Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Difference between a wine geek and wine snob?
To me there are 3 categories of wine drinkers on the planet. The bulk who just drink, wine geeks and wine snobs.

Wine Geek- Someone who will try any wine and have an opinion on that wine based on the quality. The attend offlines (if you don't know the term you are not in the category), use Cellar Tracker, love finding $80 in a closeout bin, love educating others, use proper stemware and bring them to a restaurant. OF COURSE FOLLOWS THE TASTING PROCESS.

Wine Snob- Drinks Silver Oak, Caymus, Opus One. Think they know a ton about wine but have not clue Bordeaux is Cab and Merlot dominated. Will only drink a wine over $100 or refuses to try new wines. Uses improper stemware at times. May or may not use the tasting process.

I am a total wine geek for life!!!!!

Thanks John Glas; Owner - Wineglas Professional Wine Tastings & Event Planning
I'm a wine noob. I love wine, but I'm not up to speed on all of the terminology although I'm slowly learning.
I too am a wine noob. It is so hard to remember all the shit that a wine geek knows.
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
Guess i've got no class, because for me, wine = :barf:
I can tolerate some white wine, but reds taste gross to me. Real bitter.
negadave Wrote:Guess i've got no class, because for me, wine = :barf:
What he said.
Everything I say is not true and all things I claim to have done or do are just made up for argument sake!!
[Image: nph_loves_mondays.gif]
I'm not too big on wine but I might have a glass once in a great while. So I'm a wine noob too.
[Image: Pieman-1.jpg?t=1284932424][Image: Yuingling-1.jpg?t=1277772886][Image: 0628101537a-1.jpg?t=1277772720]

Look for sweet wines to start out.
Wine is just another type of booze to me. You find a type you like and drink it

I just find when guys discuss wines and what goes into them, it makes them sound like a bunch of fairies
Brampton Wrote:Wine is just another type of booze to me. You find a type you like and drink it

I just find when guys discuss wines and what goes into them, it makes them sound like a bunch of fairies

Going to a vineyard and listening to the wine maker talk about the process and explain the differences in the grapes and wines makes you appreciate it better. You can pick a glass up and drink what's in it and like it or dislike it, but it's a lot cooler when you pick that same glass up and drink it and recognize the different flavors in it.
Joe In PA Wrote:
Brampton Wrote:Wine is just another type of booze to me. You find a type you like and drink it

Going to a vineyard and listening to the wine maker talk about the process and explain the differences in the grapes and wines makes you appreciate it better. You can pick a glass up and drink what's in it and like it or dislike it, but it's a lot cooler when you pick that same glass up and drink it and recognize the different flavors in it.
Fairy

I think wine is fascinating. There are so many variables and differences within the wines themselves; various grape differences, regions where the fruit is grown, winemakers influence to starts with. Not all whites are the same like all reds aren't the same. I love wine because I am discovering something new in every bottle. I used to think I didn't like Riesling wines until I started exploring them now it is the largest variety in my cellar. There are some rieslings I still don't like but now I know why but didn't write off all white wines. Keep trying wine from all types and various regions.
Joe In PA Wrote:

I agree going to local wineries and finding a good wine shop are key. I have learned so much from visiting wine makers.
Brampton Wrote:
Joe In PA Wrote:

Fairy

Dolt

This is not a blast at you, but that is a typical answer for people who don't know wine. White is generally considered the inferior wine. People who know nothing about wine, normally tend to drink white zinfadel. Once you learn more about wine, try more wines and DO NOT drink wine in a box, yellowtail or mad dog 20/20, you can appreciate red wine more. A good red wine blows most whites out of the water.
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
I bought three bottles of really good ice wine in Germany for 60 euros.
Everything I say is not true and all things I claim to have done or do are just made up for argument sake!!
[Image: nph_loves_mondays.gif]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My wine experiences Pokes28 14 6,548 01-16-2012, 10:56 AM
Last Post: Beckster
  Favorite Type of wine Pete Nice 18 8,833 06-13-2011, 07:42 AM
Last Post: i bleed green
  UnCork York Wine Trail Joe 0 1,463 02-09-2011, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Joe
  Wine & Web JDubb 4 2,864 02-03-2011, 10:50 PM
Last Post: JDubb
  Starbucks mulling wine, cheese move Joe 5 3,091 10-19-2010, 08:29 AM