Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mooonday,May 10 2010....Rodney Dangerfield Time
Nussie_T Wrote:
beckster aka Tatertits Wrote:It's like the humming of a fan in your bedroom :yawn:

Does anyone find they sleep better when they have a fan on?

My husband HAS to sleep with a fan on. It can't be a quiet little desk fan...no... it has to be one of those large square floor fans. It's loud, it makes me cold when I get out of bed... I could smash that thing into pieces...
Just the white noise off of a fan puts me out.
[Image: Pieman-1.jpg?t=1284932424][Image: Yuingling-1.jpg?t=1277772886][Image: 0628101537a-1.jpg?t=1277772720]
My wife and I had a golden retriever that snored really loud. So bad that it made it so I couldn't sleep. We put a fan on her and it kind of drowned out her snoring. Then when she died, we tried sleeping without the fan and neither of us could sleep. So we kept the fan thing going.
---------------------------------
Pokes28 -- AKA David in Missouri
When I was younger I would go to sleep with my radio on... until I started dating Jim.
Covino Wrote:
Pokes28 Wrote:Covino,

I'm pissed at you right now. You open up your phones for discussion and when I call in, you call me a racist and hang up on me and then have the balls to say that nobody has given good points. You should never open up your phones for discussion if you aren't at least going to be willing to listen to people.

Sadly I have to start this off with the normal. I'm not a racist. My family and friends looks like a freaking rainbow. I don't wear nor do I own anything with the Confederate flag on it. The reason isn't because I think it is racist, but I wouldn't wear it simply because so many people do think of it as racist and groups such as Skin heads and the KKK have wrecked its meaning. But I do respect the South and there are a lot of folks that proudly display the flag despite the KKK not in support of them. I was born in California and grew up in Oklahoma which was still Indian Territory during the Civil War. I live in Missouri now which was a free state. So it doesn't even apply directly to me. I love the ideals of this country (I was in the service for 7 years) but I feel like it is headed in a direction that will end its run as the greatest nation on earth.

Slavery was a secondary issue but obviously the most controversial. The real reason the South tried to leave is that there were more Northern states and they controlled the House, Senate, and White House. They continually put in new laws that only impacted the South and due to the numbers, the people in those states could do nothing about it. Just like today the Tea Party (who also use an old flag that was a symbol of rebellion) is strongest in the "fly over states" but the population of the other states is such that there has been a lot of really divisive legislation against the wishes of the majority of people (EX: health care).

The South left the Union not because Lincoln ran for office on the platform of abolishing slavery. He was against slavery but he stated repeatedly that he wouldn't force the South to give up slaves. Very few Southerners owned slaves yet the South as a whole fought for Independence. If it was about slavery, how could that be? Also, General Lee was anti-Slavery. Had the South won the war, Lee would have been the 2nd President of the Confederacy and it is very likely that slavery would have ended under him.

You want to know about what Southerners should be proud. Southern culture consists of very strong emphasis on the Bill of Rights, ultra conservatism, and religion (specifically Christianity). 2nd amendment and the NRA is strongest in the South. The South believes in limited government which is why they felt they could leave the Union. There was nothing in the Constitution that prevented states from leaving the union. There are still a lot of people that would love to have their states form a new more conservative government and leave the USA. In just the last 6 months I've heard that sentiment in Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Alabama, Tennessee, and Georgia. I don't know if it has anything to do with it or not, but the nicest people I've ever met are from these same states.

I understand that people come into a discussion like this with their minds made up. As a person that hasn't a clue about life outside of NY/NJ or now California, it would be very easy to just sit there and pass judgment. It is like when people use the term redneck. They use it as a negative equal to white trash. But to those of us that were raised poor and in farming communities, being a redneck isn't an insult, it is a complement. It simply means somebody working outside doing honest labor. Yet somehow it is derogatory to most people. To me calling somebody a Yankee is derogatory because I don't mean nice things when I call you that, but I'm sure that you don't take it that way. To you it is a moniker of pride and excellence.

Point being that if anything today's discussion just shows that this is a BIG country. As much as I like you and Rich, you guys are really quite ignorant about most of this nation. Normally that isn't a problem. But occasionally on days like today, your complete refusal to debate and discuss just shows how closed minded and regionally viewed you are. Rich getting together with a Texas girl has helped him a LOT though.

I'm not even reading this crap cause its simple. If all your friends are in the klan but you're not racist you still associate and condone their behavior in some sort of way. By you justifying the flag you're still holding on to and associating yourself w/ a group of people who wanted and supported slavery. PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

damn it, I should've been in studio for this one...
texas Wrote:
Covino Wrote:
Pokes28 Wrote:Covino,

I'm pissed at you right now. You open up your phones for discussion and when I call in, you call me a racist and hang up on me and then have the balls to say that nobody has given good points. You should never open up your phones for discussion if you aren't at least going to be willing to listen to people.

Sadly I have to start this off with the normal. I'm not a racist. My family and friends looks like a freaking rainbow. I don't wear nor do I own anything with the Confederate flag on it. The reason isn't because I think it is racist, but I wouldn't wear it simply because so many people do think of it as racist and groups such as Skin heads and the KKK have wrecked its meaning. But I do respect the South and there are a lot of folks that proudly display the flag despite the KKK not in support of them. I was born in California and grew up in Oklahoma which was still Indian Territory during the Civil War. I live in Missouri now which was a free state. So it doesn't even apply directly to me. I love the ideals of this country (I was in the service for 7 years) but I feel like it is headed in a direction that will end its run as the greatest nation on earth.

Slavery was a secondary issue but obviously the most controversial. The real reason the South tried to leave is that there were more Northern states and they controlled the House, Senate, and White House. They continually put in new laws that only impacted the South and due to the numbers, the people in those states could do nothing about it. Just like today the Tea Party (who also use an old flag that was a symbol of rebellion) is strongest in the "fly over states" but the population of the other states is such that there has been a lot of really divisive legislation against the wishes of the majority of people (EX: health care).

The South left the Union not because Lincoln ran for office on the platform of abolishing slavery. He was against slavery but he stated repeatedly that he wouldn't force the South to give up slaves. Very few Southerners owned slaves yet the South as a whole fought for Independence. If it was about slavery, how could that be? Also, General Lee was anti-Slavery. Had the South won the war, Lee would have been the 2nd President of the Confederacy and it is very likely that slavery would have ended under him.

You want to know about what Southerners should be proud. Southern culture consists of very strong emphasis on the Bill of Rights, ultra conservatism, and religion (specifically Christianity). 2nd amendment and the NRA is strongest in the South. The South believes in limited government which is why they felt they could leave the Union. There was nothing in the Constitution that prevented states from leaving the union. There are still a lot of people that would love to have their states form a new more conservative government and leave the USA. In just the last 6 months I've heard that sentiment in Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Alabama, Tennessee, and Georgia. I don't know if it has anything to do with it or not, but the nicest people I've ever met are from these same states.

I understand that people come into a discussion like this with their minds made up. As a person that hasn't a clue about life outside of NY/NJ or now California, it would be very easy to just sit there and pass judgment. It is like when people use the term redneck. They use it as a negative equal to white trash. But to those of us that were raised poor and in farming communities, being a redneck isn't an insult, it is a complement. It simply means somebody working outside doing honest labor. Yet somehow it is derogatory to most people. To me calling somebody a Yankee is derogatory because I don't mean nice things when I call you that, but I'm sure that you don't take it that way. To you it is a moniker of pride and excellence.

Point being that if anything today's discussion just shows that this is a BIG country. As much as I like you and Rich, you guys are really quite ignorant about most of this nation. Normally that isn't a problem. But occasionally on days like today, your complete refusal to debate and discuss just shows how closed minded and regionally viewed you are. Rich getting together with a Texas girl has helped him a LOT though.

I'm not even reading this crap cause its simple. If all your friends are in the klan but you're not racist you still associate and condone their behavior in some sort of way. By you justifying the flag you're still holding on to and associating yourself w/ a group of people who wanted and supported slavery. PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

damn it, I should've been in studio for this one...

I have a feeling it is going to be revisited today. You should call in if it is Sara.

I really do not feel as if I know enough to make a concrete decision of my own on this. I have never truly lived in the south, when I did live in Ft Benning, it was on base and I avoided most of the off base shit not Army or food related. I do refer to people as Rednecks as a sort of insult. I never knew the other side. But then Jeff Foxworthy and those other ass clowns have not really given redneck the best of personas. I guess I should be using White Trash instead of redneck, but that habit is going to be hard to break. On the other hand, I do consider Yankee to be an insult, so maybe it is Pokes in his situation who does not consider redneck and insult.

I don't see the confederate flag as racist, but I do see it as white trash.

Also, as a History major, I can tell you that slavery had little to do with the civil war, it was just painted that way to make the defeat of the south look better. Pokes is right, it was all about states rights and the south not being represented the way they felt they should be. At the time of the Civil War, there were just as many northerners in support of slavery as southerners and there were just as many southerners who wanted to abolish slavery as there were northerners.
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
I find redneck to be offensive.
Pokes28 Wrote:
JDubb Wrote:Well done Pokes, I agree with a lot of what you said. I wish Covino would have taken a few minutes to read you post. You raise the point that got me so pissed the day they were talking about empanadas. Although not the same discussion politically, Rich was using the same broad brush to say no outside of NY/NJ, Miami and Tx knew what empanadas were. It is as though everyone in "Fly-over" USA are ignorant and backward. I love the show but the guys piss me off when they get like this. I wish I hadn't missed the show today.

I wish I had missed the show. I wouldn't still be pissed at that asshat.

"Pokes wears socks w/ sandals"
-POKES WEARS SWOCKS!-

C & R Got FAAAAME! <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.covinoandrich.com">http://www.covinoandrich.com</a><!-- m -->
Covino Wrote:
Pokes28 Wrote:
JDubb Wrote:Well done Pokes, I agree with a lot of what you said. I wish Covino would have taken a few minutes to read you post. You raise the point that got me so pissed the day they were talking about empanadas. Although not the same discussion politically, Rich was using the same broad brush to say no outside of NY/NJ, Miami and Tx knew what empanadas were. It is as though everyone in "Fly-over" USA are ignorant and backward. I love the show but the guys piss me off when they get like this. I wish I hadn't missed the show today.

I wish I had missed the show. I wouldn't still be pissed at that asshat.

Yeah cause Native Americans being proud of their culture is the same as White guys who chained up black people. Great analogy - Pokes wears Sandals w/ socks. (It's true)
-POKES WEARS SWOCKS!-

C & R Got FAAAAME! <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.covinoandrich.com">http://www.covinoandrich.com</a><!-- m -->

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wednesday, August 03, 2016 ~ It's time... Beckster 6 660 08-03-2016, 03:06 PM
Last Post: Beckster
  Monday, April 11, 2016 ~ Spring Time Beckster 0 225 04-11-2016, 11:51 AM
  Thursday 10/1/15 - Decorate Time? Joe 52 545 10-01-2015, 04:12 PM
Last Post: LeNeve
  Wednesday 02/04/15: Time to go home Chip 2 184 02-05-2015, 11:27 AM
  Friday July 25, 2014...Peanut butter jelly time Derick 63 645 07-28-2014, 09:34 AM
  Tuesday 9/17/2013.....Stop!!! Burger time Brampton 84 351 09-18-2013, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Joe
  Tuesday, August 6, 2003 ~ It's PB&J Time Beckster 144 588 08-06-2013, 08:21 PM
  5/25/2012.....Daily thread time Brampton 198 1,260 05-25-2012, 10:40 PM
Last Post: Rydrum
  Wednesday 4/18/2012 - Time to shave Joe 101 1,266 04-19-2012, 08:30 AM
Last Post: JDubb
  Thursday December 22, 2011 - Christmas time is almost here Derick 133 1,179 12-22-2011, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Chip