Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abbey Belgian Style Ale
None of the liqour stores had any Fat Tire today, so my wife and the "genius" at the liqour store decided I would like Abbey belgian style ale, based solely on the fact that it's made by the same brewery, as Fat Tire. I'm starting to get the impression that I may be the smartest man in town, with the most class, and taste.

I'm definitely not ready for this stuff. It tastes kind of like Fat Tire, mixed with whiskey. Really strong stuff. I am not a fan of whiskey at all. So this tastes gross to me.
I will be steering clear of this for awhile. It also tastes like raisins, or fig newtons, or prunes. All things I hate.
Anyone had this? Anyone want a 5 pack of this?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/192/1912">http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/192/1912</a><!-- m -->
It also gave me heartburn.
Abbey Ale was the first beer made by the New Belgium Brewing Company. It is in the style of a Trappist Ale like Chimay (one of my favorites). It is what I would call serious beer. The standard alcohol content of a trappist is anywhere from 7.9-10.5 percent. Which means a couple bottles and you feel like you've drunk a 6 or a 12.

Personally, I like Abbey Ale, but I don't LOVE it. It has won virtually every award that it could possibly win, but I think there is better beer out there.

Yeah, you aren't quite ready for that, however I am very impressed with some of the tastes that you got out of it. Few people get figs when they taste it. What that tells me is that even when you get to that point, you will probably not like Abbey simply because you don't like the component taste. It is like me and Porters and 99% of stouts. I don't like coffee and I don't like chocolate. Hard to like things that taste like them. But I still love me some Guinness.

Do you like coffee? I forget. Kind of important for the next round of suggestions.
---------------------------------
Pokes28 -- AKA David in Missouri
Yes, I love coffee.
OK. A beer that you would find worth trying (from New Belgium) would be 1554.

1554 is a bit different and pretty certain that you'll like it. I think the odds are favorable, just not completely sure. It is a Belgium Black Ale which means it will have notes of chocolate, coffee, maybe some toffee and dark fruit (like roasted peaches) tones. Been a while since I had one and I've already said I'm not a fan of chocolate or coffee so this just isn't my thing. This is almost a Porter style beer which could very well end up being your wheelhouse for sipping beers. People don't just put away Porters and Stouts, they savor and sip. Generally they are pretty filling and have a really deep flavor.
---------------------------------
Pokes28 -- AKA David in Missouri

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Faro style beer Pokes28 1 1,809 02-09-2011, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Joe
  Blue Moon Grand Cru 2009 Belgian-Style Wheat Ale Pete Nice 2 1,347 05-12-2010, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Pokes28