Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computer Security
What should I be running to prevent mimics, worms, ads, intrusions and viruses?

Basically I want to know what Joe or any other IT guy runs on their PC to keep from getting infected.

Are the best programs free?

Is there anything that is pay program that is heads and tails above the free ones that I should definite LEE get?
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
I like Avast and it's FREE!!!! I also use Spybot.
Just because someone can call me Mom now doesn't mean I am gonna be Betty Freakin Cocker and bake any pies.
Beckster is the new Dexter
I HATE PIE!!
Pete Nice Wrote:What should I be running to prevent mimics, worms, ads, intrusions and viruses?

Basically I want to know what Joe or any other IT guy runs on their PC to keep from getting infected.

Is there anything that is pay program that is heads and tails above the free ones that I should definite LEE get?

I use AVG Free at home and Sophos on all of my client's computers.

If you pay the $25 for Malwarebytes that will keep you safe. The free version does not prevent, it only removes on demand.
Joe Wrote:
Pete Nice Wrote:What should I be running to prevent mimics, worms, ads, intrusions and viruses?

If you pay the $25 for Malwarebytes that will keep you safe. The free version does not prevent, it only removes on demand.
Do you ever see anyone use Kaspersky? What is your opinion on that?
Everything I say is not true and all things I claim to have done or do are just made up for argument sake!!
[Image: nph_loves_mondays.gif]
i bleed green Wrote:
Joe Wrote:

Do you ever see anyone use Kaspersky? What is your opinion on that?

I've always read good things, but have never known anyone that uses it.
This is new, free and has done a pretty good job where I have installed it.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/security_...fault.aspx
If i kick out the $25 for Malwarebytes, how many PC's will they let me install it on?

I tried torrents and didn't find one with a working code. If anyone sees a full fersion on torrents with a working code, post a link here please.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
Pete Nice Wrote:If i kick out the $25 for Malwarebytes, how many PC's will they let me install it on?

I tried torrents and didn't find one with a working code. If anyone sees a full fersion on torrents with a working code, post a link here please.

I think I've used the same code on more than one.
For what it's worth, I've had much better luck with free AVG then I did with McAfee.
And I have SpyBot installed, it seems to do a good job blocking all the changes that might happen to different settings.
So basically what happened is, my netbook got one of those trackers/scams/mimics Thursday night I believe. Yesterday it set in and it is called "XP Home Security 2011" they make pops ups on your PC telling you you are infected and such, want you to buy their product, then give you a code after you buy it and everything goes away. They then place trackers on your PC and log and steal everything you do including your identity. Before you "buy" the product, it will hijack all your browsers and give you virus error messages. It roots itself into your PC and is a pain in the ass to get out.

I did a bunch of research thanks to google and Dave P and Beckster helping out also. I found an activation code online at a virus help site and entered it, it worked and I no longer get the pop ups, but the program is still there, there is an icon in the lower right tool tray and my IE windows are labeled with the name of the program.

So everything I read said to download malwarebytes and use that to clean it all up, BUT, it won't let me open the setup for malwarebytes. I tried downloading it on the netbook, nothing. I donloaded it via torrents on my wife's laptop, put it on a flash and tried, nothing. Then one site said to rename it, did that, nothing. It is not allowing my netbook to open the install/setup for malwarebytes.

This is a huge pain in the ass.

Anyone have any ideas as to how to get the PC to allow me to install malwarebytes?

Should I just take it to an IT place and have them do it? If so, what places are the best and how much would that cost?

Once I get this corrected, I am going to install all the suggestions on this thread on the netbook and the two new laptops my wife and I are getting. It good to see alot of people are using good stuff.

Pete Nice Wrote:So basically what happened is, my netbook got one of those trackers/scams/mimics Thursday night I believe. Yesterday it set in and it is called "XP Home Security 2011" they make pops ups on your PC telling you you are infected and such, want you to buy their product, then give you a code after you buy it and everything goes away. They then place trackers on your PC and log and steal everything you do including your identity. Before you "buy" the product, it will hijack all your browsers and give you virus error messages. It roots itself into your PC and is a pain in the ass to get out.

I did a bunch of research thanks to google and Dave P and Beckster helping out also. I found an activation code online at a virus help site and entered it, it worked and I no longer get the pop ups, but the program is still there, there is an icon in the lower right tool tray and my IE windows are labeled with the name of the program.

So everything I read said to download malwarebytes and use that to clean it all up, BUT, it won't let me open the setup for malwarebytes. I tried downloading it on the netbook, nothing. I donloaded it via torrents on my wife's laptop, put it on a flash and tried, nothing. Then one site said to rename it, did that, nothing. It is not allowing my netbook to open the install/setup for malwarebytes.

This is a huge pain in the ass.

Anyone have any ideas as to how to get the PC to allow me to install malwarebytes?

Should I just take it to an IT place and have them do it? If so, what places are the best and how much would that cost?

These viruses block most items from executing but they do allow vital processes to run so in some cases if you rename something you need to run to Explorer.exe it will let it run. In a lot of cases I download this http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysin...s/bb896653 and then rename the executable to Explorer.exe and then run it. I can usually pick out the bad process and kill it. Once it's killed I can get Malwarebytes to remove it. if you get as far as getting Process Explorer to run and can't out which one it is if you send me a screenshot I can tell you.
If all else fails you can use safe mode to find the executable and delete it. You can also login to the computer as another user if you have more than one setup and it won't stop you from doing things. Most of these only reside on one user's profile.
So I am downloading AVG free for my wife's new laptop now, the free version is all I need to get good coverage? No need for the pay version?

Pete Nice Wrote:So I am downloading AVG free for my wife's new laptop now, the free version is all I need to get good coverage? No need for the pay version?

AVG has been pretty good to me. The free Microsoft one does seem pretty good too.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PC security software Brampton 8 2,545 10-20-2011, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Chip