Dudebro Nation

Full Version: College Athletes- should they be paid?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Since this is always an interesting topic when hanging out with guys & everyone seems to have their own thoughts on it, I thought it might be interesting to solicit your opinions.

Should college athletes be paid to play, that is over and above what they receive now (scholarship & room/board)?

If no- how would you go about trying to fix the agent scandals & booster bribery?
Is yes- how would you structure it/how much to pay them?
I don't think they should be paid.

The only thing I can think of is paying them a per diem. They already get a per diem for meals when they are on the road. I mean something more like a monthly per diem. The pot for the per diem can come from booster money or University money. $1000 a player per month of the school year. If a college kid can not live on $1000 a month, especially when their room and board is free, then they deserve any and all sanctions they get. Every kid gets $1000, from the star QB to the third string kicker, they are all the same, scholarship or no scholarship.

Come to think of it, a $1000 may be too high. I will say $500 to $1000.

They also should have University insurance policies that would cover their potential lost earnings if they suffer a severe injury.

Just an idea, but they should not be flat out payed.
No.

the last time I checked, it wasn't a right to play sports but a privelage.

To be given the opportunity to do something that others would only dream of doing, and getting a free education, housing, clothing, and food is a positive thing. Considering where a majority of the athletes come from, the homes and areas they were raised in, the probable futures they were looking at were very bleak.
My problem is that these guys are praised from the time they threw their first ball, ran their first 40, or dunked their first ball. They don't realize what it would be like to be treated like a "normal" person.

the other problem is the pay. Do all athletes get paid? That goes for Football players to womens field hockey. what decides the pay or the pay scale? And if one sport decides they don't get paid enough, what happens then?

Its a road that colleges and the NCAA doesn't want to travel down, and I don't think the fans of college sports want to go down either. But isn't that part of the fun of being a fan of college sports? That it isn't about the money yet, and the players still enjoy the sport?
I'm kind of on the fence about this subject....I read an article somewhere (think it was ESPN or something) that while they have food taken care of while on campus, alot of times they miss the cafeteria hours because of practice or team meetings so they have to pay for a meal there...also they either don't have the time or aren't allowed to have jobs during the season so how are they supposed to take a nussie out on a date?? Alot of them aren't from wealthy or even middle class families....they can't afford to buy them a laptop for class or even recreational stuff like a new Xbox 360 game here and there.

I do think it should be a set, same amount no matter if you are USC, Florida or North Dakota State. And each player gets the same amount. I would think $300-500 a month would be enough to help them out, but also a small enough amount that they would have to budget the $$. And the $$ should only be while thier sport is in season and they should be allowed to get a part time job during the off season to make $

Just my $.02
I agree with everyone so far. I am really wishy washy on this subject.
There should be something along the lines of what Pete was saying with the monthly per diems. It ridiculous that Pryor is facing all the sanctions he is, because he traded jerseys and shit for a tattoo. C'mon, seriously. While I do to an extent get the "privilege to play" argument, I disagree simply because college football in the US is as much of a business as the NFL is.
They are getting paid! Do you know how much an education cost these days? Look at the students who are going to school full time while working full time and these athletes are getting that paid for!!!
eddieyourdj Wrote:They are getting paid! Do you know how much an education cost these days? Look at the students who are going to school full time while working full time and these athletes are getting that paid for!!!
That's fine for someone who is there for the education. I would love a full ride to some university. Most of these guys are there for the football though, so I don't quite agree 100%. The whole issue is certainly is a potential Pandora's Box.
i bleed green Wrote:
eddieyourdj Wrote:They are getting paid! Do you know how much an education cost these days? Look at the students who are going to school full time while working full time and these athletes are getting that paid for!!!
That's fine for someone who is there for the education. I would love a full ride to some university. Most of these guys are there for the football though, so I don't quite agree 100%. The whole issue is certainly is a potential Pandora's Box.

If they're "there for the football", they don't deserve to get paid.
What is it, less then 1% make it to the NFL?
It's not a career path.
Mauro Wrote:I'm kind of on the fence about this subject....I read an article somewhere (think it was ESPN or something) that while they have food taken care of while on campus, alot of times they miss the cafeteria hours because of practice or team meetings so they have to pay for a meal there...also they either don't have the time or aren't allowed to have jobs during the season so how are they supposed to take a nussie out on a date?? Alot of them aren't from wealthy or even middle class families....they can't afford to buy them a laptop for class or even recreational stuff like a new Xbox 360 game here and there.

I do think it should be a set, same amount no matter if you are USC, Florida or North Dakota State. And each player gets the same amount. I would think $300-500 a month would be enough to help them out, but also a small enough amount that they would have to budget the $$. And the $$ should only be while thier sport is in season and they should be allowed to get a part time job during the off season to make $

Just my $.02
bad argument point.....especially since a college athlete's recreational activities is banging chicks most of us could only dream of getting
Brampton Wrote:
Mauro Wrote:I'm kind of on the fence about this subject....I read an article somewhere (think it was ESPN or something) that while they have food taken care of while on campus, alot of times they miss the cafeteria hours because of practice or team meetings so they have to pay for a meal there...also they either don't have the time or aren't allowed to have jobs during the season so how are they supposed to take a nussie out on a date?? Alot of them aren't from wealthy or even middle class families....they can't afford to buy them a laptop for class or even recreational stuff like a new Xbox 360 game here and there.

Just my $.02
bad argument point.....especially since a college athlete's recreational activities is banging chicks most of us could only dream of getting

Even if it's an XBox game that they're in? And didn't get paid for?
Chip Wrote:
Brampton Wrote:

Just my $.02

Even if it's an XBox game that they're in? And didn't get paid for?
if they don't use the names, its not them :poke:
Chip Wrote:
i bleed green Wrote:

If they're "there for the football", they don't deserve to get paid.
What is it, less then 1% make it to the NFL?
It's not a career path.
Let me put it this way, I don't think they should get paid, but they should not get suspended because they traded some jerseys for tattoos or pussy or something. I don't really care about the non-paid part, it's some of the suspensions I have a problem with.
Pages: 1 2