Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expedition
This is mainly a question for the Ford guy, LeNeve...

How the fuck do I get to the bolts on a starter on a 98 Ford Expedition.. I am not paying $300+ for someone to put one on this thing, and I want to sell it and get it out of my driveway. Anything else I would need to know for replacing a starter?
a combination of a 3 inch, 6 inch, 3/8 extensions, short 13 mm socket 3/8, long 13 mm socket 3/8, flex head 3/8 ratchet. Have not done one for awhile. They are a bitch though. You have to get it from underneath. jack it up as high as you can. Think there is 3 bolts the top one is the hardest. just use a combo of the tools listed for each bolt, however you can get them to work. You will need a 10 mm wrench or socket for one of the starter terminals also. If you figure out some cool trick let me know, because those suck to change. Takes me 2-3 hours, in an enclosed shop, with a lift, air tools etc...
Disconnect the battery ground cable.
WARNING: The electrical power to the air suspension system must be shut off prior to hoisting, jacking or towing an air suspension vehicle. This can be accomplished by turning off the air suspension switch located in the RH kick panel area. Failure to do so may result in unexpected inflation or deflation of the air springs which may result in shifting of the vehicle during these operations.

Raise and support the vehicle; refer to Section 100-02.
Remove the starter motor solenoid terminal cover.

Disconnect the starter motor electrical connections.
Remove the two nuts.
Remove the battery cable.
Remove the starter solenoid wire.

Remove the nut and the starter motor ground cable.

Remove the three bolts and the starter motor.

Installation

WARNING: When carrying out maintenance on the starting system be aware that heavy gauge leads are connected directly to the battery. Make sure protective caps are in place when maintenance is complete. Failure to follow these instructions may result in personal injury.

Install the starter motor and three bolts.

Connect the cable and install the motor nut.

Connect the starter motor electrical connections.
Position the starter solenoid wire.
Position the battery cable.
Install the nuts.

Install the starter motor solenoid terminal cover.

Lower the vehicle.
NOTE: If equipped with air suspension, reactivate the system by turning on the air suspension switch.

Connect the battery ground cable.
:killme:

nothing should be that hard
[Image: cat.gif]
I'm a juggernaut of awesomeness
Disconnect the ground from the battery

6 + 3 inch extensions, 3/8 ratchet.
13mm socket
10mm socket

Undo the cables from the starter.
Undo the starter bolts.

Reverse the process and you're done!
Derick Wrote::killme:

nothing should be that hard

Everything takes me 2-3 hours.
changing a starter is a bitch, best of luck to you

I'm sure you can take care of it at home, but it's gonna be a pain

do like the guys said, the important part is disconnecting the battery and taking things nice and slow, if you get real frustrated take a break and come back in 5 and then go back at it
MMM Cunty!
Thanks for the advice guys.. I will give it a try. If I fuck it up, oh well...
DaveP Wrote:Thanks for the advice guys.. I will give it a try. If I fuck it up, oh well...

Let me know how long it actually takes you, I'm curious about that.
One other question... I put a brand new battery in it right before I parked it about a year ago. It is definitely dead now. Will I be able to simply jump it and let it run and the alternator will charge it back up again? Or will I have to use a battery charger... or worse, buy a new battery?
Normally you should take the battery out of parked car and put it on a shelf so it doesn't freeze but I am sure it doesn't get as cold there as it does here.
I would use the battery charger and see if it takes a charge first. If it doesn't take charge then you are going to need a new one. Check the warranty on the battery though, depending on the type of battery there is a warranty. Most are 1 year free replacement 5 years pro rated. Although you have to buy a new battery it would be at a less cost and the warranty starts new.
DaveP Wrote:One other question... I put a brand new battery in it right before I parked it about a year ago. It is definitely dead now. Will I be able to simply jump it and let it run and the alternator will charge it back up again? Or will I have to use a battery charger... or worse, buy a new battery?
I would say give it a full charge on a charger. It should be fine from that.
If you just boost it, it will run but it will take a while for it to get fully charged
This is quite a bitch. I have all of the bolts/connections out except the top one. Might be able to get to it with one of the wrenches or universal joints that a mechanic at work let me borrow.

These look like a good idea..

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-Flexible-Bar-Socke...4837e40ff5

But I doubt they would have enough torque to crack the bolt. If they did, it would be perfect.
Success.. fired up the first time. I may need an alternator though. I let it run for about an hour, shut it off, and immediately tried to start it again, and the dome light didn't even turn on. It's weird, because it ran for so long after I jumped it, but 100% dead the second I turned it off. Any thoughts on that?

Again, thanks for the advice, it was very helpful.
DaveP Wrote:Success.. fired up the first time. I may need an alternator though. I let it run for about an hour, shut it off, and immediately tried to start it again, and the dome light didn't even turn on. It's weird, because it ran for so long after I jumped it, but 100% dead the second I turned it off. Any thoughts on that?

Again, thanks for the advice, it was very helpful.

Bad battery. If you get it running again, put a volt meter on the battery, should be running 13.5 - 14 volts. If lower than 12volts then you need an alternator. I'm guessing your battery is probally bad though.
The alternator was what kept it running for so long.