Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AutoZone - Cheaper Not Always Better
Sunday I was driving home when I my car shut off leaving me on the side of the road. Luckily I wasn't too far from home and was able to get the car back to my house. The problem was clearly electrical so I had the battery tested and it tested bad. I replaced the battery and while the car started it still wasn't charging the battery. I called around to get prices on an alternator. The dealer wanted $559 for a replacement and the rest of the places wanted between $200 and $350. Autozone however, wanted $155 for one. I was on that like flies on shit!

I get the alternator home and put it in. Normally this is a pretty easy job, but it's a real pain in the ass on my car. I start the car to fine that the battery light now goes on and off. When I test the voltage I fond out that its all over the place. I start to wonder if there is more to the charging system in this car than I thought. Everything that I've learned about cars told me that the problem was a bad alternator again.

I did a little research on the alternators that AutoZone sells. Duralast is the company that remanufactures their electrical parts. They are apparently known for being faulty right out of the box. So much for their "Built to last" commercials. One more than one occasion I've read about people testing their alternators out and they have about a 50% failure rate right out of the box. They give you a lifetime warranty which is nice if you feel like spending hours under the hood of your car.

The story ends like this: I went to NAPA and paid $250 for a rebuilt alternator and the thing worked as soon as I put it in.
Joe In PA Wrote:Sunday I was driving home when I my car shut off leaving me on the side of the road. Luckily I wasn't too far from home and was able to get the car back to my house. The problem was clearly electrical so I had the battery tested and it tested bad. I replaced the battery and while the car started it still wasn't charging the battery. I called around to get prices on an alternator. The dealer wanted $559 for a replacement and the rest of the places wanted between $200 and $350. Autozone however, wanted $155 for one. I was on that like flies on shit!

I get the alternator home and put it in. Normally this is a pretty easy job, but it's a real pain in the ass on my car. I start the car to fine that the battery light now goes on and off. When I test the voltage I fond out that its all over the place. I start to wonder if there is more to the charging system in this car than I thought. Everything that I've learned about cars told me that the problem was a bad alternator again.

I did a little research on the alternators that AutoZone sells. Duralast is the company that remanufactures their electrical parts. They are apparently known for being faulty right out of the box. So much for their "Built to last" commercials. One more than one occasion I've read about people testing their alternators out and they have about a 50% failure rate right out of the box. They give you a lifetime warranty which is nice if you feel like spending hours under the hood of your car.

The story ends like this: I went to NAPA and paid $250 for a rebuilt alternator and the thing worked as soon as I put it in.

That's good to know. I usually go to Advanced Auto Parts for stuff
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
Pete Nice Wrote:
Joe In PA Wrote:Sunday I was driving home when I my car shut off leaving me on the side of the road. Luckily I wasn't too far from home and was able to get the car back to my house. The problem was clearly electrical so I had the battery tested and it tested bad. I replaced the battery and while the car started it still wasn't charging the battery. I called around to get prices on an alternator. The dealer wanted $559 for a replacement and the rest of the places wanted between $200 and $350. Autozone however, wanted $155 for one. I was on that like flies on shit!

That's good to know. I usually go to Advanced Auto Parts for stuff
I bought my battery from them, but they wanted like $330 for the alternator. I used to use NAPA when I worked for a few different auto shops and I don't recall ever having to send anything back.
I've learned my lesson about Autozone when I was buying brake parts for my truck. I don't know about the shops in your area, but the Autozones around here have complete morons behind the counter who don't give a shit about anything.

I've since been going to Carquest for parts and have had much better luck.
Brian in NY Wrote:I've learned my lesson about Autozone when I was buying brake parts for my truck. I don't know about the shops in your area, but the Autozones around here have complete morons behind the counter who don't give a shit about anything.

I've since been going to Carquest for parts and have had much better luck.
I did read 2 stories about people who had brake pads fall apart from AutoZone. The guys behind the counter were pretty clueless. When I told them about the alternator being bad they wanted to test it like they didn't believe me. My girlfriend didn't want to spend extra time at the store so she told them what they were going to do was to give us the money back and no more bullshit. That settled it.
Joe In PA Wrote:My girlfriend didn't want to spend extra time at the store so she told them what they were going to do was to give us the money back and no more bullshit. That settled it.
nice of your girl to come to your rescue
[Image: cat.gif]
I'm a juggernaut of awesomeness
Derick Wrote:
Joe In PA Wrote:My girlfriend didn't want to spend extra time at the store so she told them what they were going to do was to give us the money back and no more bullshit. That settled it.

:poke:
Your best bet is always the dealer. Unless your car is older than 5 yrs always get a brand new part. A Re-man will always run the risk of not working as long.

I find that if you're gonna use a jobber for parts, get the middle to high priced ones, and only the cheap ones if you're gonna be flipping the car soon.
Derick Wrote:
:flipoff: