Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computer Security
Pete: Check your PM

I've been using NOD32 for years with fantastic results. Look at the reviews.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://download.cnet.com/ESET-NOD32-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10185608.html">http://download.cnet.com/ESET-NOD32-Ant ... 85608.html</a><!-- m -->
Hondo Wrote:Pete: Check your PM

I've been using NOD32 for years with fantastic results. Look at the reviews.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://download.cnet.com/ESET-NOD32-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10185608.html">http://download.cnet.com/ESET-NOD32-Ant ... 85608.html</a><!-- m -->

Also a very good AV.
So I got my new laptop yesterday. SO far I have installed the free versions of malwarebytes, adaware, spybot, avg free and avast. Only the free versions. I will be upgrading the malwarebytes to full. Should I upgrade any of the others to full version or will the free ones do the job?

I also am going to be loading the one Hondo mentioned above and maybe looking at some others.

I am not loosing the time and effort to a virus ever again.
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
Can't you have only one anti-virus installed at a time?
Yes. Only ONE anti-virus program should be installed. You can run an AV and an anti-malware program like Malwarebytes though at the same time.
I tried to install Sophos and it wouldn't let me b/c I have avast and AV running.

What is wrong with running more than one? Will they offset each other?

malwarebytes, adaware, spybot and avast/avg free seem like 4 different categories of protection. So the only double up I have is the AV.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
Pete Nice Wrote:I tried to install Sophos and it wouldn't let me b/c I have avast and AV running.

malwarebytes, adaware, spybot and avast/avg free seem like 4 different categories of protection. So the only double up I have is the AV.

I'm pretty sure Windows will let you install only one AV. So one of them must not be a true antivirus.
Chip Wrote:
Pete Nice Wrote:I tried to install Sophos and it wouldn't let me b/c I have avast and AV running.

I'm pretty sure Windows will let you install only one AV. So one of them must not be a true antivirus.

I have used Avast in the past and it worked very well, AVG Free was the one Joe recommended, so I am sure it works, plus I just remembered that I have a free trial of Norton still running, although I am going to uninstall that today, I have Norton and Macafee.

You can cause some serious registry and performance issues running more than one. Some AV programs are absolute resource hogs and doubling up can just cripple your computer. Not to mention that if the programs conflict they can crash your machine.
I think I will get rid of AVG Free then, I like Avast.

I should be safe to keep malwarebytes, adaware and spybot though no?

Pete Nice Wrote:I think I will get rid of AVG Free then, I like Avast.

Adaware and spybot can be used along with anti-virus programs. I'm not sure about malwarebytes.

I use AVG Free only. I've never had to use the other programs, though.
Hondo Wrote:Yes. Only ONE anti-virus program should be installed. You can run an AV and an anti-malware program like Malwarebytes though at the same time.
I do that with Norton and Malwarebytes.
[Image: Pieman-1.jpg?t=1284932424][Image: Yuingling-1.jpg?t=1277772886][Image: 0628101537a-1.jpg?t=1277772720]
Pete Nice Wrote:I think I will get rid of AVG Free then, I like Avast.

Just use one. The unpurchased version of Malwarebytes only provides removal of malware and does not run as a service to protect you so it's always good to keep Malwarebytes on the computer just in case you need it.
Or...you can ask someone for a username and serial and just activate it to give you full-time protection....
Hondo Wrote:Or...you can ask someone for a username and serial and just activate it to give you full-time protection....

This is a great option! Malwarebytes does a great job at real time protection when it's activated. We used to resell it to our Symantec customers because the Norton products suck so bad.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PC security software Brampton 8 2,545 10-20-2011, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Chip