Dudebro Nation
Great books? - Printable Version

+- Dudebro Nation (https://dudebronation.com/forum)
+-- Forum: DudeBro Nation (https://dudebronation.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://dudebronation.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Great books? (/showthread.php?tid=2022)

Pages: 1 2 3

Great books? - Joe - 09-25-2011

I was sitting here bored tonight and decided to pick up my Nook Color to see if I could find a good book to read. I browsed through the B&N top sellers and nothing really caught my attention. I hit up several lists of the greatest novels of all times and most of them were so old that I wasn't sure if I'd be able to relate and figured I'd lose interest. I have extreme ADD when it comes to reading so if a book doesn't keep my attention I bail out after a few chapters. This is mostly why I don't really read books.

I'm looking for a great book, not just a good book. Anyone have any suggestions? Some of you do read don't you?

Re: Great books? - Beckster - 09-25-2011

Seabiscuit was a good book.

Re: Great books? - Beckster - 09-25-2011

I am currently reading Forrest Griffin's book: Be Ready When the Sh*t Goes Down: A Survival Guide to the Apocalypse :high5:

Re: Great books? - cody - 09-25-2011

I just finished the Game of thrones series. Five books in all. That's right five. I can't believe I read five books. Hell of a good read though, rather addicting. Hustler is a good read too. Hahaha! just kidding. Internet killed that. :ontop:

Re: Great books? - Chip - 09-26-2011

A few years ago, a book came out about the true story of Slap Shot.
I've always wanted to read that, but I don't have much time to read.
Maybe one day I'll get around to it.

Re: Great books? - Hondo - 09-26-2011

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. Just read it.

Anything by Tom Clancy, WEB Griffith or Clive Cussler for entertainment value.

Re: Great books? - JDubb - 09-26-2011

I like books by Steve Berry, he's another one of those historical fiction writers. Good stuff. Another one of the those Dan Brown, Steve Berry types is James Rollins. I haven't read his stuff but have been told to check him out if I like the other two.

Another book I really enjoyed is Aztec, another historical fiction novel by Gary Jennings. Big book, it is an investment but very, very good. I'm a very slow reader and this on took me about a year to read, reading it here and there.

Another good book is Pompey. I can't remember the author, I'll have to look when I get home.

Re: Great books? - Joe - 09-26-2011

Hondo Wrote:Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. Just read it.

Anything by Tom Clancy, WEB Griffith or Clive Cussler for entertainment value.

I actually have Atlas Shrugged on paper and on my Nook. A few years ago I got maybe a third of the way into the book and had to stop to study for work and I never got back to it. That will be one I will go back to.

Re: Great books? - Chip - 09-26-2011

Back when I used to read, pretty much everything I read was Tom Clancy.

Re: Great books? - Joe - 09-26-2011

JDubb Wrote:I like books by Steve Berry, he's another one of those historical fiction writers. Good stuff. Another one of the those Dan Brown, Steve Berry types is James Rollins. I haven't read his stuff but have been told to check him out if I like the other two.

Another book I really enjoyed is Aztec, another historical fiction novel by Gary Jennings. Big book, it is an investment but very, very good. I'm a very slow reader and this on took me about a year to read, reading it here and there.

Another good book is Pompey. I can't remember the author, I'll have to look when I get home.

Good call on the Dan Brown stuff. I read every book he has written except The Lost Symbol, but I did just buy that one.

Re: Great books? - Pete Nice - 09-26-2011

cody Wrote:I just finished the Game of thrones series. Five books in all. That's right five. I can't believe I read five books. Hell of a good read though, rather addicting. Hustler is a good read too. Hahaha! just kidding. Internet killed that. :ontop:

I bought the game of thrones books recently, I want to read them. I hope I will.

What your poo it telling you is a good book.

I recently bought a book called Sniper on good recommendation, I forget the author, but it might be a good one to maintain attention. If interested I can look to see the author.

Re: Great books? - Rydrum - 09-26-2011

Joe Wrote:I was sitting here bored tonight and decided to pick up my Nook Color to see if I could find a good book to read. I browsed through the B&N top sellers and nothing really caught my attention. I hit up several lists of the greatest novels of all times and most of them were so old that I wasn't sure if I'd be able to relate and figured I'd lose interest. I have extreme ADD when it comes to reading so if a book doesn't keep my attention I bail out after a few chapters. This is mostly why I don't really read books.

I'm looking for a great book, not just a good book. Anyone have any suggestions? Some of you do read don't you?

Hey man- it depends on what kind of books you like. If you are into fiction, I saw Dan Brown suggested that is pretty good pop fiction/adventure stuff, Steve Berry is good like that, as is Harlen Coben.

If you want interesting reads and like numbers- check out Freakonomics or Super Crunchers. If you like science, A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson is good. If you like Physics check out The God Particle by Lederman. If you like biology Genome by Matt Ridley.

Re: Great books? - Hondo - 09-26-2011

Oh...can't believe I left these out...anything by Michael Crichton. He's best known for the Jurassic Park stuff but every last one of his books will keep you entertained.