Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about sports fans!
Pete Nice Wrote:1. Everyone knows you don't wear the opposite teams jersey/clothes to a game in Philly and get away without at least one bad thing happening, 50% of the time, you will endure physical abuse. The same can not be said of many other team in the NFL, maybe the Raiders and Browns, that's about it. Wear an opposing team jersey to Heinz field and you are 99% sure that the only thing that will happen is some friendly jabs against your team.

My thought about this statement...
The only Flyer game I've been to in Philly, was against Washington in December of '08. I think that was the year after Philly beat them in the first round, in overtime of game 7. So a higher point in the rivalry.
I wore a Tigers hat, and a Chiefs jersey from Slapshot. My friend, wore a Caps jersey (he has some issue, and owns around 80 hockey jerseys).
In the hall way, people were going out of their way to let us through because they said "we have a bad enough reputation already". Nobody said any shit to us at any point during that game, during the Phantoms game at the Spectrum after, or in the bars that night.

So either we went there on the one day of the year that they all got together and decided to be nice to everyone, or these internet stories are greatly exaggerated by people to get fooled by the media who love to reference the "they booed Santa" story.

I've only missed one Flyer game here in Detroit in the last 10 years (and it just happened to be the one game they've won here in the last 20 years) and I always wear Flyer stuff.
And have only gotten the fun, drunk heckling in the halls during intermissions.
Chip Wrote:
Pete Nice Wrote:1. Everyone knows you don't wear the opposite teams jersey/clothes to a game in Philly and get away without at least one bad thing happening, 50% of the time, you will endure physical abuse. The same can not be said of many other team in the NFL, maybe the Raiders and Browns, that's about it. Wear an opposing team jersey to Heinz field and you are 99% sure that the only thing that will happen is some friendly jabs against your team.

My thought about this statement...
The only Flyer game I've been to in Philly, was against Washington in December of '08. I think that was the year after Philly beat them in the first round, in overtime of game 7. So a higher point in the rivalry.
I wore a Tigers hat, and a Chiefs jersey from Slapshot. My friend, wore a Caps jersey (he has some issue, and owns around 80 hockey jerseys).
In the hall way, people were going out of their way to let us through because they said "we have a bad enough reputation already". Nobody said any shit to us at any point during that game, during the Phantoms game at the Spectrum after, or in the bars that night.

So either we went there on the one day of the year that they all got together and decided to be nice to everyone, or these internet stories are greatly exaggerated by people to get fooled by the media who love to reference the "they booed Santa" story.

I've only missed one Flyer game here in Detroit in the last 10 years (and it just happened to be the one game they've won here in the last 20 years) and I always wear Flyer stuff.
And have only gotten the fun, drunk heckling in the halls during intermissions.

You were wearing a Chiefs jersey, why would you get heckled?

Almost every Pens fan I know that has gone to a game in Philly, which is most of them, has TERRIBLE stories about what happened to them there. Physical abuse, shit thrown at them, fights for no reason.

Also, over the last 5 years or so, fan violence in general has gone down as people are becoming more aware of the results of acting like an asshole. You go to jail, get fined, get kicked out of the game, lose your season tickets, etc. As a result, fan conduct in general has improved GREATLY in the recent past. So anything after say, 2005, is a tainted sample.

Also, Rydrum this goes back to your points, incidents of fan misconduct are becoming more and more intensified in the media. Stuff like what Rydrum posted was a normal homestand at Three Rivers Stadium, or Memorial Field, or the Vet, or most stadiums in the 80's and 90's. BUT it never made the media unless is got to the level of the Cleveland Indian brawl on quarter beer night. Now, the media loves to blow that shit up. In general, we are a softer, more pussified, politically correct society and that has shown GREATLY in fan conduct across the boards.

Remember, I speak on this subject as someone who has worked for 20 years dealing with fan conduct at no less than 20 different sports venues. Part of my job is to know fan conduct patterns.
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
Pete Nice Wrote:You were wearing a Chiefs jersey, why would you get heckled?

Almost every Pens fan I know that has gone to a game in Philly, which is most of them, has TERRIBLE stories about what happened to them there. Physical abuse, shit thrown at them, fights for no reason.

Also, over the last 5 years or so, fan violence in general has gone down as people are becoming more aware of the results of acting like an asshole. You go to jail, get fined, get kicked out of the game, lose your season tickets, etc. As a result, fan conduct in general has improved GREATLY in the recent past. So anything after say, 2005, is a tainted sample.

Also, Rydrum this goes back to your points, incidents of fan misconduct are becoming more and more intensified in the media. Stuff like what Rydrum posted was a normal homestand at Three Rivers Stadium, or Memorial Field, or the Vet, or most stadiums in the 80's and 90's. BUT it never made the media unless is got to the level of the Cleveland Indian brawl on quarter beer night. Now, the media loves to blow that shit up. In general, we are a softer, more pussified, politically correct society and that has shown GREATLY in fan conduct across the boards.

Remember, I speak on this subject as someone who has worked for 20 years dealing with fan conduct at no less than 20 different sports venues. Part of my job is to know fan conduct patterns.

I only mentioned that to say that I wasn't wearing anything Philly related.
My friend was wearing a Capitals jersey, the visiting team.

All I'm saying is that when it comes to "those idiot fans who make national news", I don't hear any more about Philly then I do other cities. And they can't mention a fan incident in Philly without bringing up Santa, and this point it's just a funny joke that they bring it up.

And as "credible" as all these lists on the internet are, I think they're mostly retarded.
And I can see what you're saying about things being better recently.
When the Lions would play at the Silverdome, it might as well have been the Thunderdome. The crowds at those game were fucking insane. I would put that setting up there with ANYWHERE for the most dangerous.
to be honest it is always horrible. It is just as bad when dumbasses riot when their team wins or loses- why does a sport's team performance really lead to rioting?
Rydrum Wrote:to be honest it is always horrible. It is just as bad when dumbasses riot when their team wins or loses- why does a sport's team performance really lead to rioting?

Yeah, Jay Leno still loves to tell his "you can't spell Detroit without riot" joke.
How long has it been now? Longer then the Santa joke...
Rydrum Wrote:to be honest it is always horrible. It is just as bad when dumbasses riot when their team wins or loses- why does a sport's team performance really lead to rioting?

Riots are an entire different subject. They are few and far between compared to fan misconduct, which occurs every sporting event.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
A few additional points:

1) Philly invented the battery in the snowball during the Buddy Ryan days. There were several people in the hospital as a result.

2) Pete, I think I'm much more the common Cowboy fan from down here. I can see how a Cowboy fan in another area could develop into a douche.

3) The Bamma fans that went up to State College for the Bama/PSU game all had great things to say about how they were treated. So while I have no doubt that PSU fans can be bad (I've seen the videos), they can also be good.
---------------------------------
Pokes28 -- AKA David in Missouri
I'm starting to wonder what the debate is now.
Is it who has the worst fans? Or the who has the highest number ass hole fans?
Who has the worst fans now? Or the longest history of bad fans?
How bad they are on an average day? Or against their biggest rivals?

With every fanbase, you'll get people who take things too seriously. Then, get some beer in them and it'll only get worse.

In addition to what Pete was talking about how things have calmed down recently, I think a big part of that is with these new arenas and new stadiums, the cost to see the games has priced a lot of the stupid ass holes right out of going to games. Back in the day, the Silverdome was notorious for fight after fight in the crowd. I guarantee it was worse then most people know. They'd never sell out, and tickets were cheap. So the crowd would be filled with people from cities like Green Bay, Chicago and Cleveland when ever they would be in town.

And I still say you guys are severely underestimating OSU. If you're judging them on how bad they are, I say you have to see them at their worst.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2581868
http://deadspin.com/5346198/ohio-state-a...ve-seconds
Another dope making a bad name for saints fans,

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://blog.sfgate.com/crime/2012/01/16/saints-fan-allegedly-shoots-2-niners-fans/">http://blog.sfgate.com/crime/2012/01/16 ... ners-fans/</a><!-- m -->
I watched the Giants game at a pizza shop in Little Italy with a bunch of Giants fan and a couple Green Bay fans. Everyone got along fine. Then the owner of the place showed up in a Steelers jacket. I thought that was just awesome.
Hondo Wrote:I watched the Giants game at a pizza shop in Little Italy with a bunch of Giants fan and a couple Green Bay fans. Everyone got along fine. Then the owner of the place showed up in a Steelers jacket. I thought that was just awesome.
That's cool!!!
 - I’m a loner, Dottie, a rebel.
eddieyourdj Wrote:
Hondo Wrote:I watched the Giants game at a pizza shop in Little Italy with a bunch of Giants fan and a couple Green Bay fans. Everyone got along fine. Then the owner of the place showed up in a Steelers jacket. I thought that was just awesome.
That's cool!!!

It is.
I wish I had pizza too.
I am bumping this thread, after yesterdays Baltimore & SF loses. Mercer pointed this out on his twitter feed

Its pretty sad that people are leaving death threats towards Cundiff & Kyle Williams. Its a fucking game & the families of these players should not have to worry about these dumbass sport fanatics making threats.
aka ChrisinPCNY aka Chris3mes1
Xbox- D0NGINAT0R
Donginator Wrote:I am bumping this thread, after yesterdays Baltimore & SF loses. Mercer pointed this out on his twitter feed

Its pretty sad that people are leaving death threats towards Cundiff & Kyle Williams. Its a fucking game & the families of these players should not have to worry about these dumbass sport fanatics making threats.

I agree with Mercer, that is WAY to far.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fourm military guys (tough question) negadave 8 3,218 12-12-2011, 12:07 AM
Last Post: Hondo
  Passionate about Sports Beckster 21 6,509 05-09-2011, 03:53 PM
  Star Wars Question(s) cody 19 6,514 02-11-2011, 06:34 PM
Last Post: cody
  More of a vent than a question. Greg Mercer 31 8,497 02-04-2011, 04:27 AM
Last Post: i bleed green
  Fan loyalty question!!! eddieyourdj 22 7,558 12-03-2010, 12:36 PM
Last Post: MattInMinnesota
  100 Sexiest Women of Sports Derick 5 2,862 10-26-2010, 12:00 AM
Last Post: ap bikini team
  Dumb Question negadave 11 4,059 08-29-2010, 12:26 AM
Last Post: negadave
  Random Question of the Day NussieT 20 5,988 04-26-2010, 09:58 PM
  Pro Sports Jerseys - Do you buy them, and/or do you wear em? Brampton 18 6,882 03-11-2010, 05:25 PM
Last Post: ap bikini team