Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Matricom G Box
I figured since we have a Kodi sub forum I'd post my Amazon review of one of the boxes I got for Chrstmas as it may help other potential Kodi users.
Matricom Kodi Box

------------------------------
I have two other media boxes that I built for Kodi and they work great. I thought I'd replace the old PC I was using with a simpler solution like one of these Android boxes. Once the box was plugged in I went through checking for updates and setting up Kodi. Once I had that all done I quick checked the playback of a movie we watched the week before on my Windows Kodi box. Playback was awful. The video was skipping frames and eventually locked to the point of no return. I went back to lower quality movie and tried that and it seemed to work.

Two days later I started the box back up and tried watching something from the YouTube app and it buffered about every 15 seconds. I immediately checked the video from my phone on the same network and it ran fine. I also checked the same video from my SmartTV and had no issues. One more try with the same video on my G-Box brought constant buffering. Streaming movies from the add-ons in Kodi also proved to be almost impossible.

I'm on a Gigabit network behind a high performance firewall connected to Comcast with 2 other home built Kodi boxes running fine. The problem is definitely the Matricom box.

I saw other reviews saying that the bad reviews were people that didn't take the time to set the box up properly. I also saw some people saying to downgrade the firmware to get around other issues. I bought this box as a simpler and smaller solution to what I already had. I didn't buy it to take on another project or to be a beta tester for this company.

I also put in a ticket with Matricom 24 hours ago. I haven't gotten a response yet. Check their forums if you want to learn more about the shortcomings of this box.