Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wednesday 5/23/2012.....wombats unite
Brampton Wrote:
Brian Wrote:
Brampton Wrote:
Brian Wrote:I did the front brakes on my truck on Sunday. I had to use a port-a-power jack to get the front wheels off. I've had to do this to the rears once too. How often do you guys have trouble getting wheels off?
use lube
I do. Doesn't seem to help.
if I do, I usually kick the wheel off, or use a sledge on the inside of the tire. With a couple loose lugs in place
I wasted an hour doing that until I borrowed the jack from a friend.
Brian Wrote:
Derick Wrote:
Brian Wrote:I did the front brakes on my truck on Sunday. I had to use a port-a-power jack to get the front wheels off. I've had to do this to the rears once too. How often do you guys have trouble getting wheels off?
its not so much getting the wheels off as it is putting the lug nuts back on
I always end up using a 4' pipe over a breaker bar to get the lugs free. If I ever get a flat with that truck, I'll be waiting for a tow.
jeebus dude, over torque?
[Image: cat.gif]
I'm a juggernaut of awesomeness
LeNeve Wrote:

I've never had to do that here. I hear the guys at the north dealers talking about it all the time though. Pretty common for the salt belt.

Loosen the lugnuts a little bit, then drive around in circles. They come off then usually. A little easier than busting out a port a power.

One time I was trying to do my brothers brakes.
And we could not get one of his tires off.
We ended up taking it to the tire place and told them to just get it off, and put it back on.
They put it up on their lift, and brought out this 4' sledge hammer and were pretty much taking baseball swings with it.
Derick Wrote:
Brian Wrote:
Derick Wrote:
its not so much getting the wheels off as it is putting the lug nuts back on
I always end up using a 4' pipe over a breaker bar to get the lugs free. If I ever get a flat with that truck, I'll be waiting for a tow.
jeebus dude, over torque?
Nope, never over torque. Combo of the aluminum rims and salt.
[youtube_url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVwCYJj4THQ[/youtube_url]
Derick Wrote:by trays I mean these...

[Image: 6pack-trays.jpg]
I've never been a fan of these trays.

I use the steel rails with clips. this way I can make any configuration I need/want
put some anti seize stuff on the wheel studs. It helps tremendously.
LeNeve Wrote:put some anti seize stuff on the wheel studs. It helps tremendously.
are you nuts. never put anti seize on the studs. It changes the torque value.

you'll end up breaking the wheel studs
Brampton Wrote:
LeNeve Wrote:put some anti seize stuff on the wheel studs. It helps tremendously.

I was afraid I would lose lug nuts using that.
when did this become official
Brampton Wrote:
Derick Wrote:by trays I mean these...
I've never been a fan of these trays.

I use the steel rails with clips. this way I can make any configuration I need/want
I dont really like the rails, but I will probably end up getting some for my "track box" that way I can put the most common sockets on it, and throw it in the tool box. Since I only take the tools I really need to the track with me. Also another reason to buy more sockets, that way I ahve back ups
I do have steel rail clip styles too. with all the odd ball stuff on them. torx sockets, universals, stuff like that.
Brian Wrote:
Brampton Wrote:

thats what can happen.

it changes the threads torque value, and can end up causing them to work their way off
Brampton Wrote:when did this become official
that sucks
Brampton Wrote:
Brian Wrote:
Brampton Wrote:

thats what can happen.

it changes the threads torque value, and can end up causing them to work their way off
speaking of torque values. I have noticed that certain things require lube when torquing, others dont. Is this really necessary?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wednesday 12-2-2015 - Gun Walls LeNeve 5 207 07-17-2021, 05:22 AM
Last Post: Nortoncomsetup
  Wednesday, Dec 9, 2015 ~ Max Beckster 8 305 07-17-2021, 05:13 AM
Last Post: Nortoncomsetup
  Wednesday, Nov 6, 2019 ~ Remember The Wombats Beckster 15 18 08-28-2020, 11:37 PM
Last Post: monika
  thursday Jan 5, 2012.....well done Eddie Brampton 237 5,593 02-23-2017, 09:43 PM
Last Post: Beckster
  Wednesday, October 5, 2016 ~ Clowns Beckster 4 635 10-07-2016, 12:56 PM
  Wednesday 09/21/16: Shampooed and blow dried cows Chip 6 1,011 09-21-2016, 02:35 PM
  Wednesday, Sept 14, 2016 ~ Midweek Beckster 2 598 09-14-2016, 09:38 AM
  Wednesday, September 8, 2016 ~ Preschool Beckster 12 1,504 09-08-2016, 12:18 PM
  Wednesday, August 31, 2016 ~ Twins! Beckster 5 820 08-31-2016, 03:20 PM
  Wednesday, August 24, 2016 ~ Italian Quake Beckster 3 433 08-24-2016, 10:34 AM