Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 229
» Latest member: nfkjasfas
» Forum threads: 3,721
» Forum posts: 181,812

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 1218 online users.
» 0 Member(s) | 1217 Guest(s)
Bing

Latest Threads
Chip
March 13th, 2024 - 15 Yea...

Forum: Daily Threads
Last Post: Chip
03-13-2024, 03:08 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 0
Chip
Fuck the Penguins.

Forum: Hockey
Last Post: Chip
03-13-2024, 01:45 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 0
New York City Food

Forum: Travel
Last Post: niki123456
07-19-2021, 01:37 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 1,679
Kate Upton News

Forum: Hot or Not
Last Post: Nortoncomsetup
07-17-2021, 05:32 AM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 3,457
what song title best desc...

Forum: Music
07-17-2021, 05:30 AM
» Replies: 16
» Views: 6,664
Week 12 - 11-24-2011

Forum: Football
07-17-2021, 05:28 AM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 4,669
NFL Week 14

Forum: Football
07-17-2021, 05:27 AM
» Replies: 15
» Views: 5,029
Two good ones; one Italia...

Forum: Wine
07-17-2021, 05:25 AM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 1,180
Europe's first Octagon Gi...

Forum: MMA \ Boxing
07-17-2021, 05:24 AM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 3,205
Wednesday 12-2-2015 - Gun...

Forum: Daily Threads
07-17-2021, 05:22 AM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 207

Pride and Prejudice......and Zombies
Posted by: Jersey_Mike - 04-24-2009, 01:23 PM - Forum: The Zombie Invasion - Replies (1)

Picked this book up in an airport for something to read. The author took 85% of Pride and Prejudice and added in 15% zombies. Would have made the book a lot more intresting in high school.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.courant.com/features/books/hc-janeausten-zombies.art0apr24,0,507460.story">http://www.courant.com/features/books/h ... 7460.story</a><!-- m -->

And a new book is coming out as well:

Quote:But if you ever wondered how the 16th president would handle himself against the undead, you'll soon find out; Grahame-Smith's next book is titled "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Slayer."

Print this item

TOMB
Posted by: Rooski - 04-24-2009, 09:46 AM - Forum: Covino & Rich Topics - Replies (3)

TOMB is down AGAIN!!

Print this item

XBOX Live Gamer Tags
Posted by: Joe - 04-23-2009, 01:25 PM - Forum: General Topics - Replies (8)

Post yours here.
Mine is SportRider75
:gamer:

Print this item

Tips from a career salon expert on managing the job hunt
Posted by: Joe - 04-23-2009, 01:01 PM - Forum: General Discussion - Replies (3)

Tips from a career salon expert on managing the job hunt
April 23, 10:31 AM · Add a Comment
ShareThis Feed

While scrambling for a job, in the hectic chaos of that search often we forget to look in our own backyard for resources. There, one can find not only a contact or two, but perhaps some inspiration in the work life challenges that come along with the job search.
In a recent conversation with career transition expert Bob Simmons, CEO of Career Transitions Associates, he shared a story of a boomer who after many attempts sending her resume into the black hole of the typical job search, attended a career support club or salon. The results were not immediate, but instead organic.
One relationship lead to another, and another. Within weeks, word of her skills virally spread throughout this support network to an appropriate employer who was magically searching for someone with her profile. Since she was heading back to work due to her 401-K being demolished in the market tumble, her disposition wasn’t exactly peachy. Being able to vent weekly at her Job Guide Club, she received guidance and along with kind words of support.
Bob Simmons runs the Job Guide Club in Plainview, Long Island. It’s now up to 31 members who meet every other week and support one another during the highs and lows of the job search. I asked him a few questions about the job hunting process in general.

JUDY: What are the greatest vehicles to network in the current climate-in order of importance?
BOB: Face to face networking followed by phone networking followed by social networking on the web followed by e-mail networking.
JUDY: What happens at a job salon or club?

BOB: The clubs I have been running for a number of years provide the following advantages:
Gain complete proficiency with “Tell Me About Yourself,” exercises. Can you tell a person why you will be a good employee if hired?
Discussion of job search concerns and issues ranging from “I lost my job last last week” to advise on negotiating a new salary offer.
Discussion around difficult subject matters: ”How do you handle two DWI convictions and some jail time over the past five years when you are looking for a new job?”
Support from present club members along with a network support list of over 1500 names, the majority of whom, have landed jobs.
Networking Socials: Periodic social networking parties which bring together a number of other job clubs to mingle and further network.
Recently we established a CTA Job Club Member Yahoo Group which now has over 75 members and is growing. This promotes further job search and network communication between club members.

JUDY: How important is it to dive into the social media landscape to network for a job?
BOB: Very important. The more eyes and ears of people who know I am looking for
a job, the better the chance for success. This is a concept I repeat over and over again.
JUDY: What are the three most important things you should be able to communicate to a prospective employer within minutes?
BOB: Career focus, followed by your applicable business strengths and examples - along with your education if appropriate.
JUDY: What are the best exercises for the brain and morale that one can engage in while job hunting?
Stay in today, meaning don’t project the future and possible negative ramifications. ie: “What will happen if I don’t have a job six months from now?”
Create a daily “To Do” List to keep your job search focused and ongoing.
Surround yourself with positive, uplifting people. Avoid those who live life with a moan and groan attitude.
Pay attention to the little events in your job search, such as a recruiter calling you to discuss your resume which may lead to no further activity, or someone willing to walk your resume into a company - both of which may require follow-up.
Changing jobs or looking for a new one does not have to be a lonely journey. Building a community around your search through networking can bare fruit in career and support in your work life transition. Career coach & resume writer Bob Simmons can be reached at 516-501-0717.
Write Judy at info[at]judymartinspeaks.com. Visit her blog at WorkLifeNation.com.

Print this item

Erica Christensen
Posted by: Rooski - 04-23-2009, 10:27 AM - Forum: Covino & Rich Topics - Replies (4)

gotta get this forum hoppin' again....

Erika Christensen....kind of your 'girl next door' type. most recognizable probably for her role as the stalker g/f in Swimfan, also been in The Perfect Score and Flightplan.

[Image: erika_christensen.jpg?t=1240499066]
[Image: Erika_Christensen_881lo.jpg]
[Image: Erika-Christensen-picture-Z1G40339_b.jpg]
[Image: Erika-Christensen-2.jpg]

Print this item

Funny Cat pics version....3??
Posted by: Derick - 04-23-2009, 09:50 AM - Forum: Covino & Rich Topics - Replies (23)

this ones for you pete

Print this item

Breathable cocktail
Posted by: JDubb - 04-23-2009, 08:55 AM - Forum: Covino & Rich Topics - Replies (4)

A walk-in cocktail has opened in London where just entering the bar could get you drunk.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://newslite.tv/2009/04/20/worlds-fi">http://newslite.tv/2009/04/20/worlds-fi</a><!-- m --> ... ail-o.html

Print this item

New phone, lg rhythm?
Posted by: LeNeve - 04-23-2009, 08:19 AM - Forum: General Topics - Replies (14)

I got this lg rhythm today for 10 dollars, because of some promo, and renewing my contract. It seems like a cool phone. I haven't had time to play around with it yet though. It is alot different than the kyocera soho I have had for the last two years.

Does anyone have this phone?
How do you like it?
Any problems you have experienced?
Things you especially like?
How is the web surfing?
Any apps that are worth the money?
Is there any way to transfer my games and apps from my old phone?

So far today the ringer is not loud enough, (although I have been in a noisy shop), and I have to stop, unlock the phone, and press a button to see if I have missed a call or text. My old phone I could walk by and see instantly, or a bright blue light would blink letting me know.

Print this item

look like we have a new board
Posted by: Derick - 04-22-2009, 10:06 PM - Forum: Covino & Rich Topics - Replies (19)

What happened to the old one? Can i have my post count back Wink

Print this item

100 days
Posted by: Arkansas Red - 04-22-2009, 09:43 PM - Forum: Politics - Replies (2)

Unfortunately we lost our critiques about President Obama's first 100 days. Feel free to repost when you get the chance (I will when I am a little more sober).

P.S. Thanks Joe for remembering the Politics/Philosophy corner! Big Grin

Print this item