Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are law enforcement cameras an invasion of privacy?
Hondo Wrote:There's an old saying that goes "If you haven't been there, you wouldn't understand". If you haven't lived on the edge of getting yourself killed there is no way on earth you can comprehend what the air out there smells like. No way.

It is not even worth it trying to talk about it. If you have never been a cop, you really don't know what cops deal with. If you have never been a soldier in a warzone, you really have no idea what that soldier deals with. Words can't explain it.
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
It seems to me that Rydrum takes the very academic, scientific approach for the most part and Hondo takes the experience approach for the most part.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
Pete Nice Wrote:It seems to me that Rydrum takes the very academic, scientific approach for the most part and Hondo takes the experience approach for the most part.

Very true. Sorry this thread was hijacked for an experiential debate. We used to have this one back in undergrad when discussing mental illnesses, often patients assume that treating psychologists won't understand because they haven't had X.

1) I can't help it but I am scientist at heart and it shows in a lot of my thinking. I realize that my position will never be the majority, and that most of my views will not be shared by many. I am ok with that.

2) I think Hondo came around to my way of thinking a little bit, as in he gets my point and my stance and might even agree with me a tiny bit- which is all I can ask for.

So, Hondo :beer:

P.S. If Hondo and I ever agree on something the other side better watch the fuck out.
Ha! Well I'll say this. If you only discuss issues with people who see things the same way you do your ability to learn anything decreases exponentially. Learning abhors a vacuum. The key to all of it is to try and remain objective and to think critically. I wish some of the rest of you guys would jump into these things.
I agree with Hondo actually, I understand what Rydrum is saying, I just don't think everything can be brought down to science and academia. No offense Rydrum, but I generally do not care or those in academia as they tend to be the lefty liberals that cause all the problems I hate.

I do like the concept of society based off who deserve the best, but it will NEVER happen.

Hondo Wrote:There will never be a true meritocracy as long as there is a human element to anything. It's a shame, but it's also reality.

Sorry bro...but I'm not buying your argument that academic stress is equal to that of that endured by people who risk their lives daily. The bullshit quota is probably the same or perhaps greater, but the stress level is not. How many professors do you see dealing with PTSD? What's the average lifespan of a professor versus a cop, fireman or soldier? I'm not saying at all that the civilian world isn't stressful...it certainly is. When you've walked both sides though the comparison is night and day. There are many of us ex-LEO's now well into their second (or third) careers. I stay in touch with a number of people who fit that bill and universally we laugh at how much easier it is to function in the civilian world. When you've adapted to dealing with the ridiculous amount of just plain horrible shit people do to each other on a daily basis a retreat into a world where your are absolved of dealing with it makes life sweet indeed. Why? Because you know something about humanity and life most people will NEVER understand.

There's an old saying that goes "If you haven't been there, you wouldn't understand". If you haven't lived on the edge of getting yourself killed there is no way on earth you can comprehend what the air out there smells like. No way.

One of my sisters was always fascinated by criminals. She got her criminal justice degree and even joined the Nat'l Guard. She landed a job patrolling Warren area and had to deal with a lot of bad stuff in her short time there. That girl was so paranoid of criminals following her home and doing things to her daughter, that she would change into street clothes before heading home. Then the governor cut funding and she was one of 600 cops who lost their jobs.

I will say that Hondo is right about the stress level.. Patting down a prostitute who has Hep B and dirty needles hidden all over her body, seeing her first autopsy, stopped a guy from trying to chop up his estranged pregnant wife with a pick ax while their children watched... were things that put my sister on a whole other level of stress. I have stress at my job, but nowhere near that shit.

Now she's a prison guard.. She has to do cavity searches on inmates and I have heard stories that made my stomach churn.
Just because someone can call me Mom now doesn't mean I am gonna be Betty Freakin Cocker and bake any pies.
Beckster is the new Dexter
I HATE PIE!!
Pete Nice Wrote:I agree with Hondo actually, I understand what Rydrum is saying, I just don't think everything can be brought down to science and academia. No offense Rydrum, but I generally do not care or those in academia as they tend to be the lefty liberals that cause all the problems I hate.

I do like the concept of society based off who deserve the best, but it will NEVER happen.

Yeah- a meritocracy is what we should strive for.

I don't know how you define lefty-liberal, so not sure if I am one by your standards. I am neither democrat or republican as I side with each depending upon the topic, and I don't know which problems you refer too.

I want to be in academia- but I think you are more referring to the "Arts" type stuff, philosophy, litearture, etc. when you say that.

The science/work I do is not the "ivory tower" stuff, where you can control all the little things in a lab and has no applicability in real life.
Rydrum Wrote:I am neither democrat or republican as I side with each depending upon the topic,

Me too bro. I guess what it comes down to is this for me. I don't want a democrat in the boardroom and I don't want a republican in the bedroom.
Hondo Wrote:
Rydrum Wrote:I am neither democrat or republican as I side with each depending upon the topic,

Me too bro. I guess what it comes down to is this for me. I don't want a democrat in the boardroom and I don't want a republican in the bedroom.

This, in both quotes.

I tend to really disagree with the liberal left though. They are the ones that cause 90% of the Pussification Of America stuff

You have 10% of the liberal left who are absolute kooks driving the liberal agenda. And then you have 10% of the right wing who are equally kooky driving the conservative agenda. The remaining 80% of us tend to view things pretty much the same way. Unfortunately it is this bullshit 20% from both sides that everyone listens to and the rest of us get fucked over because of it. Richard Nixon talked about the "silent majority" 40 years ago and he was absolutely right. Unless the majority decides to stop being silent and letting these asshats on the extremes of both sides control where we go as a nation the only place we're going is right down the shitter. I'm sick of this bullshit. I really am.
Pete Nice Wrote:
Hondo Wrote:

This, in both quotes.

I tend to really disagree with the liberal left though. They are the ones that cause 90% of the Pussification Of America stuff

That is my position, although with 1 minor addition- I am ok with raising taxes moderately [as in a very smal amount], and for increasing corporate taxes for businesses who keep their income holdings offshore- provided the money is used correctly and will help the economy.

it used to be called libertarian but now the tea-party whack-jobs have ruined that designation, so I am not sure what "I am".
You're absolutely right about the taxes. As bad as I hate it the only way we even stand a chance to get out of this mess involve drastic cuts in spending coupled with higher taxes to raise revenue. (among many other things). The problem we face is that none of these politicians has the guts to call for what is necessary...because the mess is so big and the solutions so painful that speaking the truth makes anyone who dares to do it unelectable.
Also...I pronounce this thread officially

[Image: train.jpg]
Dammit Hondo the picture should've been-

[Image: Lean-Into-It.jpg]

and then it would tie into my thread in the music section.
Hondo Wrote:You're absolutely right about the taxes. As bad as I hate it the only way we even stand a chance to get out of this mess involve drastic cuts in spending coupled with higher taxes to raise revenue. (among many other things). The problem we face is that none of these politicians has the guts to call for what is necessary...because the mess is so big and the solutions so painful that speaking the truth makes anyone who dares to do it unelectable.

They don't need to raise our taxes though, the little guy, they just need to tighten the tax code so that bankers and CEO's are not getting away with legally paying no taxes, same with big money corporations. If your company is making a ton of profit, it should be paying some tax. I know that is part of the base premise of these Occupy assclowns, they just have no idea how to go about it and are doing it all wrong.