Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are law enforcement cameras an invasion of privacy?
Red light cameras are horseshit. More than 85% of the tickets issued by them are for failing to stop prior to making a right turn on red. You roll through when you know it's clear and you get jammed up. They are revenue generators pure and simple. Go look where they are placed. They ALWAYS are at major intersections where you can turn right on red. You eliminate that aspect and target people who go across an intersection against a red signal = fine. But there's no real revenue in that.

In the UK speed cameras are being vandalized in wonderful acts of civil disobedience. Take a tire full of diesel fuel and out it around one and set it on fire. That's moving to the US as well. A good radar detector is the best defense against these things. Speed per se isn't a problem. The problem is speed difference. The guy going 80 and the guy going 40 on the same road is where it gets sideways. Not to mention American drivers are generally shitty.

As far as privacy goes anything visible to the public at large has no expectation of privacy. Cameras are everywhere...Big Brother is watching.
Derick Wrote:no poll ?

You and your fucking polls! :flame:
Pete Nice Wrote:I have no issues with law enforcement cameras. If your not doing anything wrong, what do you have to hide. I just hope it is used for real crime, like robbery, murder, drug sales, rape and assault. I do not think they should be used to bust people pissing in the alley or having sex in public. Red light cameras are fine, I have gotten one of those in NYC. I was following someone and had to go through a yellow. I would like for them to be changed so that you have a few more seconds to get through a legal yellow. I am not a fan of the speed control ones though, those we can do without.

What I do not want to see is them being used for Police cash grabs. Say what you want about safety and all that shit, 90% of all tickets given to drivers are cash grab tickets, especially by small town departments.

You got caught again??
Just because someone can call me Mom now doesn't mean I am gonna be Betty Freakin Cocker and bake any pies.
Beckster is the new Dexter
I HATE PIE!!
Joe Wrote:

:roflmao:
Just because someone can call me Mom now doesn't mean I am gonna be Betty Freakin Cocker and bake any pies.
I HATE PIE!!
Joe Wrote:

just don't tell us what you do in private & on your own time with your pole...
Rydrum Wrote:
Joe Wrote:

just don't tell us what you do in private & on your own time with your pole...

:roflmao: :roflmao: We already know that it starts out under any Hyundai...
I HATE PIE!!
I don't have a problem with the dash mounted cameras in cop cars to document traffic stops.
I don't like some of the new types of cameras they are starting to use though. They use optical character recognition (ocr) to read every licence plate that the cop drives by on the road and stores it in a database. I think that's pretty much the same as searching everyone's personal information as they walk down the street. I don't think the cops should be searching everyone, without any cause. That, i think is an invasion of privacy and goes against your constitutional rights protecting you from unlawfull search.

I saw a good pbs frontline about this stuff. If you skip to the 11 minute mark you can see the cameras i'm talking about.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/are-we-safer/?autoplay">http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline ... /?autoplay</a><!-- m -->
negadave Wrote:I don't have a problem with the dash mounted cameras in cop cars to document traffic stops.
I don't like some of the new types of cameras they are starting to use though. They use optical character recognition (ocr) to read every licence plate that the cop drives by on the road and stores it in a database. I think that's pretty much the same as searching everyone's personal information as they walk down the street. I don't think the cops should be searching everyone, without any cause. That, i think is an invasion of privacy and goes against your constitutional rights protecting you from unlawfull search.

I saw a good pbs frontline about this stuff. If you skip to the 11 minute mark you can see the cameras i'm talking about.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/are-we-safer/?autoplay">http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline ... /?autoplay</a><!-- m -->

I think those are only to be used with a reported stolen car or a registered owner who has a warrant out....in those instances I'm ok with it....HOWEVER, I think private citizens should be able to record and use any recordings of interactions with a police officer in thier defense IMO
Mauro Wrote:
negadave Wrote:I don't have a problem with the dash mounted cameras in cop cars to document traffic stops.

I think those are only to be used with a reported stolen car or a registered owner who has a warrant out....in those instances I'm ok with it....HOWEVER, I think private citizens should be able to record and use any recordings of interactions with a police officer in thier defense IMO

Plus I think any footage that shows the cops breaking the law should be used to prosecute them. When I lived in pitt, I saw more cops (I don't know if they were real cops or just pitt & CMU pub saftey) just flick the lights to avoid red traffic lights, than actually needing to go through them for an emergency.
How would you know if it was an emergency or not? If you called the cops for any reason...wouldn't you want them there ASAP? Fact is....you can get somewhere a LOT faster without using lights and siren.
Hondo Wrote:How would you know if it was an emergency or not? If you called the cops for any reason...wouldn't you want them there ASAP? Fact is....you can get somewhere a LOT faster without using lights and siren.

Well you would easily know if its an emergency if you have video of the event...

I just can't stand hypocrisy -why does being a law enforcement agent grant you the right to illegally park? I lived with a guy who was pub safety in undergrad and one summer he was a parking enforcement officer at a resort town, and they had all sorts of "rules", if you see shield or badge on dash then they never ticketed the car, etc.
So...as a matter of routine you regularly fuck with friends, coworkers and family to get them in trouble?

It's called professional courtesy. Every profession indulges in it to varying degrees. Maybe you're the kind of guy who'd write a ticket to his mother. I never was, and none of us ever had any tolerance for those douchebags that did. They quickly changed their tune or found themselves somewhere else.

Also...you have a video of the police from five or so minutes before the traffic light and four or five minutes after when he got to wherever it was he was going? and that video knows exactly what was transpiring? That's goddamn remarkable.
Hondo Wrote:How would you know if it was an emergency or not? If you called the cops for any reason...wouldn't you want them there ASAP? Fact is....you can get somewhere a LOT faster without using lights and siren.

How in the hell is that possible?
The only time you really lights and siren is to clear an intersection when there's traffic. Otherwise all it does is cause people to panic, slow down, change lanes erratically and stop in the middle of the road forcing you to take evasive action. You're better off just blasting through as fast as you can. When they don't know you're coming you can get by them faster. If there is heavy traffic you don't have much choice but in light traffic you're better off without them.
Hondo Wrote:So...as a matter of routine you regularly fuck with friends, coworkers and family to get them in trouble?

It's called professional courtesy. Every profession indulges in it to varying degrees. Maybe you're the kind of guy who'd write a ticket to his mother. I never was, and none of us ever had any tolerance for those douchebags that did. They quickly changed their tune or found themselves somewhere else.

Also...you have a video of the police from five or so minutes before the traffic light and four or five minutes after when he got to wherever it was he was going? and that video knows exactly what was transpiring? That's goddamn remarkable.

FIrst, you can't look at where they were traveling with whether a call was going out, since traffic violations are applied by the police?

Second, yeah "fucking" friends is what I was talking about...

Professional courtesy occurs on things that are arbitrary (like % profit on an item, or service time) not on letting something that is illegal go. Everyone else does it- so that excuses it too?

Because clearly having a consistent standard in applying the law & rules of governance to everyone shouldn't happen. If you don't get how this is different, then I don't know what to tell you.

If someone asks me to do some analysis for them, for professional courtesy- I might spend more time on it or put it infront of something else. But I am not going to change the numbers to get what they are looking for- its unethical and wrong.