Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Layer Cake Malbec 2007 Mendoza Argentine
I always see these Layer Cake wines at the PANazi store and wonder if they are good or not. I tried this one b/c I like Malbecs. It was pretty good for a $9 bottle of wine. Cheap reds have a habit of being to acidy. This one was not, the day we opened it. The wife and I both enjoyed it that night. Good rich Malbec taste without the nasty aftertaste of cheap wine. But we did not finish the bottle that night. A few days later, we had the rest. My wife did not like it at all this time and I noticed it tasted different as well, but of course I drank the rest of it.

Moral of the story. Decent cheap red Malbec. Drink it all within an hour or two of opening it.

[Image: LayerCakeMalbec07Web.jpg]
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
I should have posted my warning about Layer Cake sooner. I'm glad you enjoyed it because that is what wine is about but there is so many herbicides, pesticides, suicides, and other chemicals in their wine. That is why your wife didn't like a few days later, the wine opened up and started show itself for what it was no to mention started falling apart. I tasted a Layer Cake Shiraz two weeks ago; I thought I drank Nyquil along with a hand full of aspirin washed down with cheep bourbon.

I'm glad you liked it but remember that the majority of Ausi and New Zealand wines are dirty and full of chemicals. They are getting better and there are a few that farm organicly or with sustainable practices but the majority are still pretty full.
This is an Argentinian wine though, still the same?

I think if it would have been anything BUT a Malbec, I would not have liked it.

I actually have a review on something Australian that I think you will agree with Jdubb, let me get around to it.

I have about 10 empty bottles on my desk to write about. I will get to them all soon.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
Oh, and with what Jdubb said, mixed with my ehhh review, I would say, stay away from Layer Cake wines, even this one.

Layer Cake is basically a marketing company. The buy fruit and bulk juice than slap their name on it. There are large producers of Argentinian wines that are leading the way for organic and sustainable farming in S. America. I cannot say the Malbec you drank was full of "-cides" since they source the fruit but I would venture a guess that it was not the cleanest.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bolla Riesling 2007 Pete Nice 0 1,507 10-06-2010, 02:06 PM
Last Post: Pete Nice
  2007 Michael Pozzan Winery "Annabella" Carneros Pinot Nior JDubb 1 1,270 09-22-2009, 07:33 PM
  2007 Barons De Rothschild (Lafite) Reserve Speciale Bordeaux Pete Nice 0 1,026 08-30-2009, 09:21 PM
  2007 Barone di Valforte Cerasuolo Montepulciano D'Adruzzo JDubb 1 1,466 07-31-2009, 11:15 PM