Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you believe in evolution?
I feel like I am going to be doing a lot of explaining in this thread... hopefully can help fix some misconceptions. I have a good knowledge of Evo. but it is not my primary field.

Just an FYI- the official position of the catholic church is that evolution is true. (Unless benedict changed this).

Evolution is simply the mechanism & explanation for the diversity of life. That is, after life has started evolution takes over. If you are asking about the origin of life- then you should start a thread on that.

LeNeve Wrote:And if you believe in evolution, how did that even start
Evolution started because living things compete for resources and propagate their species.

Brampton Wrote:however not in the origin of man. If we evolved from apes, why doesn't this continue to happen? However I do believe that all living things evolve and adapt to conditions that are out of their control, so they can survive and thrive.
Quick technical thing- Humans, Chimps & Bonobos, Orangutans, and Gorillas are "Apes". We didn't evolve from an ape because we are one. What happened was that humans and chimps (and bonobos) have a common ancestor.

Evolution is continuing to happen, it can not really be seen like you mention because humans do not live long enough to see it in our own species (At most we could witness 3 generations). However we can observe it in other species with shorter life spans, <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peppered_moth_evolution">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peppered_moth_evolution</a><!-- m -->
LeNeve Wrote:This is my favorite debate. I totally believe in evolution, but how did it start.

I freaking hate magic. I think jesus was the chris angel of that time period. I see these assholes doing "magic". I know there is a scientific reason they can do what they do, and retards everywhere think its amazing.

Religion has become ridiculous to me. I still want to believe, but....

sent from a tornado

Haha, that's exactly what Ellis says.
You all know where I stand!!!
JESUS LOVES YOU!!!
 - I’m a loner, Dottie, a rebel.
Hardcore creationists are dumb because they take the bible to literally. It's filled with symbolism and metaphors. And it's been translated, words can have different meanings. There's a line in the bible that God created man by "breathing into him the breath of life" and the original words for 'breathing" and "breath" could have meant a half dozen other things like spirit and wind.
And then evolutionists are dumb because they say the hardcore creationists are wrong on a couple things, so the whole idea is impossible. It's like dealing with politicians.

The great Stan Marsh once said, Can't evolution be the answer to "how?" and not "why?"

I'm pretty sure there's nothing in the bible about evolution.
Because I'm pretty sure they didn't care about that "message".

You can believe in both.
Derick Wrote:no poll ?

It must have evolved.
LeNeve Wrote:
Derick Wrote:no poll ?

It must have evolved.

:roflmao:

Haha, it evolved into a debate.
Brian Wrote:
Brampton Wrote:Ok.....I choose to be Christian. I'm 32 and I believe out of choice.

Do I believe in Evolution? Yes. however not in the origin of man. If we evolved from apes, why doesn't this continue to happen?

However I do believe that all living things evolve and adapt to conditions that are out of their control, so they can survive and thrive.
It takes thousands and thousands of years for this to happen. You're not going to witness it.

We kind of witness it. There are way more hot chicks in high schools now than there was 20 years ago. Athletes are bigger and faster. People in general are taller.
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
eddieyourdj Wrote:You all know where I stand!!!
JESUS LOVES YOU!!!

But I am not Mexican.

What about that guy Jesus DeJesus?
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
Pete Nice Wrote:
Brian Wrote:
Brampton Wrote:Ok.....I choose to be Christian. I'm 32 and I believe out of choice.

Do I believe in Evolution? Yes. however not in the origin of man. If we evolved from apes, why doesn't this continue to happen?

However I do believe that all living things evolve and adapt to conditions that are out of their control, so they can survive and thrive.
It takes thousands and thousands of years for this to happen. You're not going to witness it.

We kind of witness it. There are way more hot chicks in high schools now than there was 20 years ago. Athletes are bigger and faster. People in general are taller.
True, but is this evolution or just too many chemicals and hormones in our food?
I've never understood the schism between God and science. To me evolution and creationism is 100% congruent. God used the tools of science to create what exists. The Bible is told in grossly simplistic terms that the simple people 2000 years ago could understand. The message is what matters, not the literal translation. To deny the science is just as reckless as to deny God.

My .02
Hondo Wrote:I've never understood the schism between God and science. To me evolution and creationism is 100% congruent. God used the tools of science to create what exists. The Bible is told in grossly simplistic terms that the simple people 2000 years ago could understand. The message is what matters, not the literal translation. To deny the science is just as reckless as to deny God.

My .02

You guys are not using the term "creationism" in its classic sense. Creationism is the belief that a supreme being created all of life exactly as it is now. What you guys are referring to is something called theistic evolution.
Brian Wrote:
Pete Nice Wrote:We kind of witness it. There are way more hot chicks in high schools now than there was 20 years ago. Athletes are bigger and faster. People in general are taller.
True, but is this evolution or just too many chemicals and hormones in our food?

It is probably not too many chemicals & hormones in our food. This is probably the result of the second, and lesser known type of selection, called Sexual Selection (as opposed to the one everyone knows in natural selection). This is more to do with the intra-species competition, (that is males and females vying for one another and competing against their own gender); where as natural selection is more inter-species & environmentally impacted.
Rydrum Wrote:I feel like I am going to be doing a lot of explaining in this thread... hopefully can help fix some misconceptions. I have a good knowledge of Evo. but it is not my primary field.

Just an FYI- the official position of the catholic church is that evolution is true. (Unless benedict changed this).

Evolution is simply the mechanism & explanation for the diversity of life. That is, after life has started evolution takes over. If you are asking about the origin of life- then you should start a thread on that.

LeNeve Wrote:And if you believe in evolution, how did that even start
Evolution started because living things compete for resources and propagate their species.

Brampton Wrote:however not in the origin of man. If we evolved from apes, why doesn't this continue to happen? However I do believe that all living things evolve and adapt to conditions that are out of their control, so they can survive and thrive.
Quick technical thing- Humans, Chimps & Bonobos, Orangutans, and Gorillas are "Apes". We didn't evolve from an ape because we are one. What happened was that humans and chimps (and bonobos) have a common ancestor.

Evolution is continuing to happen, it can not really be seen like you mention because humans do not live long enough to see it in our own species (At most we could witness 3 generations). However we can observe it in other species with shorter life spans, <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peppered_moth_evolution">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peppered_moth_evolution</a><!-- m -->
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
they must have great fitting pants and shirts
Chip Wrote:
LeNeve Wrote:This is my favorite debate. I totally believe in evolution, but how did it start.

I freaking hate magic. I think jesus was the chris angel of that time period. I see these assholes doing "magic". I know there is a scientific reason they can do what they do, and retards everywhere think its amazing.

Religion has become ridiculous to me. I still want to believe, but....

sent from a tornado

Haha, that's exactly what Ellis says.
if Ellis says it, theres no way I'd agree with it.
Hondo is the voice of reason and Rydrum is a deep thinker. That's what I take away from all of this.