Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Freedom of speech
Brian in NY Wrote:Back to the free speech issue: had this been a public school and this kid walked up and down the halls holding a sign the read "F-off Teachers", would he have gotten away with it? I seriously doubt it, suspension or expulsion for him.

Right, but he didn't.
He wrote it on the internet, off school grounds.
I don't think they were monitoring all students FB pages...I think this idiot wrote it and then publicized it which made them look and see it. He should be punished and I think it's the school's RIGHT to not let him participate in THEIR function. The kid acted like an IDIOT..now he has to face the consequences. Life lesson hopefully learned...but somehow I still don't think he will get it.
Iva13 Wrote:I don't think they were monitoring all students FB pages...I think this idiot wrote it and then publicized it which made them look and see it. He should be punished and I think it's the school's RIGHT to not let him participate in THEIR function. The kid acted like an IDIOT..now he has to face the consequences. Life lesson hopefully learned...but somehow I still don't think he will get it.

I can see it if he wrote it on FB, then went around school bragging about it and repeating it. But then it wouldn't have been because "he wrote it on facebook", it would be because walked around school repeating it.

Maybe we just need more then the 2 details we have.
Chip Wrote:Maybe we just need more then the 2 details we have.
That would definitely help. Too bad Rich can't run a sound board properly :poke:
Brian in NY Wrote:
Chip Wrote:Maybe we just need more then the 2 details we have.
That would definitely help. Too bad Rich can't run a sound board properly :poke:

Yeah, what the hell?

I can totally see your point if he was walking around school talking about it.
But if he just wrote it on FB, and that's it, I think the school is really over reacting.
I thought this sort of applied:

Our teacher asked us what our favorite animal was, and I said, "Fried chicken." She said I wasn't funny, but she couldn't have been right, because everyone else in the class laughed.

My parents told me to always be truthful and honest, and I am. Fried chicken is my favorite animal. I told my dad what happened, and he said my teacher was probably a member of PETA. He said they love animals very much.

I do, too. Especially chicken, pork and beef. Anyway, my teacher sent me to the principal’s office. I told him what happened, and he laughed, too. Then he told me not to do it again

The next day in class my teacher asked me what my favorite live animal was. I told her it was chicken. She asked me why, just like she'd asked the other children. So I told her it was because you could make them into fried chicken. She sent me back to the principal’s office again. He laughed, and told me not to do it again.

I don't understand. My parents taught me to be honest, but my teacher doesn't like it when I am. Today, my teacher asked us to tell her what famous person we admire most.

I told her, "Colonel Sanders."

Guess where I am now...???
Just because someone can call me Mom now doesn't mean I am gonna be Betty Freakin Cocker and bake any pies.
Beckster is the new Dexter
I HATE PIE!!
beckster aka Tatertits Wrote:I thought this sort of applied:

Our teacher asked us what our favorite animal was, and I said, "Fried chicken." She said I wasn't funny, but she couldn't have been right, because everyone else in the class laughed.

My parents told me to always be truthful and honest, and I am. Fried chicken is my favorite animal. I told my dad what happened, and he said my teacher was probably a member of PETA. He said they love animals very much.

I do, too. Especially chicken, pork and beef. Anyway, my teacher sent me to the principal’s office. I told him what happened, and he laughed, too. Then he told me not to do it again

The next day in class my teacher asked me what my favorite live animal was. I told her it was chicken. She asked me why, just like she'd asked the other children. So I told her it was because you could make them into fried chicken. She sent me back to the principal’s office again. He laughed, and told me not to do it again.

I don't understand. My parents taught me to be honest, but my teacher doesn't like it when I am. Today, my teacher asked us to tell her what famous person we admire most.

:roflmao:

Ok......I guess I'm gonna be the one to ask................was this kid black? :roflmao:
Brampton Wrote:

Ok......I guess I'm gonna be the one to ask................was this kid black? :roflmao:

[Image: thats_racist.gif]
Chip Wrote:
Brampton Wrote:

:roflmao: :roflmao:
Chip Wrote:
Brampton Wrote:

:roflmao: :roflmao: :clap: :clap:
Everything I say is not true and all things I claim to have done or do are just made up for argument sake!!
[Image: nph_loves_mondays.gif]
Brampton Wrote:That's because from the time you were a kid, you were taught that for every action there is an equal or opposite reaction

most of us come from a time where if we got out of line or were percieved to have been out of line we got smacked around by our authority figures. I'm glad I did , cause I wouldn't want to act like these coddled little assholes

:high5: Completely agree. Even though you have a right to freedom of speech, kids need to be taught when and where are the appropriate things to say. I don't believe that the school was monitoring the FB page, it could have been another kid that brought it to the attention of the authorities... shit like that happens all the time. FB status updates have been used in court aganist people because most of the stuff people post they don't think about before writing it.

My parents never smacked me around but it was well known if I did something stupid I would have been punished in one way, shape or form. I still to this day don't swear in front of my grandparents or my father... and my son is being raised the same way I was...
Nussie_T Wrote:
Brampton Wrote:That's because from the time you were a kid, you were taught that for every action there is an equal or opposite reaction

most of us come from a time where if we got out of line or were percieved to have been out of line we got smacked around by our authority figures. I'm glad I did , cause I wouldn't want to act like these coddled little assholes

:high5: Completely agree. Even though you have a right to freedom of speech, kids need to be taught when and where are the appropriate things to say. I don't believe that the school was monitoring the FB page, it could have been another kid that brought it to the attention of the authorities... shit like that happens all the time. FB status updates have been used in court aganist people because most of the stuff people post they don't think about before writing it.

My parents never smacked me around but it was well known if I did something stupid I would have been punished in one way, shape or form. I still to this day don't swear in front of my grandparents or my father... and my son is being raised the same way I was...
I don't think there was a more terrifying phrase growing up than "Wait until Dad gets home."
Everything I say is not true and all things I claim to have done or do are just made up for argument sake!!
[Image: nph_loves_mondays.gif]
i bleed green Wrote:
Nussie_T Wrote:

I don't think there was a more terrifying phrase growing up than "Wait until Dad gets home."
Yep, I definitely heard that one a few times as a kid. And my dad was the strict parent growing up.
[Image: Pieman-1.jpg?t=1284932424][Image: Yuingling-1.jpg?t=1277772886][Image: 0628101537a-1.jpg?t=1277772720]
LeNeve Wrote:I'm looking out my window right now, a church is having a volleyball game, a old man walking around his yard, and some yahoo parked in front of my curb, in the road.

The church kids are loud, can I go out there and tell them to shut the fuck up?

The old man might have a problem, can I go ask him what the fuck his deal is?

The asshole that parked in the public road, can I tell him to park somewhere else?

I could tell them all what I am thinking, but there would be consequences. All three situations would have a different outcome.

1. I would mess up a nice organized church event, and make people hate me.

2. I could make the old man have a heart attack, and people would hate me.

3. I could get in a fight with some maniac, and get killed, or go to jail.

Now you see what I just did? I thought about the outcome of what would happen if I exercised my right to expression.
Where's Hondo??
I know you can't swear in public.
What do you have to do to be "disturbing the peace", Or "creating a public disturbance" ?
And don't forget, (in regaurds to the internet), if you find yourself under arrest "everything you say, can, and will be used against you."
I'm kinda with you on this though Leneve. People are trained from when they're little kids to be submissive to authority figures. And they all do. Nobody wants to step out of line. It's safer to not speak up or get involved :crank: In the last few years, there was 2 hit and runs in ct where people saw the accident, and the dude laying on the ground, and just kept on going, and did nothing. Alot of people are sheep