Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Geek Squad Sucks
http://www.wimp.com/geeksquad/
It just goes to show you that you have to be able to do things for yourself nowadays.

Or just find the honest people and keep them around!
brampton Wrote:It just goes to show you that you have to be able to do things for yourself nowadays.

Or just find the honest people and keep them around!
I've tried on several occassions to run a repair shop and yet people just choose the bigger names. The stories I hear from people would make me never want to take my computer anywhere to get repaired. The last guy that contacted me was an old guy that used his computer for email and booking vacations. The repair shop told him he needed at least a 500GB hard drive and it was gonna cost a few hundred bucks to get him running again. Truth is the guy coul have gotten away wtih an 80GB drive for about $45 and a reinstall of windows for about $65. It's a shame how people get taken advantage of.
Its the same for anything. Car repair, home improvements, etc. You need to know people, and be able to trust them
brampton Wrote:Its the same for anything. Car repair, home improvements, etc. You need to know people, and be able to trust them
Being an ex mechanic I lucked out on the car repair part. It absolutely kills me to have anyone I know take their car to the shop for repairs because they almost always get over charged.
I agree. Car repairs are very expensive now. Being a Tech, I see on a daily basis how much the charges are, but people gotta drive their cars.

I think home repair costs are frightening
brampton Wrote:I agree. Car repairs are very expensive now. Being a Tech, I see on a daily basis how much the charges are, but people gotta drive their cars.

I think home repair costs are frightening
I drove Mustangs for years and then bought a BMW. Holy shit, talk about a shock in prices. It's been a long time since I;ve taken my car to a shop, but I remember the Ford dealer charging like $65 an hour. BMW wants $99 an hour!

I think that last alternator in my Mustang cost me like $50. The alternator in the BMW was $559 from the dealer and $250 from NAPA.
I work at a Ford/Lincoln dealer (Just North of Toronto) and our door rate is 99.50 and hour.

BMW 20 minutes away is 135.50 an hour
brampton Wrote:I work at a Ford/Lincoln dealer (Just North of Toronto) and our door rate is 99.50 and hour.

BMW 20 minutes away is 135.50 an hour
This is exactly why I never regretted going to school for automotive for 5 years.
How does it work in the states for mechanics.

Here we have apprentice programs. What about there?
brampton Wrote:How does it work in the states for mechanics.

Here we have apprentice programs. What about there?
I went to a technical high school that gave me the option to take an automotive class. It was like 3 periods a day. I wound up competing in a state competition and won so I got scholorships for automotive colleges. There weren't any special programs to get you into the field. I got a job at a repair chain and got fed up with changing tires and doing oil changes and that lead to me switching careers. I have to admit I was young and really full of myself so I didn't give it the opportunity to turn into anything.
Here that crap is part of the game. You just got to suck it up and show some balls and just start working on stuff. Some places are better than others at bringing young guys along, but you have to be pushy at the lower levels. Which really sucks.
brampton Wrote:Here that crap is part of the game. You just got to suck it up and show some balls and just start working on stuff. Some places are better than others at bringing young guys along, but you have to be pushy at the lower levels. Which really sucks.
It used to piss me off that the guys with 10 years experience didn't know anything but how to turn a wrench and yet they got all the good shit. I got to change oil and tires. One day the service manager got a bug up his ass and the next thing I know I was putting my tool box in a truck and wasn't allowed back unless the police were there.
Joe In PA Wrote:
brampton Wrote:Here that crap is part of the game. You just got to suck it up and show some balls and just start working on stuff. Some places are better than others at bringing young guys along, but you have to be pushy at the lower levels. Which really sucks.
It used to piss me off that the guys with 10 years experience didn't know anything but how to turn a wrench and yet they got all the good shit. I got to change oil and tires. One day the service manager got a bug up his ass and the next thing I know I was putting my tool box in a truck and wasn't allowed back unless the police were there.

Did you bring up his wifes boob job? I'm sure it came up. :lol:
brampton Wrote:
Joe In PA Wrote:

Did you bring up his wifes boob job? I'm sure it came up. :lol:
No, but I think I did use Rich's famous line. "I'll fucking kill you."