Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2011 Offseason
Pete Nice Wrote:the best Defense in the NHL all signed for two more years.
Wouldn't trade them for Vancouver's but obviously we're both biased.
Everything I say is not true and all things I claim to have done or do are just made up for argument sake!!
[Image: nph_loves_mondays.gif]
i bleed green Wrote:

I was talking statistically. The Pens were #1 in the league in PK, which I believe to be the ultimate barometer of defense. And top 5 overall. But of course everyone is going to think they have the best defense, Chip is going to say Philly is the best, Beckster think Detroits is the best. The stats though, say the Pens are the best this year, as do many of the experts. Next year may be different.
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
Pete Nice Wrote:
i bleed green Wrote:

I was talking statistically. The Pens were #1 in the league in PK, which I believe to be the ultimate barometer of defense. And top 5 overall. But of course everyone is going to think they have the best defense, Chip is going to say Philly is the best, Beckster think Detroits is the best. The stats though, say the Pens are the best this year, as do many of the experts. Next year may be different.
Canucks were #1 in PK the majority of the year and finished top two or three. They just shit the bed the last few games. Also they won the Jennings even though the only one of their top six or seven D not to miss significant time was Ehrhoff.
Everything I say is not true and all things I claim to have done or do are just made up for argument sake!!
[Image: nph_loves_mondays.gif]
I don't know if I should :roflmao: or :barf: or :killme:
How many times do you hear "your most important penalty killer is your goalie"
Forwards are just as important to a good PK as your D.
There are no stats, especially one stat, that you can use to pick the best D.
What are we saying? Deepest 1 through 6? Best top 4 if the 3rd pair hardly plays? Most consistant? Best offensive numbers? Fewest goals allowed?
I'd say it's acombination of all of those things, and that there is no clear cut "best defense" this year.
All of this is totally irrelevant if you don't win four games at the end of your season.
Chip Wrote:I don't know if I should :roflmao: or :barf: or :killme:
What are we saying? Deepest 1 through 6? Best top 4 if the 3rd pair hardly plays? Most consistant? Best offensive numbers? Fewest goals allowed?
I'd say it's acombination of all of those things, and that there is no clear cut "best defense" this year.
I figure +/- on the pk is a good barometer of success
But, you have to also determine was it 5 on 3, killing a major penalty, total shots faced on the pk

Sent from my balls

I would say when grading out a defense, the offensive number means nothing. Offense from a defensemen is nothing more than a bonus to me, it would be like grading a cornerback on how many touchdowns he scores.

A couple things I would look at, PK ranking, blocked shots, and PK +/- like Brampton said. Also would like to see a stat on full strength goals against while on the ice.

The issue is, their really is no true way to grade the defense of defenseman outside the PK ranking, total GA and blocked shots. So therefore we have to really base our own opinions off what we have seen as well as the "experts". Last year the "experts" all lauded Philly as the best defense all season. This year those same guys lauded the Pens for their defense. I would say that would be a good barometer.

I personally HATE the +/- system, it is retarted in my eyes, but if it had any use, it would be in grading out the PK, BUT PK doesn't count towards +/- does it? I could be wrong about that, but I am pretty sure it doesn't just like it doesn't on the PP.
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
Pete Nice Wrote:

I would say when grading out a defense, the offensive number means nothing. Offense from a defensemen is nothing more than a bonus to me, it would be like grading a cornerback on how many touchdowns he scores.

A couple things I would look at, PK ranking, blocked shots, and PK +/- like Brampton said. Also would like to see a stat on full strength goals against while on the ice.

The issue is, their really is no true way to grade the defense of defenseman outside the PK ranking, total GA and blocked shots. So therefore we have to really base our own opinions off what we have seen as well as the "experts". Last year the "experts" all lauded Philly as the best defense all season. This year those same guys lauded the Pens for their defense. I would say that would be a good barometer.

I personally HATE the +/- system, it is retarted in my eyes, but if it had any use, it would be in grading out the PK, BUT PK doesn't count towards +/- does it? I could be wrong about that, but I am pretty sure it doesn't just like it doesn't on the PP.
I also hate plus minus. But the only situation its usefull is the pk
I also believe the best way to grade a team is if the lift the cup at the end if the season, regular season is bullshit
Sent from my balls
There have been years, especially pre-cap where you could say there was a clear cut, best D in the NHL.
But now, all the best teams will have defenses that has their strengths and weaknesses.
Someone can say it's all about playing defense, someone else can say it's all about helping the team win, that's when offensive/PP numbers come into effect.
Weird, I'm talking a lot trying to justify why I'm not getting involved in the debate. Just because I can pick my top 5, but I'm not gonig to try and pick the one best.

But I am saying a good PK is more a sign of a good goalie, then a good D.
Look at Philly this year. :killme: Their D was better then their PK numbers would show.
Pete Nice Wrote:I personally HATE the +/- system, it is retarted in my eyes, but if it had any use, it would be in grading out the PK, BUT PK doesn't count towards +/- does it? I could be wrong about that, but I am pretty sure it doesn't just like it doesn't on the PP.

If your team scores a short handed goal, the players on the ice get a +
But if your team gives up a power play goal, those players do not get a -

And if your team gives up a short handed goal, the players on the ice get a -
Then if your team scores a power play goal, the players on the ice do not get a +
Richards tweeted this...

MRichie18 Michael Richards
Apparently if you don't pay your comcast bill they just shut you down, a phone call would of been nice.
14 May Favorite Retweet Reply

The fact that Comcast owns the Flyers, makes that hilarious.
And I heard a theory a week or so ago, that the NHL was fighting to keep the Coyotes in Phoenix because there is only one city that is ready to take on an NHL team right now.
So if there is a team moving, they will move the team that is in the most trouble first.
And now it's coming out that Atlanta is in talks with people from Winnipeg about relocation.

And it's been said over and over again in the local media here, that the Red Wings have been told they're the next team to move to the easter confrence when it's possible.
Good lord do I hope so.
I'll finally get the Flyers coming more then once every other year.
:happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:
http://www.sportslogos.net/blog/2011/03/...ets-in-12/
Chip eats moose steaks.
LeNeve Wrote:Chip eats moose steaks.

moose tube steaks.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2012 Offseason Chip 117 27,557 01-17-2013, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Beckster
  2011-2012 Season Chip 177 36,173 06-02-2012, 12:49 PM
Last Post: LeNeve
  2011 Preseason Chip 13 5,284 09-30-2011, 07:58 AM
Last Post: Chip