Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Freedom of speech
I liked the conversation today about the dumbass that talked shit on facebook. I have always been under the impression that "freedom of speech" was reserved for political commentary, the media outlets, and organized protest.

We live in different times, where most everything, that we put into writing can be found, read, and used against us.

Maybe we need to change the guidlines of this freedom of speech?

I really don't know what to think in this internet age. I see HUGE points to both arguments.
Right, as stated in the 1st and 14th Amendments to the Constitution of the United States, to express information, ideas, and opinions free of government restrictions based on content. A modern legal test of the legitimacy of proposed restrictions on freedom of speech was stated in the opinion by Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. in Schenk v. U.S. (1919): a restriction is legitimate only if the speech in question poses a "clear and present danger" — i.e., a risk or threat to safety or to other public interests that is serious and imminent. Many cases involving freedom of speech and of the press also have concerned defamation, obscenity, and prior restraint (see Pentagon Papers). See also censorship.
Liberty to express opinions and ideas without hindrance, and especially without fear of punishment. Despite the constitutional guarantee of free speech in the United States, legal systems have not treated freedom of speech as absolute. Among the more obvious restrictions on the freedom to say just what one likes where one likes are laws regulating incitement, sedition, defamation, slander and libel, blasphemy, the expression of racial hatred, and conspiracy. The liberal tradition has generally defended freedom of the sort of speech which does not violate others' rights or lead to predictable and avoidable harm, but it has been fierce in that defence because a free interchange of ideas is seen as an essential ingredient of democracy and resistance to tyranny, and as an important agent of improvement. The distinction between an action falling under the description of speech and one which does not is not clear cut, because many non-verbal actions can be seen as making a statement—for example, burning a flag or destroying a symbol. Again, valued freedom of speech embraces publication—writing, broadcasting, distributing recordings—as well as oral delivery of ideas.
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
LeNeve Wrote:Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

This seems to be the actual 1st amendment wording.
LeNeve Wrote:
LeNeve Wrote:Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I didn't read in there anywhere that you are protected under the amendment to talk shit on your facebook page cause you are a dickhead teenager
Brampton Wrote:
LeNeve Wrote:

I didn't read in there anywhere that you are protected under the amendment to talk shit on your facebook page cause you are a dickhead teenager

Right? It basically says what I have always thought.

"I have always been under the impression that "freedom of speech" was reserved for political commentary, the media outlets, and organized protest."
Too many people hide behind things that they know nothing about. Sure spout your poison to the world, it doesn't make it valid or protected.
I'm looking out my window right now, a church is having a volleyball game, a old man walking around his yard, and some yahoo parked in front of my curb, in the road.

The church kids are loud, can I go out there and tell them to shut the fuck up?

The old man might have a problem, can I go ask him what the fuck his deal is?

The asshole that parked in the public road, can I tell him to park somewhere else?

I could tell them all what I am thinking, but there would be consequences. All three situations would have a different outcome.

1. I would mess up a nice organized church event, and make people hate me.

2. I could make the old man have a heart attack, and people would hate me.

3. I could get in a fight with some maniac, and get killed, or go to jail.

Now you see what I just did? I thought about the outcome of what would happen if I exercised my right to expression.
That's because from the time you were a kid, you were taught that for every action there is an equal or opposite reaction

most of us come from a time where if we got out of line or were percieved to have been out of line we got smacked around by our authority figures. I'm glad I did , cause I wouldn't want to act like these coddled little assholes
Brampton Wrote:That's because from the time you were a kid, you were taught that for every action there is an equal or opposite reaction

most of us come from a time where if we got out of line or were percieved to have been out of line we got smacked around by our authority figures. I'm glad I did , cause I wouldn't want to act like these coddled little assholes

Exactly bro! :high5:
LeNeve Wrote:
Brampton Wrote:That's because from the time you were a kid, you were taught that for every action there is an equal or opposite reaction

Exactly bro! :high5:

It being a private school, kinda changes my take on it a little.
In that, you have to be accpted, and it's more of a private club.
But I mean really, other then saying the word "fuck" in a sentance about ass hole teachers who told him he'd never amount to anything, what did he do wrong? And if none of the teachers there said that, well, then he's not talking about those teachers and they really have no place in this. What if he was talking about an elementary school teacher? Teachers talking to kids like that should be fired anyway. I don't care how much of an ass the kid is. The freedom of speech, or lack there of, goes both ways.

He's a dick head teenager. And the teachers were probably bastards to him for it.
The kid needs to be smacked upside the head. And the school needs to mind their own business.
Everyone keeps saying that this kid needs to be smacked upside the head. Well the parents sure as hell weren't doing it, so the school did it for them (figuratively anyway) and people still bitch. Make up your minds, one minute you say the kid needs to be disciplined and the next minute you're bitching that he was disciplined.

No matter what, this kid said something stupid and now he has to deal with the consequences. Free speech doesn't apply here. It's a private school, the parents paid for the kid to go there, he didn't follow the rules, so he got what he deserved.

The main pussification here is that parents don't discipline and teach their kids respect so when they are dropped off for the day they expect the schools to do it. But when the school properly deals with the dickhead kids, the parents get their panties in a bunch and everyone gets sue happy and we have to hear about the BS.

All I know is if I ever have kids and they get out of line, I'm going to beat the shit out of them and I hope the school would do the same.
Brian in NY Wrote:Everyone keeps saying that this kid needs to be smacked upside the head. Well the parents sure as hell weren't doing it, so the school did it for them (figuratively anyway) and people still bitch. Make up your minds, one minute you say the kid needs to be disciplined and the next minute you're bitching that he was disciplined.

No matter what, this kid said something stupid and now he has to deal with the consequences. Free speech doesn't apply here. It's a private school, the parents paid for the kid to go there, he didn't follow the rules, so he got what he deserved.

The main pussification here is that parents don't discipline and teach their kids respect so when they are dropped off for the day they expect the schools to do it. But when the school properly deals with the dickhead kids, the parents get their panties in a bunch and everyone gets sue happy and we have to hear about the BS.

All I know is if I ever have kids and they get out of line, I'm going to beat the shit out of them and I hope the school would do the same.

1. I just don't know why the school is watching all the student's facebook pages. Yeah, the kid needs some disciplin, I just don't think it's the schools place in that situation.

2. If teachers are really talking to their students like that at a private school, it's really not a very good private school.
Back to the free speech issue: had this been a public school and this kid walked up and down the halls holding a sign the read "F-off Teachers", would he have gotten away with it? I seriously doubt it, suspension or expulsion for him.