Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A/C
LeNeve or Brampton
Any idea how much refrigerant it should take to charge the AC in an Expedition? I put in 2 bottles, 32oz total, and still getting hot air. The pressure gauge has gone up, but not where it should be. I am not getting any weird sounds from the compressor, so I figured charging it would work.
you need way more than that please dont listen to me
[Image: cat.gif]
I'm a juggernaut of awesomeness
Derick Wrote:you need way more than that please dont listen to me

I think you are trying to kill me.
Off the top of my head that sounds about right for front ac, but if you have rear ac it will be a bit more.

The compressor is cycling I assume?

Sounds like you might have a broke blend door motor, or the blend door itself. Not uncommon at all. The motor can be changed easily. The door itself, not so much. Dash removal is necessary, and it's like a 10 hour dealer job.
Should be a sticker somewhere on the shroud that says how much r-134 to put in too.
37 ounces for standard A/C

62 ounces for auxilary A/C

Make sure your compressor is actually turning on. Lo and high side gauges (psi) should be equal when car is off.

While running A/C
25-35 psi is normal for low side
150-250 psi is normal for high side

These are just off the top of my head too. I can't find my cheat sheet. The pressures will change with temp and humidity also.
Also if you put the freon in, and it didn't actually need any, then you are creating a problem.
Wow.. Thanks for the info!

It does have rear AC. I am going to check the pressure again later to see if it stayed the same. By your numbers I think I should try another bottle. The compressor appears to turn on, but I guess there could be an issue elsewhere.

So if it does have the rear AC, I need way more that I put in already?
DaveP Wrote:Wow.. Thanks for the info!

It does have rear AC. I am going to check the pressure again later to see if it stayed the same. By your numbers I think I should try another bottle. The compressor appears to turn on, but I guess there could be an issue elsewhere.

So if it does have the rear AC, I need way more that I put in already?
It should tell you how much R-134a you need on the plastic cover overtop of the rad. If you have pressure gauges, thats all you should need to diag any problems
Gauge pressure when not running should be ambient temp.

if its cycling on and off rapidly, you are low. If its not cycling at all, either you got none in the system (leak) or youve put way too much in it.
It is cycling on and off, so I hope that is a good sign. I bought 2 more bottles yesterday, going to put them in later.
:nothingtoadd:
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
How is it that the rear AC is cold and the front AC is hot as fuck. This shit is too advanced for me.
DaveP Wrote:How is it that the rear AC is cold and the front AC is hot as fuck. This shit is too advanced for me.

Broken blend door or motor sounds like. Can you get any temp change at all from the front?
LeNeve Wrote:
DaveP Wrote:How is it that the rear AC is cold and the front AC is hot as fuck. This shit is too advanced for me.

Broken blend door or motor sounds like. Can you get any temp change at all from the front?

None at all. Pressure is where it should be, but I can only get cold air from the rear vents.