly don't have service.
Just because someone can call me Mom now doesn't mean I am gonna be Betty Freakin Cocker and bake any pies.
Beckster is the new Dexter
I HATE PIE!!
beckster aka Tatertits Wrote:
DaveP Wrote:Gotta say, I was never a Sprint fan.. but started to hear good things. I have had them for about 10 months now and the service is incredible, hell of a lot better than Verizon. And Verizon was good.

Sprint sucks around my area. Everyone I know with it all bitch because they constantly don't have service.

Used to be the same around here. I was told they added more towers or some shit, and now its great. Their 4g network will be available next month also.
DaveP Wrote:

Used to be the same around here. I was told they added more towers or some shit, and now its great. Their 4g network will be available next month also.
I've heard more people bitch about Sprints spotty service here. Virison has the best coverage here. I have them on my work phone and rarely lose service unless I'm in a basement.
the keifer Wrote:
DaveP Wrote:

I've heard more people bitch about Sprints spotty service here. Virison has the best coverage here. I have them on my work phone and rarely lose service unless I'm in a basement.

I have never heard of Virison
DaveP Wrote:I have never heard of Virison
My bad. Verizon.
Stupid question:

I have cable internet? I hook the internet box to the cable jack. How do I make this wireless?
LeNeve Wrote:Stupid question:

I have cable internet? I hook the internet box to the cable jack. How do I make this wireless?
[Image: smc_smc8004cm.jpg]
LeNeve Wrote:
LeNeve Wrote:Stupid question:

[Image: smc_smc8004cm.jpg]

Purchase a wireless router and hook it up to the cable modem.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Verizon Wireless Samsung 4G MIFI mobile hotspot Pete Nice 12 4,871 06-17-2011, 08:51 AM
Last Post: Chip
  Is AT&T playing gatekeeper to the Wireless Web? Joe 1 1,515 06-20-2009, 10:35 AM
Last Post: Pete Nice