Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hurricane Sandy Story
This is from a Ford tech that works in Manhattan. The guy is a freaking genius when it comes to electrical systems. Anyway, I thought it was interesting enough to post I guess. Someone asked if they were open yet in manhattan.

"Thanks.
I didn't come to work Monday to Wednesday.
Yes we got hit hard, not this dealership, but this area.
As you probably have seen on TV, southern half of Manhattan is dead.
I live on South Beach, Staten Island, about 1/4 mile up the hill between the beach and Verrazano Narrows Bridge. My elevation is about 150 feet, so the surge didn't make it to my house, but it destroyed many houses and businesses close to the water. My friend owns a house about 500 feet from the boardwalk- he and his family stayed at our house- their house got flooded with about 5 1/2 feet on the first floor.
Many owners/residents in the evacuation zone chose to stay, because when they evacuated last year during hurricane Irene, their unoccupied homes were broken into and looted.
This time around right after the hurricane there were packs of _______( fill in the blanks ) walking around , breaking into houses, stealing what was left of people's posessions. They were even walking and driving around on my street trying to get into houses.
Couldn't even call police- power was out, no cell phone service...
Next day national guard troops were brought in, followed by increased police presence.
This is like Katrina.
Now people are fighting to get fuel.
Is this a civilized USA or is it some tribal area of Afganistan or Iraq ? Because looking outside if power goes out, I'm not sure.
But anyway, to answer your question, the dealershio is fine.
Thanks for asking and sorry for the long rant.
Sending my prayers to all thise affected by this monster storm, especially in NJ and NY."
A very good friend the of mine lives in Little Silver, NJ. We were fraternity brothers in college. The surge wiped out his entire first floor of his house. His house had 6 feet of water in it. Then it caught fire and the fire took out 1/3 of his house. He his wife and his kids (ages 12, 10, 6) and 2 dogs are staying in a hotel nearby but can only stay for a week before they have to leave b/c the hotel was presold. We works on Wall Street, which is still under water and out of power, so he can not even go to work.

The good, kind of, part is, the contractor says he should be able to live in the good half of his house in about a week or so. The insurance company says everything will be replaced, but there will be some out of pocket such as deductible and odds and ends. They were able to save all their clothes and toys, but lost all their hockey gear, him and all three of his sons were playing. That is thousands of dollars in hockey gear.

To top it off, his family has been going through some medical issues over the last year. Him and his wife have not really been on a vacation in a very long time. They were really excited to go to London for the Steeler game next year, a bunch of us are going with our wives. He is not sure he can go now.

All the guys are getting together and we are buying his tickets and paying for his hotel in London. On top of that, we are gathering up gift cards to restaurants, movie theaters, clothing stores and home repair stores so that they can go eat and keep entertained during the repairs. Some people are sending them cash also. We take care of our own.
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
we just got power today- but have no real damage (water, or tree related). Have to buy all new food, and had to get some blankets but we were super fortunate.
Rydrum Wrote:we just got power today- but have no real damage (water, or tree related). Have to buy all new food, and had to get some blankets but we were super fortunate.

same here, no power until Friday night but very fortunate. Landlord had a generator to save the majority of our fridge stuff.

I just saw pictures of Long Beach NY, it looks like a deserted island, they were hit hard by Irene last year & demolished by Sandy.

I hope over time everyone can rebound
aka ChrisinPCNY aka Chris3mes1
Xbox- D0NGINAT0R
Glad everyone I know has seemingly come through ok. What an awful storm this was.
Rockitdog-C&R forum
Twitter: @TheMattEllis, FB: facebook.com/mattellis23
Chris, how did your grandmother/aunt's place manage on the beach?
I was a Little League superstar, don't hate.

Dudebro #5 on the Rich Davis poll and Dudebro #11 on the Steve Covino Poll.  Former Dudebro #18.
[Image: 1square07.jpg][Image: 1square01.jpg]
Pete Nice Wrote:A very good friend the of mine lives in Little Silver, NJ. We were fraternity brothers in college. The surge wiped out his entire first floor of his house. His house had 6 feet of water in it. Then it caught fire and the fire took out 1/3 of his house. He his wife and his kids (ages 12, 10, 6) and 2 dogs are staying in a hotel nearby but can only stay for a week before they have to leave b/c the hotel was presold. We works on Wall Street, which is still under water and out of power, so he can not even go to work.

The good, kind of, part is, the contractor says he should be able to live in the good half of his house in about a week or so. The insurance company says everything will be replaced, but there will be some out of pocket such as deductible and odds and ends. They were able to save all their clothes and toys, but lost all their hockey gear, him and all three of his sons were playing. That is thousands of dollars in hockey gear.

To top it off, his family has been going through some medical issues over the last year. Him and his wife have not really been on a vacation in a very long time. They were really excited to go to London for the Steeler game next year, a bunch of us are going with our wives. He is not sure he can go now.

All the guys are getting together and we are buying his tickets and paying for his hotel in London. On top of that, we are gathering up gift cards to restaurants, movie theaters, clothing stores and home repair stores so that they can go eat and keep entertained during the repairs. Some people are sending them cash also. We take care of our own.

[smiley]I love this story[/smiley] (the helping a bro out part, not his fucked up house part)
Just because someone can call me Mom now doesn't mean I am gonna be Betty Freakin Cocker and bake any pies.
Beckster is the new Dexter
I HATE PIE!!
Pete Nice Wrote:Chris, how did your grandmother/aunt's place manage on the beach?
she actually rents it out now, & lives in Florida full time now

they took in about 8 feet of water, so entire basement flooded & almost made it to the first floor Confusedhock:
aka ChrisinPCNY aka Chris3mes1
Xbox- D0NGINAT0R