Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about sports fans!
Try wearing a Pitt shirt anywhere in Morgantown. I'm from West Virginia...you have to realize what a multiplier the hillbilly factor can be.

WVU...where education is learnt and couches are burnt.
Chip Wrote:Animals are a lot like people Eddie.
Animals are a lot like people.]

People are animals... so the in group out group dynamic is exactly what you would expect.
I know lots of folks that go too crazy. Heck some might say that about me. This year I attended 12 of the 13 Oklahoma State football games. The one game I missed was the game versus Tulsa (closest game to my house) that didn't start until after Midnight and ended at 3:38 AM. Thank God I missed it.

Fortunately OSU had a magical year (got jobbed a couple times and should have played for the MNC, but oh well). It cost a lot of money, but I had a ton of fun. I don't get too upset in general about anything though.

I do think that cost of the activity has something to do with the anger of the fans. As prices increase, people try to get more and more out of their time. Used to be when OSU tickets were $50 for season tickets, people would show up in time for the game and then go away when it was over. Now with donations and fees, etc, tickets run about $1000 each for Sarah and I and that is just the home games. Granted we have great seats, but that is a lot of dough. As a result, we try to milk as much fun out of a game day as possible. Getting to the tailgate as early as possible, and making a full day out of it. Why? Because it is the only way we can feel like we get our money's worth.

I think that is the case around the country. The tickets for the Fiesta Bowl were over $500 for the two of us. That was just one game and our seats were just OK. I can see how fans would want to get a good show and expect the officiating and services to be better.

No matter where you go in this country, everybody knows that Philly fans are the worst. Some hate individual teams or cities, but nobody measures up to the known amount of contempt from Philly fans. Sad thing is that they think they are being good fans and embrace the moniker.
---------------------------------
Pokes28 -- AKA David in Missouri
Pokes28 Wrote:I know lots of folks that go too crazy. Heck some might say that about me. This year I attended 12 of the 13 Oklahoma State football games. The one game I missed was the game versus Tulsa (closest game to my house) that didn't start until after Midnight and ended at 3:38 AM. Thank God I missed it.

Fortunately OSU had a magical year (got jobbed a couple times and should have played for the MNC, but oh well). It cost a lot of money, but I had a ton of fun. I don't get too upset in general about anything though.

I do think that cost of the activity has something to do with the anger of the fans. As prices increase, people try to get more and more out of their time. Used to be when OSU tickets were $50 for season tickets, people would show up in time for the game and then go away when it was over. Now with donations and fees, etc, tickets run about $1000 each for Sarah and I and that is just the home games. Granted we have great seats, but that is a lot of dough. As a result, we try to milk as much fun out of a game day as possible. Getting to the tailgate as early as possible, and making a full day out of it. Why? Because it is the only way we can feel like we get our money's worth.

I think that is the case around the country. The tickets for the Fiesta Bowl were over $500 for the two of us. That was just one game and our seats were just OK. I can see how fans would want to get a good show and expect the officiating and services to be better.

No matter where you go in this country, everybody knows that Philly fans are the worst. Some hate individual teams or cities, but nobody measures up to the known amount of contempt from Philly fans. Sad thing is that they think they are being good fans and embrace the moniker.

So you went to the Fiesta Bowl? I love Tempe, wish I could go there every year for a Steelers game. Where did you stay? Go to any cool places? Hit up the In n Out by the stadium?
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
Pokes28 Wrote:No matter where you go in this country, everybody knows that Philly fans are the worst. Some hate individual teams or cities, but nobody measures up to the known amount of contempt from Philly fans. Sad thing is that they think they are being good fans and embrace the moniker.

People are people and are the same everywhere- its completely ignorant to say philly fans are the worst.

Here are just 2 years that I "kept track of fan behavior headlines,"
September 22, 2011 London (Ontario) :Fan throws banana at black Hockey player.
Aug 22, 2011- San Fran: Shooting & beatings at a preseason game (watch video).
May 30, 2011- LA: Dad drops daughter for ball.
April 22, 2011- Portland: Portland Fan hits Mark Cuban in the face with an object.
April 06, 2011- LA: Giants fan is beaten up by Dodger fans- so badly has brain injuries and is in a coma.
Dec 25, 2009- LA: Lakers fans throw things on court at Cav's players.
Dec 13, 2009- NY: Giants fans throw beer bottles at Desean Jackson.
Sept 16, 2009- NY: Yankee's fan throws bottle of soda at ump.
Sept 15, 2009- NY: Bills fans vandalize players homes after he fumbles kickoff.
Sept 14, 2009- LA: Radiers fans throw stuff all over field after losing to Chargers with 18 seconds left.
Aug 12, 2009- Chicago: Cubs fans tosses a beer on Shane Victorino during the game.
Jan 20, 2009- Arizona: Cardinal fans vandalize McNabb's yard.
Unknown date 2009- Clevland: Ochocinco gets beer thrown on him.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.gq.com/sports/lists/201104/worst-sports-fans-in-america#slide=15">http://www.gq.com/sports/lists/201104/w ... a#slide=15</a><!-- m -->

No surprises in this list
Rydrum Wrote:
Pokes28 Wrote:No matter where you go in this country, everybody knows that Philly fans are the worst. Some hate individual teams or cities, but nobody measures up to the known amount of contempt from Philly fans. Sad thing is that they think they are being good fans and embrace the moniker.

People are people and are the same everywhere- its completely ignorant to say philly fans are the worst.

April 22, 2011- Portland: Portland Fan hits Mark Cuban in the face with an object.
April 06, 2011- LA: Giants fan is beaten up by Dodger fans- so badly has brain injuries and is in a coma.
Sept 14, 2009- LA: Radiers fans throw stuff all over field after losing to Chargers with 18 seconds left.
Aug 12, 2009- Chicago: Cubs fans tosses a beer on Shane Victorino during the game.

I don't think it's Philly fans "embracing the moniker", I think it's the media ebracing the moniker. Every time I read a story about Philly fans, they mention them booing Santa. Seriously, I've read that story, totally justified.
Unless there's just a bunch of stuff that doesn't make news, I hear just as many news stories about other cities as I do Philly.

Anyone remember the "Malice at the Palace"? You can't tell me you've seen something like that anywhere else.

And what about those two shirtless hicks that attacked a first base coach? Where was that?
Detroit and Chicago. Nothing that happens in either city is shocking to me.
Pete Nice Wrote:So you went to the Fiesta Bowl? I love Tempe, wish I could go there every year for a Steelers game. Where did you stay? Go to any cool places? Hit up the In n Out by the stadium?

Yep, went to the Fiesta Bowl. New Years in Phoenix is great. You have the Mill Street block party in Tempe. That is a great time. Then I did a 5K run on New Years Day (kept me from getting stupid on NYE).

We were there for 5 days total. First night we stayed at the Hilton by the airport (priceline for $61 total - taxes included). Then the next two nights we stayed at the Legacy Golf Resort (Priceline $63/night -taxes included). Then we stayed at a LaQuinta in Glendale which was about the only place around that had a vacancy that wasn't $200 a night. Then we went to the Hampton airport.

We went to the horse track one day, that was fun. We ate at the Chino-Bandito which was a treat. It is a fusion of Chinese and Mexican with just a little Caribbean thrown in. Sounds gross, but really was good food and something completely unique.

I got to work one day at our warehouse there so my flight, two nights hotel, and two days of rental car were paid for. Made the trip far less expensive.

That brings me to the worst part of the trip. The Stanford band. They have one job... To piss off the opposing team fans. They do it well. During their pre-game their announcer said that since Oklahoma is known for Cowboys that the women in Oklahoma must be Cows. Then as they were leaving the field a bunch of their band members were acting like airplanes flying off the field. They would then crash into the field. Considering that OSU has had two major plane crashes in the last 11 years, that was completely out of bounds. Then after the game their band tried to disrupt the awards ceremony and did completely play over our band playing our Alma-Mater. I've never been witness to such a chance in fan opinion. Going into the stadium, 90% of the people liked Stanford and had a lot of respect for them. Leaving the stadium, 95% of the people seethed with hatred for them. All because of their douchey band.

It was a great game and I'm so glad we came out on top.
Chip Wrote:I don't think it's Philly fans "embracing the moniker", I think it's the media ebracing the moniker. Every time I read a story about Philly fans, they mention them booing Santa. Seriously, I've read that story, totally justified.
Unless there's just a bunch of stuff that doesn't make news, I hear just as many news stories about other cities as I do Philly.

Anyone remember the "Malice at the Palace"? You can't tell me you've seen something like that anywhere else.

And what about those two shirtless hicks that attacked a first base coach? Where was that?

It is clearly a media thing, does anyone know the year that the fans boo'ed santa? 1968- which is over 50 years ago and yet the media is still harping on it because they are lazy, look at the list I just gave you almost everything on there is worse than booing a crappy santa. And way more recent.

The attack of first base coach was in Chicago (and the one guy had a knife on him).

The GQ article hondo listed is the prime example of lazy journalism, they booed santa (in 1968), they boo'ed adom eaton who didn't at all help the team get a ring because he didn't play during the playoffs and sucked in the few games he did play (3-8, 5.71 era). They cheered when Michael Irving got hit- as all places cheer during a big hit, and then started to jeer when Neon Deion did his laying of the hands & was dancing next to Irving.

Where on the list are the dodgers fans who stab each other in gang wars in the stadium or the shootings, how can killings not qualify them for the worst?
And I've heard nothing but good things about Raider fans too. :roll:
I've been to watch the Raiders play and while their fans look intimidating, I never had even close to a bad word said to me. I thought they were one of the friendliest collection of fans.

I think for most of these you have two things to consider:

How that fan base treats a bitter rival
How that fan base treats everybody else.

I've heard how great the Penn State fans are, but then I've seen videos of them heckling and throwing bottles at opposing fans. I think generally there is a line. A truly good fan base will treat everybody great. Some good examples of this are Nebraska fans. Some of the best fans in the country whether you are a rival or just another team coming in. Oklahoma State is much the same way. It is unreal how many people come to our tailgate as an opposing fan then later in the year or the next year show up wearing OSU gear because they had so much fun. We've even seen that with OU fans (our most hated rival).
Rydrum Wrote:

I see what your doing here, being analytical again. Take isolated incidents out of it and look at general public opinion, which normally runs in line with reality.

Everyone knows Philly fans are the worst. Philly fans know they are the worst. I am saying this as someone who likes the Eagles and Sixers, is indifferent to the Phillies and absolutely fucking hates the Flyers. It is universally know that Philly fans, mostly Eagles and Flyers fans, are the worst.

Here are my counter points:

1. Everyone knows you don't wear the opposite teams jersey/clothes to a game in Philly and get away without at least one bad thing happening, 50% of the time, you will endure physical abuse. The same can not be said of many other team in the NFL, maybe the Raiders and Browns, that's about it. Wear an opposing team jersey to Heinz field and you are 99% sure that the only thing that will happen is some friendly jabs against your team.

2. When I worked at the Mellon Arena doing security, no fans ever outright vandalized and damaged the arena, except Flyer fans. At least once a year, they would drop stink bombs into the vents and stink up the arena for weeks, fucking terrible coming to work any time within a week of when the Flyers were in town, smelled terrible. Also, every time the Flyers were in town, vending carts would be broken, at least one arena window would be broken every time, signs would be torn down, seats and cup holders would be broken and graffitti would need cleaned up everywhere. No other teams fans did that shit.

3. Santa Claus? Need I say more.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
Pokes28 Wrote:I've been to watch the Raiders play and while their fans look intimidating, I never had even close to a bad word said to me. I thought they were one of the friendliest collection of fans.

I think for most of these you have two things to consider:

How that fan base treats a bitter rival
How that fan base treats everybody else.

I've heard how great the Penn State fans are, but then I've seen videos of them heckling and throwing bottles at opposing fans. I think generally there is a line. A truly good fan base will treat everybody great. Some good examples of this are Nebraska fans. Some of the best fans in the country whether you are a rival or just another team coming in. Oklahoma State is much the same way. It is unreal how many people come to our tailgate as an opposing fan then later in the year or the next year show up wearing OSU gear because they had so much fun. We've even seen that with OU fans (our most hated rival).

You have heard Penn State fans are good? Couldn't be further from the truth. They are annoying, arrogant and destructive. Look up college football assaults on youtube, if they have not been taken down, and half of them will be Penn State fans assaulting opposing fans at home games. Penn State fans can eat a bowl of Spoy dicks.

Penn State fans can best be compared to Dallas Cowboy fans, very similar. Your the exception on the Cowboy fan thing Pokes, not the norm.

Pete Nice Wrote:
Rydrum Wrote:

I see what your doing here, being analytical again. Take isolated incidents out of it and look at general public opinion, which normally runs in line with reality.

Everyone knows Philly fans are the worst. Philly fans know they are the worst. I am saying this as someone who likes the Eagles and Sixers, is indifferent to the Phillies and absolutely fucking hates the Flyers. It is universally know that Philly fans, mostly Eagles and Flyers fans, are the worst.

Here are my counter points:

1. Everyone knows you don't wear the opposite teams jersey/clothes to a game in Philly and get away without at least one bad thing happening, 50% of the time, you will endure physical abuse. The same can not be said of many other team in the NFL, maybe the Raiders and Browns, that's about it. Wear an opposing team jersey to Heinz field and you are 99% sure that the only thing that will happen is some friendly jabs against your team.

2. When I worked at the Mellon Arena doing security, no fans ever outright vandalized and damaged the arena, except Flyer fans. At least once a year, they would drop stink bombs into the vents and stink up the arena for weeks, fucking terrible coming to work any time within a week of when the Flyers were in town, smelled terrible. Also, every time the Flyers were in town, vending carts would be broken, at least one arena window would be broken every time, signs would be torn down, seats and cup holders would be broken and graffitti would need cleaned up everywhere. No other teams fans did that shit.

3. Santa Claus? Need I say more.

We can agree to disagree on your main point- general public opinion does not run with reality, it runs with the portrayal of reality given to them in these instances and the general pubic is often wrong/stupid. Ask people why we have seasons on planet earth and see what the prevailing opinion is.*

My whole point is you are taking incidents and painting the broad brush, I just provided you with a list of things that were almost all worse than what philly fans have done and you just ignored it by saying they are the isolated incidents, when clearly they are not, as you see the same cities mentioned multiple times.

I also said all fans are the same, people are people and fans are fans. There are nuts everywhere that give people a bad name. It is regardless of city, of-course if you just ignore or dismiss the other incidents then so be it. It just so happens when anything like that in philly happens its a national news story while it occurring in other places is not. For instance the booing santa is still mentioned, but why doesn't anyone talk about the ice balls the giants fans pelted the Charges with? And which is worse booing a crappy santa in 1968 during a bad season or throwing ice balls at the opposing team & its coaches giving one a concussion?

*if you think it is due to earth's orbit you are wrong.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fourm military guys (tough question) negadave 8 3,218 12-12-2011, 12:07 AM
Last Post: Hondo
  Passionate about Sports Beckster 21 6,509 05-09-2011, 03:53 PM
  Star Wars Question(s) cody 19 6,514 02-11-2011, 06:34 PM
Last Post: cody
  More of a vent than a question. Greg Mercer 31 8,497 02-04-2011, 04:27 AM
Last Post: i bleed green
  Fan loyalty question!!! eddieyourdj 22 7,558 12-03-2010, 12:36 PM
Last Post: MattInMinnesota
  100 Sexiest Women of Sports Derick 5 2,862 10-26-2010, 12:00 AM
Last Post: ap bikini team
  Dumb Question negadave 11 4,059 08-29-2010, 12:26 AM
Last Post: negadave
  Random Question of the Day NussieT 20 5,988 04-26-2010, 09:58 PM
  Pro Sports Jerseys - Do you buy them, and/or do you wear em? Brampton 18 6,882 03-11-2010, 05:25 PM
Last Post: ap bikini team