Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beer Styles
Beer styles have always confused me. I'll wind up trying anything and deciding on whether I like that beer or not. For a long time I didn't know the difference between a porter, a stout and an ale was so I never knew what to lean towards. I would just tell the bartneder that I liked dark beers and let them give me whatever they had.

This is a pretty good list of beer styles for a noob like myself.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style">http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style</a><!-- m -->
There's a lot of info to absorb here.
That is a good list. I can probably break it down a bit simpler than that though.

You have two fundamental types of beer. Ale and Lager.

The brewing process of each is way more similar than different however there are some fundamental differences between the two. First is the yeast. In Ales, the yeast works from the top down. In Lagers the yeast works from the bottom up. Yes, you can 100% make two completely different beers simply by changing the type of yeast.

Ales ferment at a warmer temperature and Lagers at a cooler temperature. As a result, Lagers are easier to be consistent however they dont develop much flavor from the yeast (which is actually esters as mentioned in a previous thread). Ales are far more complex and have much more flavor. That is why on the posted list, there are a ton of ales and just a few lagers. However there is more lager consumed around the world than ale. Why? Bud, Miller, Coors, etc.
---------------------------------
Pokes28 -- AKA David in Missouri
Pokes is like some kind of beer Jedi or something.
Oh and just in case somebody doesn't understand the role of yeast in brewing. Basically it eats the sugars and poops out alcohol. The yeast continues to grow and multiply. Many breweries around the world are using the same yeast that they started with decades ago. They just move it from brew to brew.
Brian in NY Wrote:Pokes is like some kind of beer Jedi or something.

I like beer. However I REALLY like turning people onto what really good beer is about. I think I would love to open a beer store that operates like a good wine shop. I'd have to live in a bigger area for that to work though.
Pokes28 Wrote:

I like beer. However I REALLY like turning people onto what really good beer is about. I think I would love to open a beer store that operates like a good wine shop. I'd have to live in a bigger area for that to work though.

I would like to open a store that catered to the best beer, wine and liquor, as a know a decent amount on all three.
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
Pete Nice Wrote:
Pokes28 Wrote:

I would like to open a store that catered to the best beer, wine and liquor, as a know a decent amount on all three.

You'll have to move out of PA for that.
Joe Wrote:
Pete Nice Wrote:
Pokes28 Wrote:

True, but I can dream.
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
Pete Nice Wrote:
Joe Wrote:
Pete Nice Wrote:
Pokes28 Wrote:

True, but I can dream.

Let me know when you openBig Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beer. Chip 5 1,709 11-07-2019, 10:14 AM
Last Post: Chip
  Beer:30 Chip 2 1,785 09-24-2012, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Beckster
  Weddings tap craft beer craze Joe 4 2,504 08-16-2012, 03:41 PM
Last Post: Pete Nice
  Kirkland (Costco's Brand) Beer Mauro 12 4,713 01-13-2012, 09:11 AM
Last Post: Pokes28
  Craft Beer Party Joe 52 17,014 07-08-2011, 05:05 PM
Last Post: the keifer
  Brewers Introduce Beer Stimulus Plan Joe 0 1,775 02-17-2011, 09:56 PM
Last Post: Joe
  The United States of Good Beer. Chip 12 5,230 02-15-2011, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Pokes28
  Spring/Summer Beer LeNeve 28 9,246 02-10-2011, 01:12 PM
Last Post: Pete Nice
  Faro style beer Pokes28 1 1,809 02-09-2011, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Joe
  Diverse Beer Selection Served at President Obama's Super Bow Joe 22 6,855 02-08-2011, 04:21 PM
Last Post: the keifer