Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Job Interviews - Selling yourself short.
I had a phone interview tonight at 6 O'Clock. I got in from work like 15 minutes before the interview and rushed to the computer to hit the web and research the company and the person that was interviewing me. The interview came on short notice so I didn't have the time yesterday to check things out. The company is big (owned by the same company that owns DHL) and that's the kind of environment I want to work in. There was a lot to learn in the 15 minutes I had.

I also looked up the guy that was doing the interview and found him on Linkedin. They apparently weren't having just anyone call me. This guy is the IT director for a company that employs thousands of people. His past resume was no joke either. I have to say that it intimidated me A LOT.

The phone interview was set to start at 6 and end around 6:30. He called at 6 on the dot. The first questions were basically just asking me about my current job and what I do on a day to day basis. I thought it was going pretty well and I started to feel a bit comfortable. I think I either got a bit too comfortable or I was still nervous because I really sold myself short.

There were 3 key things that I needed to know for this job. One of them I'm an expert at and the other two I am more knowledgeable at than any of my coworkers. The problem was when I was asked about the other two I said I was very proficient in them, but not an expert. I happen to know two guys that specialize in this two areas and they are what I consider experts. I thought throwing a bit of honesty in would put me above the shitheads we hire that bullshit their way though interviews. I've also learned from past experience that if you say you are an expert at something you're going to be challenged on it.

Kind of right around the time (6:16 PM) I threw my honesty out there I was told that I was probably not the best fit for the position. At that point, the guy was all about saying his goodbyes and moving on.

I was NOT FINISHED! I told the guy my stance on not considering myself to be an expert at anything because this field is ever changing and there is always something to learn. I told him I'd rather be honest than oversell myself. He commended me for my honesty and before I got off the phone I told him to hang on to my number. I told him that if he comes up short finding an expert that I'd certainly exceed their expectations in filling that position.

We'll see....
Oh yeah, I have to say that it did help ease the blow by getting the news that I'm moving on to a more advanced position. There are two other people in that role and they are the most technically advanced people in the company. :high5:

It better pay more!
Good luck bud! Hope you get something that makes you happy soon.
Rockitdog-C&R forum
Twitter: @TheMattEllis, FB: facebook.com/mattellis23
Good luck, your experience is why I tend to dislike phone interviews. I am like you with being honest. I'd rather get a job for what i know & not for what they heard me say I know. These people do enough interviews to know when someone is bullshitting them. I am hoping for a call back from my phone interview today, it went very well & is the type of job I have hoped for, we shall see :pray:
aka ChrisinPCNY aka Chris3mes1
Xbox- D0NGINAT0R
I plan on starting to interview soon.

If I get asked what me weakness is, I will say "honesty".

If they say "I do not think honesty is a weakness".

I will respond "I don't give a fuck what you think".
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
Dont sell yourself short, if your knowledgeable in the subject, sell that shit. I would avoid words like expert (for the reasons you stated), but dont undermine your knowledge of a subject cause you dont think your an expert, maybe some people do.
[Image: cat.gif]
I'm a juggernaut of awesomeness
That's as bad as thinking of what you could have said after the fact.

An interview question I was asked once was "What would make you quit a job?" I didn't want to say drama and bullshit, so I went with a better job offer for my answer. She laughed and told me that she liked my honesty.
Just because someone can call me Mom now doesn't mean I am gonna be Betty Freakin Cocker and bake any pies.
Beckster is the new Dexter
I HATE PIE!!