Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need a tablet PC? HP goes 'bonk'
Hondo Wrote:It does...and then some. If NOTHING is ever developed beyond the way it came it's still a win. Port Android onto it and you just scored a $400 tablet for $150.

This is exactly why I ordered 2....for $200 I get a tablet and my wife gets one....sure I could have bought an off brand android tablet for $140, but this one has a decent processor, is a reputable brand name and I'm planning on porting Android to mine. I think I'll be happy with my purchase
MattInMinnesota Wrote:
Pete Nice Wrote:this is my first post from my new touchpad. This thing is awesome!

suck it Ipad
This is my first post from my iPad!!!

I thought this post looked kind of douchie
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
Mauro Wrote:Well we'll see what happens....ordered 2 from Amazon for $99 each (for that price I HAD to get wifey one or I'd never hear the end of it HAHA) We'll see if I end up getting them or my order gets cancelled :crossingfingers:

Supposedly there is going to be a way to get Android on it...I may try that on mine, depends on if I like the webOS or not

I have been using mine on and off today. I like the web OS. I don't see a need for Android. I like having different platforms though, that is why I have an Android phone, an Ipod touch, a PC (or 3), and a WebOS tablet now. I have, use and will be familiar with, all types of tech operating systems, android, apple, pc and webos. I need something blackberry and I will have run the gambit.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
JDubb Wrote:Not sure I would have made that jump. Everything I read is HP is getting out of the tablet and PC business. I also read one story (TechCrunch I think) that said they were not going forward with WebOS or put any further development into upgrades and apps. I also heard a PodCast saying Best Buy have been trying to ship them back to HP because of poor sales.

Good luck guys!

I have heard that webOS is going to continue, it's just HP wants out of the retail world. They will still support and honor warranties on their stuff, as well as continue developing webOS. The touchpad just came out like a month ago and has been getting very good reviews. I have been checking out tablets and the touchpad was in my top 3 so far in which one to get, then this happened, and it was a no brainer.

As far as Best Buy, they are a bunch of dishonest pricks. They were saying that to people b/c when the price dropped, their employees were snatching them all up like hotcakes.

Hondo Wrote:HP claims they are not abandoning WebOS development...no telling right now. Regardless of if they port Android on it or not it's first class hardware that does basic internet functions, plays music and videos for $100-$150 depending on which one you get. You sure can't buy an iPod touch for that which is nowhere near what this thing does. It's a fucking steal at this price.

Once you get it optimize it. Follow the instructions here:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-news/how-to-improve-the-performance-of-your-new-hp-touchpad/3866">http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-news/h ... chpad/3866</a><!-- m -->

I am going to have to do that tomorrow, thanks Hondo, u da man!

Joe Wrote:Sounds like HD DVD players...

HP has said it will discontinue support of the TouchPad and its WebOS system, potentially impacting many who buy the fire sale product at a loss for service and updates in the future

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/201276/2...ameout.htm

On the HP website, they say the exact opposite of what this guy says. Support will last through warranty and webOS will continue. This guy really doesn't back up anything he says, his article looks like he copied and pasted a message board. Kind of like Rich preparing for the show.

New link @ Barnes & Noble

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/HP-TouchPad-Tablet-with-16GB-Memory-WiFi-12GHz-Black/e/886111788637?r=1&cm_mmc=AFFILIATES-_-Linkshare-_-lw9MynSeamY-_-10%3A1">http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/HP-Touc ... Y-_-10%3A1</a><!-- m -->
Pete Nice Wrote:
Joe Wrote:Sounds like HD DVD players...

HP has said it will discontinue support of the TouchPad and its WebOS system, potentially impacting many who buy the fire sale product at a loss for service and updates in the future

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/201276/2...ameout.htm

On the HP website, they say the exact opposite of what this guy says. Support will last through warranty and webOS will continue. This guy really doesn't back up anything he says, his article looks like he copied and pasted a message board. Kind of like Rich preparing for the show.

If they are going to continue supporting it and developing WebOS then why did the price go from $599 to $99?

Sent from a corn field
Pete Nice Wrote:
MattInMinnesota Wrote:
Pete Nice Wrote:this is my first post from my new touchpad. This thing is awesome!

suck it Ipad

We get it. You hate Apple. Get over it.
Everything I say is not true and all things I claim to have done or do are just made up for argument sake!!
[Image: nph_loves_mondays.gif]
i bleed green Wrote:
Pete Nice Wrote:
MattInMinnesota Wrote:

suck it Ipad

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

you got served!!!!
Pete Nice Wrote:
JDubb Wrote:Not sure I would have made that jump. Everything I read is HP is getting out of the tablet and PC business. I also read one story (TechCrunch I think) that said they were not going forward with WebOS or put any further development into upgrades and apps. I also heard a PodCast saying Best Buy have been trying to ship them back to HP because of poor sales.

Good luck guys!

I have heard that webOS is going to continue, it's just HP wants out of the retail world. They will still support and honor warranties on their stuff, as well as continue developing webOS. The touchpad just came out like a month ago and has been getting very good reviews. I have been checking out tablets and the touchpad was in my top 3 so far in which one to get, then this happened, and it was a no brainer.

As far as Best Buy, they are a bunch of dishonest pricks. They were saying that to people b/c when the price dropped, their employees were snatching them all up like hotcakes.
Here are a couple of links backing up what I read. Take it for what it's worth, I hope you guys are right and all this is BS. I hate seeing people spending their hard earned money on something that looks like a great deal only to find out later they have been dupped. I've been there way too many times myself.

HP hangs up its phones... and tablets
HP announced it will stop making its TouchPad tablet computer as well as mobile phones like the Pre and the Veer. The company is walking away from mobile and concentrating more on computers for businesses.
http://marketplace.publicradio.org/displ...d-tablets/

Hewlett-Packard sheds PC business
One time computer giant Hewlett-Packard has been struggling in recent years. The company now is taking drastic measures by pulling out of the personal computer, tablet and mobile phone markets.
http://marketplace.publicradio.org/displ...-business/

Good luck guys!

HP is getting out of the PC business?? What the hell will they sell? All my pcs have been HPs and I've been quite happy with them.
Just because someone can call me Mom now doesn't mean I am gonna be Betty Freakin Cocker and bake any pies.
Beckster is the new Dexter
I HATE PIE!!
beckster aka Tatertits Wrote:

Good luck guys!

HP is getting out of the PC business?? What the hell will they sell? All my pcs have been HPs and I've been quite happy with them.

Servers. Just like IBM did years ago.
i bleed green Wrote:
Pete Nice Wrote:
MattInMinnesota Wrote:

suck it Ipad

[smiley]Idouche[/smiley]

Well my order hasn't shipped yet, but it hasn't been cancelled yet....I hope I still get them!!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Laptop/Tablet Help NussieT 43 17,298 04-06-2012, 12:42 PM
Last Post: Hondo