Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
foreign languages
Are you bilingual? Being in Europe(France) last week, I was fascinated & frustrated with their language. I think it would be dope to learn another language!!!
 - I’m a loner, Dottie, a rebel.
living in chicago, my spanish is coming along nicely
[Image: cat.gif]
I'm a juggernaut of awesomeness
I have always thought being a linguist and knowing as many languages as possible would be awesome.

As we get older, our minds are not as open to learning new languages. That sucks, it can still be done, it just takes more effort.

I would say I am about 60% proficient in Spanish and about 10% proficient in Russian. I would really like to be 100% in both. I downloaded the Rosetta Stone torrents for both, I just need to get it working. I am trying to simplify my currently hectic life, so maybe in the near future.
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
I can understand spanish, and can speak it fairly well too. Especially after a few beers for some reason.
I was a French Immersion student so I am fluent in both English and French. I know very little Spanish and a bit of Ukrainian (because of my grandma) but I wouldn't be able to have a full conversation. I would love to learn how though!
I took 3 years of Spanish and can still barely speak it.
Just because someone can call me Mom now doesn't mean I am gonna be Betty Freakin Cocker and bake any pies.
Beckster is the new Dexter
I HATE PIE!!
I only know a handfull of words in spanish. It's enough to tell the mexicans on the job what to do though. I wish i knew it fluently though. I think it makes you seem ( i can't think of the word) baller, sophisicated, refined
I know a few swears in portugees and italian
I know very little outside of English.
I know very few words in German and Spanish.
[Image: Pieman-1.jpg?t=1284932424][Image: Yuingling-1.jpg?t=1277772886][Image: 0628101537a-1.jpg?t=1277772720]
I'm reasonably fluent in Spanish but strangely enough I need to be somewhere where it's spoken to get back in the groove. I used to get called to translate all the time on the PD...I hated that. I know curse words in several languages.
I grew up speaking german but I'm not very good at it.
Everything I say is not true and all things I claim to have done or do are just made up for argument sake!!
[Image: nph_loves_mondays.gif]
I also went to French immersion, I can understand French completely but since I haven't spoken it regularily in the last 12 years, my speech is shit. It's enough for me to get by but to have a conversation is tough. My mom grew up in the Philippines and many of her friends are Filipino, so I know a lot of words but that's about it. I lived with my grandfather for many years and he only spoke Chinese (cantonese) so I know very little cantonese but can't speak it either.
The Canadian government in all their wisdom spends billions on billingualism every year. It was mandatory that we take French classes from grade 4 to 6 or 7. I can speak virtually no French. If you don't use a language you lose it pretty quick. Alberta is as English of a province as you can get. But I can read a hell of a lot of words due to the fact that everything is double labelled in Canada. So you read the English and then read the French. It did help me out when I was in France, I was really suprised that I actually understood that much when put into practice.
We are pretty lucky that our first language is English considering English is most peoples second language, globally used. But it's good to broaden your horizons and learn new things. I've been trying German lately and failing miserably.
My name is Taco. Don Taco.
[Image: Oilergirl2.jpg][Image: OilersCheerleaders2.jpg]
cody Wrote:The Canadian government in all their wisdom spends billions on billingualism every year. It was mandatory that we take French classes from grade 4 to 6 or 7. I can speak virtually no French. If you don't use a language you lose it pretty quick. Alberta is as English of a province as you can get. But I can read a hell of a lot of words due to the fact that everything is double labelled in Canada. So you read the English and then read the French. It did help me out when I was in France, I was really suprised that I actually understood that much when put into practice.
We are pretty lucky that our first language is English considering English is most peoples second language, globally used. But it's good to broaden your horizons and learn new things. I've been trying German lately and failing miserably.
Sounds like how it is with spanish here. I'm all for learning new things and broadening horizons and all, but it kind of irritates me. We have ALOT of spanish speaking people here illeagally and that stuff is caterning to THEIR needs rather than ours.
negadave Wrote:
cody Wrote:The Canadian government in all their wisdom spends billions on billingualism every year. It was mandatory that we take French classes from grade 4 to 6 or 7. I can speak virtually no French. If you don't use a language you lose it pretty quick. Alberta is as English of a province as you can get. But I can read a hell of a lot of words due to the fact that everything is double labelled in Canada. So you read the English and then read the French. It did help me out when I was in France, I was really suprised that I actually understood that much when put into practice.
Sounds like how it is with spanish here. I'm all for learning new things and broadening horizons and all, but it kind of irritates me. We have ALOT of spanish speaking people here illeagally and that stuff is caterning to THEIR needs rather than ours.
Yeah, you shouldn't have to pick your language when you're in a self checkout line.
[Image: Pieman-1.jpg?t=1284932424][Image: Yuingling-1.jpg?t=1277772886][Image: 0628101537a-1.jpg?t=1277772720]