Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great books?
JDubb Wrote:I like books by Steve Berry, he's another one of those historical fiction writers. Good stuff. Another one of the those Dan Brown, Steve Berry types is James Rollins. I haven't read his stuff but have been told to check him out if I like the other two.

Another book I really enjoyed is Aztec, another historical fiction novel by Gary Jennings. Big book, it is an investment but very, very good. I'm a very slow reader and this on took me about a year to read, reading it here and there.

Another good book is Pompeii. I can't remember the author, I'll have to look when I get home.
Pompeii is by Robert Harris.

Another series of books that are great are the Robert Ludlum Bourne series. Ludlum's series include the first three books, better known as the Bourne Trilogy. After Ludlum's death in 2001, Robert Lustbader took over the character. Great series, the movies missed so much of the detail that the books include.

---
I am here: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=45.024631,-92.957700">http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=45.024631,-92.957700</a><!-- m -->
JDubb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My stepdad thought there was something wrong with me, because I was constantly reading. I had all the stephen king books (at the time) read at 15 years old. I haven't read a book in years though.

There were a few years in my late teens, and early twenties that I had plenty of time to read. I would knock out a 500 page novel in 3 or 4 days.

I've read most of the fiction stuff that's been posted. All great. I always loved anything about russian spies, army anything, creepy horror, and end of the world type stuff.

Out of the multitude of books I have ever read, the only title of a book I remember, (other than books from well known authors), is called "swan song" . Fucking awesome book. Its like 800 pages. About post nuclear war stuff.

I read "where the red fern grows" sneakily, during class in 4th grade. It made me cry.

sent from a tornado
My stepdad thought there was something wrong with me, because I was constantly reading. I had all the stephen king books (at the time) read at 15 years old. I haven't read a book in years though.

There were a few years in my late teens, and early twenties that I had plenty of time to read. I would knock out a 500 page novel in 3 or 4 days.

I've read most of the fiction stuff that's been posted. All great. I always loved anything about russian spies, army anything, creepy horror, and end of the world type stuff.

Out of the multitude of books I have ever read, the only title of a book I remember, (other than books from well known authors), is called "swan song" . Fucking awesome book. Its like 800 pages. About post nuclear war stuff.

I read "where the red fern grows" sneakily, during class in 4th grade. It made me cry.

sent from a tornado
Rydrum Wrote:
Joe Wrote:
Hondo Wrote:Oh...can't believe I left these out...anything by Michael Crichton. He's best known for the Jurassic Park stuff but every last one of his books will keep you entertained.

Great call on Michael Crichton. I read Prey a few years back and thought that was awesome.

Crichton- Andromeda Strain, Sphere, Rising Sun (might be a bit dated now) are solid.

If you like books like J. Park/sphere you should check out Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child books. They both have solo novels that are "realistic sci-fi," Preston's Impact & Child's Deep Storm.

People like Grisham, but some of his books can be slow.

Jack Higgins & R. Ludlum are Clancy type writers.

Ludlum's Covert Ops series are AMAZING books, but I cheated, I got the CD version and listened to them while working. I like audio books.
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
Saw this on MSN today.

Books spark controversy. Sometimes, they’re even been burned, often in the face of the First Amendment. This is Banned Books Week, and organizers of the commemoration are staging a virtual read-out, where participants are encouraged to post a video of themselves reading from a banned or challenged book. Here’s a sampling of books that have, at one point or another, been condemned, banned, or burned.

Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut (Dial Press Trade Paperback). A masterpiece in nonlinear story structure that moves forward and backwards in time, Vonnegut’s book centers around possibly delusional solder Billy Pilgrim, who is captured by the Germans during the Battle of the Bulge. While detained in a slaughterhouse, Billy experiences past and future events out of order, including being kidnapped by aliens and the moment of his murder. Exploring the concept of fatalism over free will, Vonnegut’s book is as much of a trip as Billy’s journey to the planet Tralfamadore.

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (Harper Perennial Modern Classics). Often banned for sexual content and adult themes, Huxley’s book is eerily prescient, with fetuses being genetically manipulated and divided into different castes, and citizens conditioned to value consumption and to loathe being alone. With reproduction taken off the table, sex is encouraged as recreation, and marriage, parenthood, and pregnancy are never mentioned or pursued. Published in 1932, Brave New World was and is a brave new book.

Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret by Judy Blume (Delacorte Books for Young Readers). There is a rite of passage which every prepubescent girl must undergo before she can call herself a woman. That, dear readers, is plowing through Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret. Born to a Christian mother and Jewish father, sixth-grader Margaret sets out on a quest to find a religion. Meanwhile, she’s dealing with the usual pre-teen issues, including wishing for bigger breasts (doing exercises while memorably chanting, “I must, I must, I must increase my bust!”) and her period. Blume captures the familiar angst and confusion of an adolescent seeking her identity.

The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie (Random House Trade Paperbacks). Perhaps the most controversial book of our generation, Rushdie’s book focuses on the struggles of two Indian expatriates in England who are transformed in a plane crash into an archangel and devil. But it’s the dream sequences — one about a fanatic religious leader that is a thinly veiled allusion to the Ayatollah Khomeini — that have resulted in an ongoing fatwa against Rushdie and his publishers. Individual purchasers of the book have not been harmed.

Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller (Grove Press). Banned for its sexual content, Miller’s 1934 book is a frank, semi-autobiographical novel about an expatriate American in Paris. A meditation on the human condition in all its squalid, lonely, and rollicking glory, the work opened the literary door for other writers to write more candidly about sex. Perhaps knowing the book would be controversial, Miller felt compelled to write as honestly as possible, writing “There is only one thing which interests me vitally now, and that is the recording of all that which is omitted in books."
Joe Wrote:Books spark controversy. Sometimes, they’re even been burned, often in the face of the First Amendment. This is Banned Books Week, and organizers of the commemoration are staging a virtual read-out, where participants are encouraged to post a video of themselves reading from a banned or challenged book. Here’s a sampling of books that have, at one point or another, been condemned, banned, or burned. "
How could they leave The Tale of Scrotie McBoogerballs off this list?
Brian Wrote:
Joe Wrote:Books spark controversy. Sometimes, they’re even been burned, often in the face of the First Amendment. This is Banned Books Week, and organizers of the commemoration are staging a virtual read-out, where participants are encouraged to post a video of themselves reading from a banned or challenged book. Here’s a sampling of books that have, at one point or another, been condemned, banned, or burned. "
How could they leave The Tale of Scrotie McBoogerballs off this list?

:roflmao:
Joe Wrote:Saw this on MSN today.

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (Harper Perennial Modern Classics). Often banned for sexual content and adult themes, Huxley’s book is eerily prescient, with fetuses being genetically manipulated and divided into different castes, and citizens conditioned to value consumption and to loathe being alone. With reproduction taken off the table, sex is encouraged as recreation, and marriage, parenthood, and pregnancy are never mentioned or pursued. Published in 1932, Brave New World was and is a brave new book.

I read this in high school. Its an interesting book- not a great read. Also this summery is wrong, and for some reason it is always reported this way. In reality there is no genetic manipulation at all, it is all environmental manipulation to create differences.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Books negadave 6 2,454 10-25-2010, 08:40 AM
Last Post: Beckster
  Great read for all you nussies Derick 2 1,564 03-12-2010, 09:06 AM
Last Post: Beckster