Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
College Athletes- should they be paid?
i bleed green Wrote:
Chip Wrote:
i bleed green Wrote:
eddieyourdj Wrote:They are getting paid! Do you know how much an education cost these days? Look at the students who are going to school full time while working full time and these athletes are getting that paid for!!!
That's fine for someone who is there for the education. I would love a full ride to some university. Most of these guys are there for the football though, so I don't quite agree 100%. The whole issue is certainly is a potential Pandora's Box.

If they're "there for the football", they don't deserve to get paid.
What is it, less then 1% make it to the NFL?
It's not a career path.
Let me put it this way, I don't think they should get paid, but they should not get suspended because they traded some jerseys for tattoos or pussy or something. I don't really care about the non-paid part, it's some of the suspensions I have a problem with.
they all sign a contract with the school, and are to abide by the rules put in front of them.

if they cant follow the rules, than they should be punished. the rules are in black and white, they're not arbritrary
I don't mind the idea of a stipend per month, just to let you guys know- as a graduate assistant at Pitt. I "made" about 1200 a month and I could live off of that completely (room & board, books & some entertainment). So college kids who have room & board provided should easily live off $500 a month.

There is a problem with this idea though- how can schools possib-lee afford to pay every student-athelete $500 a month? Really only the best of the best make money on their sports programs, but hardly any do. Its a pretty big myth that football teams make money & when they do- that money goes right back into the athletic programs to fund the lesser sports. As this report shows, only 50% to 60% of basketball & football programs make money, which means the other sports definitely are not making anything:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://californiawatch.org/dailyreport/ncaa-report-shows-more-college-athletic-programs-losing-money-4121">http://californiawatch.org/dailyreport/ ... money-4121</a><!-- m -->
eddieyourdj Wrote:They are getting paid! Do you know how much an education cost these days? Look at the students who are going to school full time while working full time and these athletes are getting that paid for!!!

My counter point to this is, probably 75% of them go to college to play sports, without sports, they most likely would not have gone and really don't care that they are in college. I remember the basketball players at Duquesne were dumb as rocks and never went to class, they were only there to play basketball.
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
Rydrum Wrote:I don't mind the idea of a stipend per month, just to let you guys know- as a graduate assistant at Pitt. I "made" about 1200 a month and I could live off of that completely (room & board, books & some entertainment). So college kids who have room & board provided should easily live off $500 a month.

There is a problem with this idea though- how can schools possib-lee afford to pay every student-athelete $500 a month? Really only the best of the best make money on their sports programs, but hardly any do. Its a pretty big myth that football teams make money & when they do- that money goes right back into the athletic programs to fund the lesser sports. As this report shows, only 50% to 60% of basketball & football programs make money, which means the other sports definitely are not making anything:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://californiawatch.org/dailyreport/ncaa-report-shows-more-college-athletic-programs-losing-money-4121">http://californiawatch.org/dailyreport/ ... money-4121</a><!-- m -->

That is why I said it should come from a booster funded stipend.
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
Pete Nice Wrote:
Rydrum Wrote:I don't mind the idea of a stipend per month, just to let you guys know- as a graduate assistant at Pitt. I "made" about 1200 a month and I could live off of that completely (room & board, books & some entertainment). So college kids who have room & board provided should easily live off $500 a month.

That is why I said it should come from a booster funded stipend.

Yeah that makes sense Pete- but only big schools have boosters who raise that much $. Does anyone think that a place like Florida International or East Carolina can raise the same amount of cash that Florida or Alabama can?
Brampton Wrote:
i bleed green Wrote:
Chip Wrote:If they're "there for the football", they don't deserve to get paid.
What is it, less then 1% make it to the NFL?
It's not a career path.
Let me put it this way, I don't think they should get paid, but they should not get suspended because they traded some jerseys for tattoos or pussy or something. I don't really care about the non-paid part, it's some of the suspensions I have a problem with.
they all sign a contract with the school, and are to abide by the rules put in front of them.

if they cant follow the rules, than they should be punished. the rules are in black and white, they're not arbritrary
That's what I'm saying, the rules should different. The scholl's have all the leverage though so why would they?
Everything I say is not true and all things I claim to have done or do are just made up for argument sake!!
[Image: nph_loves_mondays.gif]
I'm with a lot of you guys. College sports should be an opportunity for someone to go to school and get an education, even if they can't afford it. They shouldn't get baller money, but enough to provide them with basic needs and such.
Just because someone can call me Mom now doesn't mean I am gonna be Betty Freakin Cocker and bake any pies.
Beckster is the new Dexter
I HATE PIE!!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Get Paid for Fun Beckster 2 1,420 12-10-2011, 12:31 AM
Last Post: negadave