Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2003 Highlands Howell Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon
We had this one Saturday night with some thick cut Delmonico's, bought at the market in the morning and grilled in the evening.

So, I have mentioned before about the Pennsylvania state controlled liquor stores, or as I call them, the Nazi Stores. They actually did something right for once. This bottle sells for around $70. Even on the internet, the cheapest listing I could find was $50. PA bought it in bulk, and was selling it for $20 a bottle, so I got one. I am going to get a case this week. This wine was great. I am not really a California wine guy, but I have nothing bad to say about this wine, except that it was all gone too fast. Wine Spectator rated it a 91 I believe.

Here is a brief description:

Beatty Ranch was picked on October 27. The grapes arrived fully ripe and full of flavor. This Cabernet has a solid core of wild berry red fruit, blackberry, mulberry and raspberry. There are notes of jalapeño pepper and green and black olive. The '03 is balanced across the palate. The perception is simply fruit forward with excellent tannin structure. The vintage of 2003 has yielded many great wines, this is one of them. It has that extra depth of complexity that makes it classic Howell Mountain.

If you live in PA, get to the closest state superstore and get at least a bottle. Can't lose for the $20. If you are out of state, try it anyway at $50, it's worth it.

[Image: high_03_CabSauv_HMBR.jpg]

[Image: Highlands03%20Cabernet.jpg]
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
Big thumbs up Pete. Although I have never had this wine, wine from the Howell Mountain area is great. The cab and merlots from this region are some of the best Ca. cabs and merlot. If you are able to get Howell Mountain Cab for $20, grab as much as you can.
What is the reason for it being that much cheaper in PA?
LeNeve Wrote:What is the reason for it being that much cheaper in PA?

They worked out a deal with the winery to buy it in bulk as a greatly discounted rate in order to get their name out there. That's what the store somallier told me.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
I might have to check this stuff out.
[Image: Pieman-1.jpg?t=1284932424][Image: Yuingling-1.jpg?t=1277772886][Image: 0628101537a-1.jpg?t=1277772720]
the keifer Wrote:I might have to check this stuff out.

You have to go to one of the big premium stores, the small regular stores don't have it.

Pete, have you checked out any of the PA wines?
Joe In PA Wrote:Pete, have you checked out any of the PA wines?

Not really, the selection around PGH of PA wines is slim and not so good.

Hey Joe, have you checked out the wine from the Blue Balls and Bird in Hand area? Maybe we should start a thread for Pa. wines?
Pete Nice Wrote:

Not really, the selection around PGH of PA wines is slim and not so good.

Next time you make it out this way I'll send you a list. I saved them all as Outlook Contacts.