Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Geek Squad Sucks
I'm sure he had it coming. Besides foreman/shop mgrs are usually dickheads who couldn't turn a wrench if their life depended on it.
brampton Wrote:I'm sure he had it coming. Besides foreman/shop mgrs are usually dickheads who couldn't turn a wrench if their life depended on it.
He was a short little Italian guy that had a huge attitude because he was a short little guy.
He had a Napolean complex. :douche:
brampton Wrote:He had a Napolean complex. :douche:
Yes. The company folded up shortly after I left though so I felt good about that.
Joe In PA Wrote:
brampton Wrote:Its the same for anything. Car repair, home improvements, etc. You need to know people, and be able to trust them
Being an ex mechanic I lucked out on the car repair part. It absolutely kills me to have anyone I know take their car to the shop for repairs because they almost always get over charged.

I am having an electrical issue with my car and a short in one of my turn blinkers. I am not skilled enought to fix it unfortunately, want to take a look?
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
Joe In PA Wrote:
brampton Wrote:I agree. Car repairs are very expensive now. Being a Tech, I see on a daily basis how much the charges are, but people gotta drive their cars.

I think home repair costs are frightening
I drove Mustangs for years and then bought a BMW. Holy shit, talk about a shock in prices. It's been a long time since I;ve taken my car to a shop, but I remember the Ford dealer charging like $65 an hour. BMW wants $99 an hour!

I think that last alternator in my Mustang cost me like $50. The alternator in the BMW was $559 from the dealer and $250 from NAPA.

My alternator blew on the Jersey turnpike last summer, southern part, I think maybe around the Trenton area. After I had to pay to get it towed b/c they won't let AAA on the NJTP, I got it to the dealer. I told the service check in guy my alternator went. The mechanic who was going to work on it was standing there and said "how do you know it was the alternator?" as if I did not know what I was talking about. I said "because there is no power" like a smart ass, but was thinking "this guy was looking to see what I knew so he could try to overcharge me for shit". Of course they did not have the part, and for some reason my alternator cost like $400, but I had no choice. Not sure if I could put an alternator in or not, I think I did it once on my own on my Fiero.

I know how to do shit with cars, change all the lights and bulbs, oil change (although I have someone else do it b/c I don;t have time), fuses, battery change and that kind of shit, but I wish I knew how to do more. I have a few things wrong with my car, not effecting performance, that I would like to get fixed, but don;t feel like paying and don't know how to do it.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
I HATE Geek Squad. I am glad they were exposed here.

My first laptop for this job was a Gateway. Payed about $1300 for it. It was good, did the job. But I always had it sitting on the passenger seat and sometimes it would take a beating when I had to stop quick. Also I was opening and closing it all the time.

Well the hinges holding the screen housing on were plastic and ended up breaking from all the wear and tear. I took it to Best Buy and they charged me $70, then told me it would take $1200 to fix it. They said they would need to replace the entire screen housing, including the screen itself. I said "Fuck off, that's almost how much I paid for it", literally, and left out $70. I went on ebay and found the plastic screen housing myself for like $25. bought two of them and broke the first one trying to do it myself. I figured I need to have someone who knew what they were doing put in the second one. I took it to the repair shop in Harrisburg my parents use and they fixed it up good for $80 and my parents paid for it for me as a Christmas gift. I will use that shop for any repairs not under warranty in the future. I still have that laptop. It is not my primary anymore, I have a military grade Dell ATG D620 that I use that cost a ton but will never break. My wife uses the old one at home. I did replace the keyboard on that Gateway myself twice under warranty though.

I do want to say though that I LOVE Best Buy, just HATE Geek Squad.

Does anyone remember the Bower Show that used to be on Maxim? They did a bitch slap day where callers would call in and bitch slap people who wronged them. They would play some cool bitch slap sound effects. I called in with this and Bower loved it.

Pete Nice Wrote:
Joe In PA Wrote:
brampton Wrote:Its the same for anything. Car repair, home improvements, etc. You need to know people, and be able to trust them
Being an ex mechanic I lucked out on the car repair part. It absolutely kills me to have anyone I know take their car to the shop for repairs because they almost always get over charged.

I am having an electrical issue with my car and a short in one of my turn blinkers. I am not skilled enought to fix it unfortunately, want to take a look?

If you're up in the Toronto area, drop by and I'll fix it for you. What kind of car is it?
Pete Nice Wrote:I HATE Geek Squad. I am glad they were exposed here.

My first laptop for this job was a Gateway. Payed about $1300 for it. It was good, did the job. But I always had it sitting on the passenger seat and sometimes it would take a beating when I had to stop quick. Also I was opening and closing it all the time.

Well the hinges holding the screen housing on were plastic and ended up breaking from all the wear and tear. I took it to Best Buy and they charged me $70, then told me it would take $1200 to fix it. They said they would need to replace the entire screen housing, including the screen itself. I said "Fuck off, that's almost how much I paid for it", literally, and left out $70. I went on ebay and found the plastic screen housing myself for like $25. bought two of them and broke the first one trying to do it myself. I figured I need to have someone who knew what they were doing put in the second one. I took it to the repair shop in Harrisburg my parents use and they fixed it up good for $80 and my parents paid for it for me as a Christmas gift. I will use that shop for any repairs not under warranty in the future. I still have that laptop. It is not my primary anymore, I have a military grade Dell ATG D620 that I use that cost a ton but will never break. My wife uses the old one at home. I did replace the keyboard on that Gateway myself twice under warranty though.

I do want to say though that I LOVE Best Buy, just HATE Geek Squad.

Does anyone remember the Bower Show that used to be on Maxim? They did a bitch slap day where callers would call in and bitch slap people who wronged them. They would play some cool bitch slap sound effects. I called in with this and Bower loved it.

The wife and I loved the Bower show. I was upset that he left. I personally don't like Best Buy, even though it is owned by the same people I prefer Future Shop and some of the smaller retailers up in Canada.
Besides, you guys have access to online retailing unlike in Canada
brampton Wrote:
Pete Nice Wrote:
Joe In PA Wrote:

If you're up in the Toronto area, drop by and I'll fix it for you. What kind of car is it?

2005 Saturn Ion 2

We were just talking today about going up to Niagara Falls for the weekend soon.

I know that the GM's are really bad for rear lights. Probably a loose ground. However Saturn's are usually void of these problems.
brampton Wrote:I know that the GM's are really bad for rear lights. Probably a loose ground. However Saturn's are usually void of these problems.

It is the front dirvers side, I have been having issues with it for year, but until recently, I just htought it went through alot of bulbs, I would replace the bulb and it would be fine for a while. Now that doesn't work any more.

I don't have any GM manuals, but we've dealt with some of these problems. Sometimes its a bad socket with either bad pins or loose wiring. But GM's ground side of the circuit can be bad.

Do a wiggle test for the bulb.
brampton Wrote:I don't have any GM manuals, but we've dealt with some of these problems. Sometimes its a bad socket with either bad pins or loose wiring. But GM's ground side of the circuit can be bad.

I am pretty sure it is the socket of the wiring. I will have to do another wiggle test on the bulb again this weekend.

Pete Nice Wrote:
brampton Wrote:I don't have any GM manuals, but we've dealt with some of these problems. Sometimes its a bad socket with either bad pins or loose wiring. But GM's ground side of the circuit can be bad.

I am pretty sure it is the socket of the wiring. I will have to do another wiggle test on the bulb again this weekend.

its probably the best bet. The sockets that companies use now are absolute shit. Doesn't matter the manufacturer. Also check the socket pins, that they aren't spread to far apart. They use cheap tin in those.