Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wine Forum
The only thing that I know about wine was from the D&D show when John asked the wine guy to tell him something that would allow him to fake being a wine guy. The term he was given was "supple tannins."

I use that every time I try wine. It all tastes like bad grape juice that was ran down the side of a tree to me. I just can't get into it.

Now beer or rum on the other hand....
---------------------------------
Pokes28 -- AKA David in Missouri
Pokes28 Wrote:The only thing that I know about wine was from the D&D show when John asked the wine guy to tell him something that would allow him to fake being a wine guy. The term he was given was "supple tannins."

I use that every time I try wine. It all tastes like bad grape juice that was ran down the side of a tree to me. I just can't get into it.

Now beer or rum on the other hand....
+1
[Image: cat.gif]
I'm a juggernaut of awesomeness
Joe In PA Wrote:
Pete Nice Wrote:That's a lot of info, it would need 3 separate forums.
You think 3 seperate forums? I would just combine them into 1 unless you plan on filling this one up with a huge amount of wine stuff.

I agree with Pete, different forums. I think each are different enough to have their own.
Chelofellow Wrote:Wine kicks ass!

Here are two of my favorites for summer:

WHITE: Cedar Creek Estate Winery Ehrenfelser (Kelowna, BC Canada):

[Image: 04-EHRENFELSER.gif]

TASTING NOTES
An elegant nose of fresh flowers, honeysuckle and pink grapefruit with hints of peach, nectarine, lime and nutmeg gives way to an off-dry palate that is medium in body with flavours of ripe peach, nectarine and spice. The slight sweetness balances the crisp fresh acidity. Affectionately referred to as ‘fruit-salad’ in a glass.

AWARDS
First Place, 2007 Okanagan Spring Wine Festival

Double Gold, 2007 All Canadian Wine Awards

Silver Medal, 2007 L.A. International Wine & Spirits Competition

Silver Medal, 2007 Canadian Wine Awards

This Ehrenfelser is the best, but I love any Ehrenfelser during summer. It is very crisp and acidic, so it's perfect for hot weather. Approx 20.00 CAD.

RED: Black Hills Estate Nota Bene (Oliver, BC, Canada).[Image: 626990061533_600.jpg]

Good Aging Potential "A rich, full Bordeaux blend that packs in black plum, black cherry, leather, cocoa, and raisin flavors, ending on notes of rosemary and prune. Young tannins and firm structure offer good aging potential. Hold for 2-4 years, or serve now with barbecued rib eye steak."
 - Northwest Palate

This is a Bordeaux style red blend. One of the best produced in BC, but pricey at 45.00 per bottle. Jason Priestly is part owner of the winery and this product is very popular. The entire inventory (3,300 cases) of the 2006 vintage sold out in 47 minutes.

These wines are not exported widely to the US. So for international wines, check out the following:

RED: Maycas Del Limari 2005 Syrah Reserva Especial (Chile) (approx 28.00 CAD)
[Image: maycaslimari-750689.jpg]

This is a great syrah from Chile. It scored 93 points.

Denser, more perfumed and richer. Notes of Lavender, garrigue, pencil lead, spice box and blueberry are followed by an opulent, hedonistic, sexpot of a wine. Lengthy and pure in the finish. 93 points.

Dr. Jay S. Miller - Robert Parker's Wine Advocate - April, 2009

Forget about Syrah from Australia. Yellow Tail basically ruined it. This Syrah from Chile is on point and should be available in the US. Pete - highly recommended. See if you can find it and let me know.

I have never heard of Ehrenfelser before. Is this a Canadian grape or one that has been genitally engineered for the climate? Your tasting notes sound like a sauv blanc. Are all the prices you listed Canadian dollars? If that is the case it will be like shopping on sale in the US, provided we can find it here Big Grin

Thanks Chello for kicking this one off. I will post some this weekend.
Guys, create a new thread for each wine if you can please.
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
That black hills red sounds phenomenal, but would it need aged approximately 10 years like a left bank Bordeaux? Even right bank Bordeauxs need at least a few years of aging. What year is considered the best. Ahhh I read it again 2-4 years like a right bank Bordeaux. It does sound delicious. Chelo, any idea where I can get it? I KNOW PA Nazi stores will not have it. Is there anyplace in Niagara Falls that would have it?

I will have to note and look up that Chilean wine. Their wine is good.

I have to say, when it comes to wine, I am VERY partial to French. I also really enjoy Riojas. But I am kind of a snob with French wines. I know NOTHING about American wine except for a few good party pickups. (check out Red Truck wines, cheap and tasty to take to a party).

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
JDubb Wrote:I have never heard of Ehrenfelser before. Is this a Canadian grape or one that has been genitally engineered for the climate? Your tasting notes sound like a sauv blanc. Are all the prices you listed Canadian dollars? If that is the case it will be like shopping on sale in the US, provided we can find it here Big Grin

Thanks Chello for kicking this one off. I will post some this weekend.

Ok I'll start a new thread for the next batch of wine picks

here are some answers to the questions, however.

Ehrenfelser is very fruit forward. Meant as a patio drink or as a refreshment on a hot day. There are some good food pairings, but I prefer it by itself. The CedarCreek is by far the most popular (and best) in this region.

Ehrenfelser is a white wine grape variety of German origin. It was created by Dr. Heinrich Birk (1898-1973) at the Geisenheim Grape Breeding Institute in 1929, by crossing the varieties Riesling and Silvaner, with the identification of Silvaner being somewhat uncertain.[1][2]

Ehrenfelser is grown primarily in the Palatinate and Rheinhessen regions in Germany[3] with some experimental plantings in Washington State.[4] However, as is the case with most white German "new crosses", plantings within Germany have decreased considerably in recent years. In 2006, only 112 hectares (280 acres) of plantings remained,[5] down from 255 hectares (630 acres) in 1999.[6]

Several vineyards in the Okanagan Valley of British Columbia also grow Ehrenfelser, including at least Cedar Creek, Lake Breeze, Gray Monk, Gehringer Brothers, Mount Boucherie and Summerhill. The grape tends to ripen earlier and produce higher yields than Riesling but its quality is not on par with that of its parent grape.

The variety normally consistently produces grapes of at least Kabinett level ripeness and tends to produce well in vineyards where Riesling has difficulties.[7]

Ehrenfelser derives its name from the Burg Ehrenfels ruins located on the Rhine near Rüdesheim.[2] It is also known under the synonym Geisenheim 9-93.[1]

The wine region here in the Okanagan has perfect wine producing conditions - similar to Napa Valley. In fact, it's hotter, more arid, and there's more sunlight per day in the summer in the Okanagan Valley in BC than Napa. All winerys grow premium vinifera plantings. Check out our website at <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.winebc.com">www.winebc.com</a><!-- w -->.

Ha ha, yes all are listed in Canadian dollars (CAD). Don't forget that our dollar is hovering around 93 cents USD, so there is little difference in the exchange. But you can find these in the states cheaper because BC has high taxes on all liquor.
Pete Nice Wrote:That black hills red sounds phenomenal, but would it need aged approximately 10 years like a left bank Bordeaux? Even right bank Bordeauxs need at least a few years of aging. What year is considered the best. Ahhh I read it again 2-4 years like a right bank Bordeaux. It does sound delicious. Chelo, any idea where I can get it? I KNOW PA Nazi stores will not have it. Is there anyplace in Niagara Falls that would have it?

I have to say, when it comes to wine, I am VERY partial to French. I also really enjoy Riojas. But I am kind of a snob with French wines. I know NOTHING about American wine except for a few good party pickups. (check out Red Truck wines, cheap and tasty to take to a party).

The Black Hills has limited production, so you won't find it in any stores in the states. (on my next post, I'll list wines that are all available in the US - like the Maycas that I mentioned.)

You may be able to get it online either at <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.blackhillswinery.com">www.blackhillswinery.com</a><!-- w --> or through an online wine retailer.
Chelofellow Wrote:
Pete Nice Wrote:That black hills red sounds phenomenal, but would it need aged approximately 10 years like a left bank Bordeaux? Even right bank Bordeauxs need at least a few years of aging. What year is considered the best. Ahhh I read it again 2-4 years like a right bank Bordeaux. It does sound delicious. Chelo, any idea where I can get it? I KNOW PA Nazi stores will not have it. Is there anyplace in Niagara Falls that would have it?

The Black Hills has limited production, so you won't find it in any stores in the states. (on my next post, I'll list wines that are all available in the US - like the Maycas that I mentioned.)

You may be able to get it online either at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.blackhillswinery.com">http://www.blackhillswinery.com</a><!-- m --> or through an online wine retailer.

Even the double mags are sold out.

$100 for a Carminere, even though it is Canadian dollars is way pricey.
[Image: 1659917.jpg]
(sorry Pete, I know... new thread)
Ya, at those prices, I doubt I will be trying that, even though it sounds phenomenal.

Any good online retailers that you are familiar with?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My wine experiences Pokes28 14 6,548 01-16-2012, 10:56 AM
Last Post: Beckster
  Favorite Type of wine Pete Nice 18 8,833 06-13-2011, 07:42 AM
Last Post: i bleed green
  UnCork York Wine Trail Joe 0 1,463 02-09-2011, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Joe
  Wine & Web JDubb 4 2,864 02-03-2011, 10:50 PM
Last Post: JDubb
  Starbucks mulling wine, cheese move Joe 5 3,091 10-19-2010, 08:29 AM
Last Post: Chip
  Pennsylvania Wine Joe 2 2,162 09-03-2010, 06:38 PM
Last Post: Joe
  Difference between a wine geek and wine snob? JDubb 25 9,506 08-13-2010, 07:50 AM
  Wine apps JDubb 3 2,486 08-03-2010, 11:43 AM
  Amazing Wine lables Joe 2 2,073 06-27-2010, 03:02 AM
Last Post: negadave
  Tasting Wine Joe 4 2,563 06-08-2010, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Beckster