Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Complaint Dept.
negadave Wrote:I must have paid the $37 overdraft fee 15-20 times this year.
I'll pay some bills online, get gas twice, then not touch my debt card for 8 days. Check my ballance at the atm, still hundreds in there. I rent a movie for $1 out the redbox, or buy a $3 quart of oil go over by 2 bucks and they pay everything out then.

$40 for a quart of oil Confusedwoot: . I swear they hold that shit on purpose. Since nobody writes checks anymore, who really balences their checkbook?
I try not to keep alot of cash in the bank

I Knew it! assholes. I wish i got in on this lawsuit

Thursday, September 30, 2010 3:16 AM EDT

Webster Bank settles overdraft lawsuit for $2.8m

BY MARC SILVESTRINI REPUBLICAN-AMERICAN

Webster Bank said Wednesday it has agreed to pay $2.8 million to settle a class action lawsuit arising from its assessment and collection of overdraft fees form its checking account customers.

The suit was filed in Waterbury Superior Court on April 29 by Mark P. Kindall, an attorney with the West Hartford law firm Izard Nobel, on behalf of Kelly Methena, a Middlebury resident and Webster customer. Izard Nobel specializes in class action litigation.

The suit charged the bank with manipulating its customers' checking account debits in a way that maximizes the number of overdraft fees the bank can charge.

Specifically, the suit said the bank posts checks and ATM withdrawals not in the order in which they are written or received by the bank, but by posting the largest withdrawals first against the account balance, a process that drains the account faster and maximizes overdraft fees.

In a written statement, Webster said Wednesday it "continues to believe its practices were both proper and lawful."

The bank said it opted to pay the $2.8 million settlement "fully and finally to resolve the litigation and avoid any further expense and distraction occasioned" by the lawsuit.

Messages In This Thread