Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tuesday, August 26, 2014 ~ Emmy's
What are You In For While the film doesn't tell us exactly what Brooks and Red are serving time for, the novella does. Brooks was convicted of murdering his wife and daughter after a bad gambling streak.

Red killed his wife for the insurance money, inadvertently killing two other people in the process. I guess the filmmakers thought we wouldn't like the characters as much if their sins were revealed.

The role of rockabilly rebel Tommy Williams was originally intended for Brad Pitt. Unfortunately for the film's producers, Pitt was busy showing his fangs in "Interview with the Vampire.

Gil Bellows ended up playing this small but crucial role in the film, and he did a great job.
Just because someone can call me Mom now doesn't mean I am gonna be Betty Freakin Cocker and bake any pies.
Beckster is the new Dexter
I HATE PIE!!
King's novella was entitled "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption." The name was changed to prevent audiences from being confused as some people thought it was a Rita Hayworth biopic. IMDB even reports that Hollywood actresses and agents attempted to snag the nonexistent role of Hayworth prior to the film's production. IMDB even reports that Hollywood actresses and agents attempted to snag the nonexistent role of Hayworth prior to the film's production.
Just because someone can call me Mom now doesn't mean I am gonna be Betty Freakin Cocker and bake any pies.
I HATE PIE!!
Stephen King sold the rights to his novella to director Frank Darabont for $5,000 in the late 1980s, according to the Wall Street Journal. King never cashed the check, and he had it framed and sent to Darabont along with a note that stated, "In case you ever need any bail money. Love Steve."
I HATE PIE!!
Passing Up A Plum Role The list of people considered for roles in "The Shawshank Redemption" reads like a who's who of 1990 Hollywood's elite. Tom Cruise, Johnny Depp, Tom Hanks, and Kevin Costner were all considered. Hanks turned it down because of his commitment to "Forrest Gump. " Costner passed because he was working on "Waterworld." Ultimately, "Forrest Gump" ended up beating "The Shawshank Redemption" for best picture at the Oscars, so I guess Hanks was fairly smug about that.
I HATE PIE!!
Like Father, Like Son There's a good reason that the mug shot of Red you see in the film looks so much like Morgan Freeman. That photo is actually a picture of Freeman's son, Alfonso Freeman. He is also heard yelling "Fresh fish" as the new convicts are entering the prison. This son of Freeman also appeared in some of his father's other films, including "Se7en" and "The Bucket List."
I HATE PIE!!
Salvation Lies Within Andy Dufresne cut his bible in the shape of a rock hammer to hide his escape tool. The page of the book where Andy began cutting is symbolic; he chose the Book of Exodus, representing his escape from bondage just as the Jews escape the bondage imposed by the Pharaoh in the Bible.
I HATE PIE!!
Morgan Freeman Plays an Irishman In King's novella, the character Red is an Irishman. Robert Redford, Clint Eastwood, Paul Newman, and Harrison Ford were all considered for the role. In the end, Freeman won out because his voice was perfect for the narration of the film. Red's line in the film about being Irish was added as a joke that only readers of the novella would catch.
I HATE PIE!!
those were interesting. :high5:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink Tuesday, July 2nd 2019 Joe 34 7 12-01-2020, 03:01 AM
Last Post: smithmachinist725
  Only Tuesday, September 13, 2016 Beckster 3 426 06-27-2020, 08:14 AM
Last Post: monika
  Tuesday, Nov 8, 2016 ~ Election Day Beckster 12 1,974 11-21-2016, 04:48 PM
Last Post: Beckster
  Tuesday, September 6, 2016 - Back Beckster 1 540 09-06-2016, 02:27 PM
  Wednesday, August 31, 2016 ~ Twins! Beckster 5 820 08-31-2016, 03:20 PM
  Tuesday, August 30, 2016 ~ Clowns are scary Beckster 12 1,072 08-30-2016, 02:46 PM
  Monday, August 22, 2016 ~ Batty Beckster 12 1,499 08-29-2016, 05:02 PM
Last Post: Chip
  Monday, August 29, 2016 ~ Go back to bed Beckster 12 1,479 08-29-2016, 03:36 PM
  Friday, August 26, 2016 ~ Chilly Friday Morning Beckster 1 467 08-26-2016, 02:41 PM
  Thursday, August 25, 2016 ~ Yawns Beckster 1 460 08-25-2016, 02:00 PM