Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thanksgiving wines
As sommelier to DBN I feel it is my duty to ask what wine everyone is drinking along with their turkey this Thanksgiving and to offer some suggestions.

I will be drinking a Kabenit level Riesling along with a Chiroubles Beaujolais (not nouveau). They should be available almost everywhere. The Riesling is not sweet like most, that is how I like them. Riesling is the classic pairing with Thanksgiving dinner. One thing to keep in mind when buying riesling; the lower the alcohol level the sweeter the wine. There is a lot of information on most riesling labels, especially if you are looking at a German riesling. Just keep it simple; sweet=low alcohol, dry=higher alcohol. Rieslings are generally not heavy alcohol wines and it is hard to find one that will exceed 13% (same with the beaujolais' below).

The beaujolais should be available everywhere this time of year, after all it is beaujolais season. Don't get sucked into buying beaujolais nouveau. That stuff is a step above flavored water. It is not made from the best grapes or from the best regains. If you are going to drink a beaujolais make sure you are drinking a CRU which will have a region listed as part of the label (the French) and you will be happy. Beaujolais is very food friendly but some may be too big for turkey. That is why I suggested Chiroubles which should go with turkey and the fixings very well.

You should easily be able to find both wines for around $20, the beaujolais may be a little bit more. A CA Zin would also be a good bet or a rosé from the southern rhone.
This is good info. I have not bought the wine yet for Thanksgiving, was going to get it tomorrow, but I wanted to try and get two bottles for $20, so I was going to go with a white I have had before, and posted about on here a 2007 Haut Poitou (Sauvignon Blanc). It sells at the PA Nazi stores for 9.99 and us very tasty.

I will check these ones out, but they might be a little out of my price range for what I am looking to spend.
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
Pete, I am all for drinking what you like but I would stay away from sauv blanc with turkey. I think the acid of the sauv blanc will destroy the traditional thanksgiving day foods. The riesling I am drinking is around $10, so within your budget.

Happy Thanksgiving!
JDubb Wrote:sweet=low alcohol, dry=higher alcohol.

That's what I never figured out. I like sweeter wines, if I have to drink wine at all. I really need to learn about this stuff. So, you probably wouldn't recommend the Cap't with the turkey dinner? :mrgreen: I guess one of my cousins is bringing her favorite, but I don't know what she's bringing.
Just because someone can call me Mom now doesn't mean I am gonna be Betty Freakin Cocker and bake any pies.
Beckster is the new Dexter
I HATE PIE!!
JDubb Wrote:Pete, I am all for drinking what you like but I would stay away from sauv blanc with turkey. I think the acid of the sauv blanc will destroy the traditional thanksgiving day foods. The riesling I am drinking is around $10, so within your budget.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Sounds good, I will look for it.
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]