Dudebro Nation

Full Version: What do I do? Funerals.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
My grandmother passed away last night, (its okay she was 90 and has been in a nursing home for the past 13 years). Although it's a little sad, I'm not real tore up about it, that is life.

I have been given the duty as a pall bearer. I don't know what a pall bearer does. Do I carry an urn, and act real creepy, like the "Undertakers" manager?

I don't have a funeral appropriate suit, and I can't get one anywhere near me, and I don't have the cash to get one online and shipped in the next 2 days.

This is also going to be a hard core catholic funeral. I'm not catholic, this was my step mothers mom (I've known her for 20 years though). My Dad, and I have no idea what a catholic funeral is like. He said it is like a 3 day long event.

The deceased also comes from major money, so the other pall bearers will be rocking Armani suits, or whatever. Even though this is a funeral, I don't want to look like the poor dumbass from the gutter. I want to respect the funeral by wearing something nice, and for my own selfish reasons, I don't want to look like the worst dressed.
Just wear clean clothes and dont say anything. But if and only if someone says something about you not wearing a suit, tell them to go fuck themselves.

If there is an urn, and you have to carry it, you better act like Paul Bearer!
I'm rocking a suit no matter what.
LeNeve Wrote:I'm rocking a suit no matter what.
well if you have a suit wear it. Who gives a shit what it looks like, as long as it isn't a white suit a la Miami Vice
What kind of suit do you have?

I was a pallbearer for my grandmother funeral.

A dark suit and shoes should be fine, who cares what brand the other guys are wearing.
Pete Nice Wrote:What kind of suit do you have?

A dark suit and shoes should be fine, who cares what brand the other guys are wearing.
I agree. I wore a dark suit for my grandmothers funeral (I also was a pallbearer)

I care what I'm wearing. I am very very egotistical.

I only have khaki colered suits.
What is the job of a pallbearer? Where do I sit in the church? Will they train me first? When you go to a wedding they train you on what to do at the rehearsal. Do they train you for a funeral?

It does not have to be expensive. I just want something classy.
Okay. Ive been reading. What if I drop the casket? I hate this type of high pressure situation. I always choke when everyone is watching me.
LeNeve you are stressing yourself over nothing. Wear black dress pants, a dark shirt and a tie... That's what my brother did for my grandpa's funeral.
If you are set on a suit could you rent one??
Unless your grandmother was 500+ pounds you wont drop the casket. Sit with your family and you'll know when to go lift it
If you don't feel like reading, the funeral home guys will tell you what to do.

I was a paul bearer at both my grams funerals. One i was like 15 so i don't really remember. The other passed away like 2 years ago.

You gotta wear a suit, all black. I didn't have one, got one at walmart for like $180 bucks.

I'm catholic. They generally have the wake the day before. That's more for everyone that knew the person to come, kneel down at the casket (one or couple at a time) say a prayer for the person and pay their last respects. You won't have to do anything then.

The funeral is the next day. That's just for family and maybe close friends. There's probbly gonna be a short private church service. They'll have everyone leave ahead of you and 6 people carry the casket to the car. You take it back out at the cemetary and that's about it.

The funeral home guy's will give you directions.
Good information guys. :thanks: :high5:
LeNeve Wrote:My grandmother passed away last night, (its okay she was 90 and has been in a nursing home for the past 13 years). Although it's a little sad, I'm not real tore up about it, that is life.

This is also going to be a hard core catholic funeral. I'm not catholic, this was my step mothers mom (I've known her for 20 years though).

You might want to bring some sunglasses to the burial. took me a few funerals to learn that this was acceptable. Even if you weren't that close to the gramother you might end up shedding one unless your some stone cold tough guy. Shades are nice to have if you are a normal guy and you would feel weird about crying, especially in front of other people. Sometimes you just get caught up in the swoot vibe.
Pages: 1 2 3