Dudebro Nation

Full Version: Great books?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I was sitting here bored tonight and decided to pick up my Nook Color to see if I could find a good book to read. I browsed through the B&N top sellers and nothing really caught my attention. I hit up several lists of the greatest novels of all times and most of them were so old that I wasn't sure if I'd be able to relate and figured I'd lose interest. I have extreme ADD when it comes to reading so if a book doesn't keep my attention I bail out after a few chapters. This is mostly why I don't really read books.

I'm looking for a great book, not just a good book. Anyone have any suggestions? Some of you do read don't you?
Seabiscuit was a good book.
I am currently reading Forrest Griffin's book: Be Ready When the Sh*t Goes Down: A Survival Guide to the Apocalypse :high5:
I just finished the Game of thrones series. Five books in all. That's right five. I can't believe I read five books. Hell of a good read though, rather addicting. Hustler is a good read too. Hahaha! just kidding. Internet killed that. :ontop:
A few years ago, a book came out about the true story of Slap Shot.
I've always wanted to read that, but I don't have much time to read.
Maybe one day I'll get around to it.
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. Just read it.

Anything by Tom Clancy, WEB Griffith or Clive Cussler for entertainment value.
I like books by Steve Berry, he's another one of those historical fiction writers. Good stuff. Another one of the those Dan Brown, Steve Berry types is James Rollins. I haven't read his stuff but have been told to check him out if I like the other two.

Another book I really enjoyed is Aztec, another historical fiction novel by Gary Jennings. Big book, it is an investment but very, very good. I'm a very slow reader and this on took me about a year to read, reading it here and there.

Another good book is Pompey. I can't remember the author, I'll have to look when I get home.
Hondo Wrote:Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. Just read it.

Anything by Tom Clancy, WEB Griffith or Clive Cussler for entertainment value.

I actually have Atlas Shrugged on paper and on my Nook. A few years ago I got maybe a third of the way into the book and had to stop to study for work and I never got back to it. That will be one I will go back to.
Back when I used to read, pretty much everything I read was Tom Clancy.
JDubb Wrote:I like books by Steve Berry, he's another one of those historical fiction writers. Good stuff. Another one of the those Dan Brown, Steve Berry types is James Rollins. I haven't read his stuff but have been told to check him out if I like the other two.

Another book I really enjoyed is Aztec, another historical fiction novel by Gary Jennings. Big book, it is an investment but very, very good. I'm a very slow reader and this on took me about a year to read, reading it here and there.

Another good book is Pompey. I can't remember the author, I'll have to look when I get home.

Good call on the Dan Brown stuff. I read every book he has written except The Lost Symbol, but I did just buy that one.
cody Wrote:I just finished the Game of thrones series. Five books in all. That's right five. I can't believe I read five books. Hell of a good read though, rather addicting. Hustler is a good read too. Hahaha! just kidding. Internet killed that. :ontop:

I bought the game of thrones books recently, I want to read them. I hope I will.
What your poo it telling you is a good book.
I recently bought a book called Sniper on good recommendation, I forget the author, but it might be a good one to maintain attention. If interested I can look to see the author.
Joe Wrote:I was sitting here bored tonight and decided to pick up my Nook Color to see if I could find a good book to read. I browsed through the B&N top sellers and nothing really caught my attention. I hit up several lists of the greatest novels of all times and most of them were so old that I wasn't sure if I'd be able to relate and figured I'd lose interest. I have extreme ADD when it comes to reading so if a book doesn't keep my attention I bail out after a few chapters. This is mostly why I don't really read books.

I'm looking for a great book, not just a good book. Anyone have any suggestions? Some of you do read don't you?

Hey man- it depends on what kind of books you like. If you are into fiction, I saw Dan Brown suggested that is pretty good pop fiction/adventure stuff, Steve Berry is good like that, as is Harlen Coben.

If you want interesting reads and like numbers- check out Freakonomics or Super Crunchers. If you like science, A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson is good. If you like Physics check out The God Particle by Lederman. If you like biology Genome by Matt Ridley.
Oh...can't believe I left these out...anything by Michael Crichton. He's best known for the Jurassic Park stuff but every last one of his books will keep you entertained.
Pages: 1 2 3