Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newcastle
I don't remember ever trying Newcastle until about a year ago. I liked it, but no one ever had it any time I went out for a drink so I kinda forgot about it. A week ago I was at the beer store and picked up a case of it. I'm not much of a beer person, but I love this beer. I was going to pick up a quarter keg of it justr to have it on tap, but they only sell it on half kegs and they want $165 for it.

My question fo you guys is what other beer tastes pretty close to Newcastle?
Any company that does a Brown Ale is going to be a little similar. The only problem is that most are gonna be as expensive as Newcastle. I know Sammy Smith's does a Brown Ale, others might be Sam Adams, Brooklyn, or Sierra Nevada.
I just saw in a magazine that you can get the Newcastle Draught Keg, which holds 5 liters in a mini keg, for $23.
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
jotaka20 Wrote:Any company that does a Brown Ale is going to be a little similar. The only problem is that most are gonna be as expensive as Newcastle. I know Sammy Smith's does a Brown Ale, others might be Sam Adams, Brooklyn, or Sierra Nevada.

I think some of those may be about $30 cheaper for a half keg. What I'm really looking for is something that's available in a quarter keg.
Joe,

Newcastle is one of my favorite beers. The biggest problem with it is that when they put it in bottles, it is in a clear bottle so it gets skunky really quickly which turns that goodness into crap.

I wish you didn't live quite so far North, I'd be telling you to get some Shiner Bock. But I'm 99% certain you can't get it in your area. Shiner has a different flavor, but the same caramelization and similar hop flavoring makes them "close enough."

Part of what makes Newcastle so good is that it is really pretty light on alcohol. Like pretty much all English beers, they don't make things strong on alcohol just because. That makes it a tough beer to replicate.
---------------------------------
Pokes28 -- AKA David in Missouri
You can get Shiner Bock in PA
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
Pete Nice aka P-Woww Wrote:You can get Shiner Bock in PA
That names sounds familiar, although I've never had it. It have a carmelish taste?
Joe In PA Wrote:
Pete Nice aka P-Woww Wrote:You can get Shiner Bock in PA
That names sounds familiar, although I've never had it. It have a carmelish taste?

It is a Bock. So it isn't quite the caramel flavor Newcastle brings. However I would say if you like Newcastle, you will enjoy Shiner. Shiner has a higher alcohol content so while its first sip may taste a touch more rough than Newcastle which has a subtle cream element to it, by the 3rd sip you don't notice.
Oh and make sure that your first Shiner is good and cold. If it is just cool, you likely won't like the taste of it and you will have a hard time giving it a 2nd chance. Error on the side of cold on darker beers the first time you drink them. Then as you drink them, you'll get the taste of it as it warms up. You don't need ice crystals in your beer, just make sure it is good and cold.
jotaka20 Wrote:Any company that does a Brown Ale is going to be a little similar. The only problem is that most are gonna be as expensive as Newcastle. I know Sammy Smith's does a Brown Ale, others might be Sam Adams, Brooklyn, or Sierra Nevada.
I tried Sierra Nevada this weekend. It was kind of like drinking a bottle of cheap perfume.
One of the problems with Sierra Nevada is that generally it isn't purchased quickly so the beer you buy tends to be a bit stale. But at least they use brown bottles.
Pokes28 Wrote:One of the problems with Sierra Nevada is that generally it isn't purchased quickly so the beer you buy tends to be a bit stale. But at least they use brown bottles.

After I told the waitress it sucked she said she was wondering who actually liked it.
Have you been able to find Shiner yet? Oh and if they have it, stay away from the Shiner Black (bottle has a black label). I don't enjoy it at all.
Pokes28 Wrote:Have you been able to find Shiner yet? Oh and if they have it, stay away from the Shiner Black (bottle has a black label). I don't enjoy it at all.
I find it tough to find beer around here. Our beer and liquor stores are separate and the beer stores only carry case beer. Generally they don't bring in too much outside of the standard brands in case stores. When I bought the case of Newcastle it was the only case they had.