Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions for Christians
1. If a hundred different religions have to be wrong for yours to be right, does this show that people from all over the world like to invent gods that don’t exist?

2. If your parents had belonged to a different religion, do you think you would belong to that religion too?

3. If people from the five major religions are each told conflicting information by their respective gods, should any of them be believed?

4. How can you tell the voice of God from a voice in your head?

5. How can you tell the voice of God from the voice of the Devil?

6. Would you find it easier to kill someone if you believed God supported you in the act?

7. If God told you to kill an atheist, would you?

8. When an atheist is kind and charitable out of the kindness of his heart, is his behavior more or less commendable than a religious man who does it because God instructed him to?

9. If you are against the Crusades and the Inquisition, would you have been burned alive as a heretic during those events?

10. If your interpretation of a holy book causes you to condemn your ancestors for having a different interpretation, will your descendants condemn you in the same way?

11. Rape wasn't always a crime in the Middle East two thousand years ago. Is that why `do not rape’ is not part of the Ten Commandments?

12. Do lions need `god-given' morality to understand how to care for their young, co-operate within a pack, or feel anguish at the loss of a companion? Why do we?

13. If organized religion requires a civilization in which to spread, how could this civilization exist without first having a moral code to make us civil?

14. An all-knowing God can read your mind, so why does he require you to demonstrate your faith by worshiping him?

15. If God is all-knowing, why do holy books describe him as surprised or angered by the actions of humans? He should have known what was going to happen.

16. An all-knowing God knows who will ultimately reject him. Why does God create people who he knows will end up in hell?

17. If God is all knowing, then why did he make humans in the knowledge that he’d eventually have to send Jesus to his death?

18. Why did a supposedly omnipotent god take six days to create the universe, and why did he require rest on the seventh day?

19. Is omnipotence necessary to create our universe when a larger, denser universe would have required more power?

20. Why are Churches filled with riches when Jesus gave all his wealth to the poor?

21. While in the desert, Jesus rejected the temptations of the Devil. He didn't censor or kill the Devil, so why are Christians so in favor of censoring many Earthly temptations?

22. Given that the story of Noah’s Ark was copied almost word for word from the much older Sumerian Epic of Atrahasis, does this mean that our true ruler is the supreme sky god, Anu?

23. If your desire is to convert atheists so that they become more like you; do you think that you’re currently better than them?

24. If religious people don’t respect their children’s right to pick their own religion at a time when they're able to make that decision, how can society expect religious people to respect anyone’s right to freedom of religion?

25. If missionaries from your religion should be sent to convert people in other countries, should missionaries from other religions be sent to your country?

26. If children are likely to believe in Santa Claus and fairies, does this explain why religion has been taught in schools for thousands of years?

27. When preachers and prophets claim to be special messengers of God, they often receive special benefits from their followers. Does this ever cause you to doubt their intentions?

28. When you declare a miracle, does this mean you understand everything that is possible in nature?

29. If a woman was cured of cancer by means unknown to us, and everyone declared it a miracle, would the chance of scientifically replicating this cure be more or less likely?

30. If humans declared fire to be a miracle thousands of years ago, would we still be huddling together in caves while we wait for God to fire another lightning bolt into the forest?

31. If God gave a man cancer, and the Devil cured him to subvert God’s plan, how would you know it wasn't a divine miracle? What if he was an unkind, atheist, homosexual?

32. Should an instruction to convert to your religion upon the threat of eternal torture in hell be met with anything other than hostility?

33. Can a mass murderer go to heaven for accepting your religion, while a kind doctor goes to hell for not?

34. Did the mass murdering Crusaders and Inquisitors make it into the Christian heaven?

35. How can we know what is right when we don’t know for sure who makes it into heaven and hell?

36. If aliens exist on several worlds that have never heard of your god, will they all be going to hell when they die?

37. If someone promised you eternal life, the protection of a loving super being, a feeling of moral righteousness, a purpose for living, answers to all the big questions, and a rule book for achieving the pinnacle of human potential… and all in exchange for having faith in something that wasn't proven, would you be suspicious?

38. If someone promised to give you a billion dollars after ten years, but only if you worshiped them until that time, would you believe them? If someone promised to give you eternal life upon death, but only if you spent your life worshiping a god, would you believe them?

39. Why does religion appeal more to poor, weak, vulnerable, young, ill, depressed, and ostracized people? Could religious promises be more of a temptation to these people?
Church is bad mmmkay. Believing in a higher power whatever or whoever that is is a good thing. Being a decent human is a good thing. And all of the above or something like that.
I didn't read them yet. I just reposted.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Go back to Reddit Joe......just kidding

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III possibly while taking a dump
Brampton Wrote:Go back to Reddit Joe......just kidding

LOL. That's what I do all day.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Joe Wrote:1. If a hundred different religions have to be wrong for yours to be right, does this show that people from all over the world like to invent gods that don’t exist?

Scientology was created as a sci-fi book

2. If your parents had belonged to a different religion, do you think you would belong to that religion too?

I was raised a Christian, went away from it and came back by choice. I believe I would have chosen my faith

3. If people from the five major religions are each told conflicting information by their respective gods, should any of them be believed?

False prophets exist, and always have

If it isn't in accordance with the Bible than it is not God. A Christian must be discerning

If you can't tell, where is your heart?

6. Would you find it easier to kill someone if you believed God supported you in the act?

I don't believe God would tell me to kill somebody

Again, I don't believe God would tell me to do this

8. When an atheist is kind and charitable out of the kindness of his heart, is his behavior more or less commendable than a religious man who does it because God instructed him to?

A "religious" man is usually a hypocrite. Good people are good people

9. If you are against the Crusades and the Inquisition, would you have been burned alive as a heretic during those events?

I believe those were done for the sake of expanding the wealth of a kingdom, and not for the sake of a faith. Kinda like fighting a "war" in the middle east for America

10. If your interpretation of a holy book causes you to condemn your ancestors for having a different interpretation, will your descendants condemn you in the same way?

In the same breath, it is biblically known to have a family curse. Where the sins of the father affect the son et al. I don't see how its also different to have a sibling who doesn't have the same beliefs as you

11. Rape wasn't always a crime in the Middle East two thousand years ago. Is that why `do not rape’ is not part of the Ten Commandments?

Wouldn't rape be "adultery"?

12. Do lions need `god-given' morality to understand how to care for their young, co-operate within a pack, or feel anguish at the loss of a companion? Why do we?

We have feelings and so do they. There is also instinct.

13. If organized religion requires a civilization in which to spread, how could this civilization exist without first having a moral code to make us civil?

What?

14. An all-knowing God can read your mind, so why does he require you to demonstrate your faith by worshiping him?

John 4:23

15. If God is all-knowing, why do holy books describe him as surprised or angered by the actions of humans? He should have known what was going to happen.

Ask God. People have free will, God has his rules.

16. An all-knowing God knows who will ultimately reject him. Why does God create people who he knows will end up in hell?

17. If God is all knowing, then why did he make humans in the knowledge that he’d eventually have to send Jesus to his death?

18. Why did a supposedly omnipotent god take six days to create the universe, and why did he require rest on the seventh day?

19. Is omnipotence necessary to create our universe when a larger, denser universe would have required more power?

20. Why are Churches filled with riches when Jesus gave all his wealth to the poor?

Not all churches are filled with riches. Most churches aren't wealthy, and use their funding on community outreach and missions

21. While in the desert, Jesus rejected the temptations of the Devil. He didn't censor or kill the Devil, so why are Christians so in favor of censoring many Earthly temptations?

In what way? By rejecting the temptation, and trying to help others stay away from it

22. Given that the story of Noah’s Ark was copied almost word for word from the much older Sumerian Epic of Atrahasis, does this mean that our true ruler is the supreme sky god, Anu?

23. If your desire is to convert atheists so that they become more like you; do you think that you’re currently better than them?

No. I am no better than anyone, and they are no better than I am. I have a faith that hopefully I reflect with my actions

24. If religious people don’t respect their children’s right to pick their own religion at a time when they're able to make that decision, how can society expect religious people to respect anyone’s right to freedom of religion?

This is a generalization. And if a parent has trouble accepting that their child goes in a different direction that them, that means they are a human. Whoops

25. If missionaries from your religion should be sent to convert people in other countries, should missionaries from other religions be sent to your country?

They are

26. If children are likely to believe in Santa Claus and fairies, does this explain why religion has been taught in schools for thousands of years?

Did Bill Maher writhe these?

27. When preachers and prophets claim to be special messengers of God, they often receive special benefits from their followers. Does this ever cause you to doubt their intentions?

If a preacher/ profit claim to be special, than they should be questioned. If what they speak isn't biblical they should be rejected

28. When you declare a miracle, does this mean you understand everything that is possible in nature?

Can anyone explain everything? No

29. If a woman was cured of cancer by means unknown to us, and everyone declared it a miracle, would the chance of scientifically replicating this cure be more or less likely?

Isn't that what a miracle is? Unexplainable events

30. If humans declared fire to be a miracle thousands of years ago, would we still be huddling together in caves while we wait for God to fire another lightning bolt into the forest?

31. If God gave a man cancer, and the Devil cured him to subvert God’s plan, how would you know it wasn't a divine miracle? What if he was an unkind, atheist, homosexual?

32. Should an instruction to convert to your religion upon the threat of eternal torture in hell be met with anything other than hostility?

33. Can a mass murderer go to heaven for accepting your religion, while a kind doctor goes to hell for not?

If someone accepts Christ in their heart, truthfully, then they can go to heaven.

34. Did the mass murdering Crusaders and Inquisitors make it into the Christian heaven?

I don't know

35. How can we know what is right when we don’t know for sure who makes it into heaven and hell?

Well that's a question of faith, now isn't it?

36. If aliens exist on several worlds that have never heard of your god, will they all be going to hell when they die?

37. If someone promised you eternal life, the protection of a loving super being, a feeling of moral righteousness, a purpose for living, answers to all the big questions, and a rule book for achieving the pinnacle of human potential… and all in exchange for having faith in something that wasn't proven, would you be suspicious?

38. If someone promised to give you a billion dollars after ten years, but only if you worshiped them until that time, would you believe them? If someone promised to give you eternal life upon death, but only if you spent your life worshiping a god, would you believe them?

39. Why does religion appeal more to poor, weak, vulnerable, young, ill, depressed, and ostracized people? Could religious promises be more of a temptation to these people?

Matthew 5:3-12

I answered some of these questions, while I didn't answer some. I also didn't feel the need to answer the overwhelmingly insulting ones

1. If a hundred different religions have to be wrong for yours to be right, does this show that people from all over the world like to invent gods that don’t exist?
See Brampton's comment about Scientology.

I don't necessarily have a religion, but my parents are Catholic and I know I don't have the same beliefs.

I don't ever worry about what others believe unless it harms me in some way.

I think if I heard an actual voice I'd be concerned.

I think for most people it's a matter of common sense. If the devil tells me to help feed the poor that can't be such a bad thing. At the same time I'd use my own discretion if God told me to kill the poor.

I wouldn't find it easy to kill anyone regardless. I also don't think anyone's god would tell them to kill.

God wouldn't tell me to kill anyone.

I don't think God would stop influencing Athiests, but at the same time, good people are just good people regardless of what they believe in.

I don't believe those were religiously motivated.

No, it's an understanding that people evolve.

NO not drive drunk isn't a commandment either.

They are God's creations aren't they?

Good people are just good people regardless of religion.

And this is where my beliefs are different than most others. I don't think God is so selfish that he needs me to worship him.

I think we are given our own free will.

Free will

Free will. If God knew how everything was going to play out than what would be the point of us?

I don't know, but I do think he needed a day to browse Reddit.

How about just taking some time to plan shit out?

I think some churches abuse their position in the community

Because some of them are misguided

I don't believe in the Arc story

I have no desire to convert anyone

Religion will have to evolve.

They are sent to our country. Mostly it's crazy ones that fly plans into shit. They are doing it wrong.

I can see where this would be insulting

Absolutely

I don't declare miracles

Less likely

We didn't have the science we do today. Maybe science is a miracle?

I don't think God gives people cancer

That is kind of messed up

If it were true that anyone could go to Heaven for accepting god in their final days than it would be too easy.

Nah

We do know what is good and what is bad. That's common sense for most of us

Who says they don't know? Who says there is aliens?

I am always suspicious.

I believe in obeying, not worshiping

People need somewhere to turn in hardship. It's proven that religion helps those in need because religion is more about God. It's also about community.
A "diest" is someone who believes a higher being (like a God) exists, but relies on logic and reason to support their beliefs.
Joe Wrote:1. If a hundred different religions have to be wrong for yours to be right, does this show that people from all over the world like to invent gods that don’t exist?
Religion is ultimately a representation of people's different perspectives, so I figure it anyway. God is a divine being, but man created different religions to worship him and those are based on cultural factors and other such things. And then there's those wack-a-doo Scientologists.... :roll:

My mom is Catholic and my Dad's religion has no name (they are like more modern Mennonites). I've never practiced my Dad's faith, they are too strict for my taste. I do consider myself Catholic, like my Mom, because it's what I know.

That sounds rather ignorant of a question.

Dumb question, but I would say it's essentially that subconsciousness part of you that guides you through what is right and what is wrong.

See above

Seriously?

He wouldn't do that. It's not his thing.

A humble person lives a life in God's image. It's always those good and humble people that get recognized, not the ones who feel they have to advertise their beliefs ... or something like that.

Probably

I don't really condemn anyone

I thought it fell under "do not covet the neighbor's wife"?

They have their own version. :wink:

I am skipping this one

Basically it's living a good and honest life.

Books were written by man, not God himself and, therefore are quite biased.

He gave us free-will and the ability to choose

I'll ask Him

6 days were not 6 "24 hour" days. That story was also told in a way to entertain and captivate people's attention.

Apparently so, because I tried and couldn't make one.

Not all churches are. And many churches take what they get and use right right back in the community. Who runs most shelters, retreats, and soup kitchens? Churches!

Because He did it for us. Christians fear they will give in to weakness.

I didn't know that. I still say those tales were stories told as a way to teach people morals. Be good or God will flood your ass.

That's ignorant to force your beliefs on others. Lead by example, but let them find their own way.

Most children will go with the one they were raised by.

They are

Like it or not, religion has played a huge role in the history of the human race. Santa was based on a real person. A saint, in fact. I don't recall learning about fairies in school.

Yes

Life is a miracle.

Probably less, if it's not obvious what cured her.

He is our teacher.

The real God does not discriminate

No. That's just dumb.

Who says that would ever happen? No one told me I could break a Commandment before I was baptized, so I could clear my way upstairs.

I am pretty sure they are still suffering for their sins they committed.

The 10 Commandments and your morals are supposed to guide you.

We can ask them when we discover them.

It's more complicated than that.

Said the sarcastic atheist

Sometimes it's those who types of people who listen better.
Just because someone can call me Mom now doesn't mean I am gonna be Betty Freakin Cocker and bake any pies.
Beckster is the new Dexter
I HATE PIE!!
That was a lot of questions to answer... I am tuckered out now.
Just because someone can call me Mom now doesn't mean I am gonna be Betty Freakin Cocker and bake any pies.
I HATE PIE!!
beckster aka Tatertits Wrote:That was a lot of questions to answer... I am tuckered out now.
I liked your answers for this.
LeNeve Wrote:
beckster Wrote:That was a lot of questions to answer... I am tuckered out now.
I liked your answers for this.

:thanks:

I seem to answer these kinds of questions better when I breeze through them.
I HATE PIE!!
TL/DR.

Seriously. I'm not a fan of religion at all. A look back through history shows that a whole lot of bad things have been done in the name of religion...and it isn't any different now.

On the other hand I'm a huge proponent of spirituality. My relationship with God is one that is based on what I think Jesus said and my personal experiences. It's between the Trinity and me. I know what I know and believe what I believe. I don't force any of it on anyone and will not allow anyone to force anything on me.

I'm also a big fan of Pascal's Wager. I know where my bet lies.
I am not a fan of religion either! I consider myself a follow of Jesus Christ. Many people are believers in God(or a higher power). I have a personal relationship with Jesus, the son(and earthly form) of God. I know that sounds far-fetched by many. I have read & studied the Bible & I chose to believe it through faith. Believing in Jesus takes faith what it says is true. Many dissect the Bible in the name of religion. Many reject it because it can't be proven. Others despise & hate it even though they have never even opened & read a single word. I don't judge others for whatever reason they either believe in God or religion & I try not to force my beliefs down someone's throat.
The number 1 reason for people to not believe in God is because they know someone who does!!!
 - I’m a loner, Dottie, a rebel.
Hondo and Eddie make very good points. I am like Hondo, I believe what I believe. I do not need religion to tell me how to be a good person, I know that in my heart. There are those that need religion. My mother-in-law needed religion because in a lot of ways religion helped define her as a person and as a Christian. I always struggled with religion and have a very very hard time with those that look at the bible as a "historical" document. As B said above; the bible was written by "man" (male or female, most were men) and was based on the time and customers of that time as a way to control the masses. The early Christian/Catholic church created the bible as we know it today because it help prop up their dogma and their version of religion.

I do not see religion as a good thing I see it as a very divisive force that is responsible for more harm/bad then good.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  50 Interview Questions Joe 1 1,334 05-10-2011, 03:13 PM
Last Post: Beckster
  13 questions to ask — and win over — the job recruiter Joe 4 2,337 01-28-2010, 06:55 PM
Last Post: DaveP
  The 25 most difficult questions you'll be asked on a job int Joe 4 2,531 09-13-2009, 10:04 AM
Last Post: Perezident